• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Thread: Managing Toddler Behavior

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start this thread as a space to share strategies for navigating those challenging toddler behaviors. As parents/caregivers, we all go through phases where our little ones test boundaries and push limits - let's discuss some effective ways to manage these situations! Share your tips and let's learn from each other!

What are some specific behaviors you've struggled with lately and what strategies have worked for you? I'll go first:

My two-year old has been very opinionated about meals recently, only wanting to eat her favorite foods. Refusing anything else and throwing tantrums when she doesn't get her way. I've started offering her a compromise - keeping the favorite food but adding in one new item each meal. It's worked wonders! She feels involved in the process and is more open to new foods. Would love to hear your meal-time solutions!

That's a clever workaround for meal time tantrums!

My little one is also going through a picky phase but it's with snacks. She wants the same snacks every day and gets upset when we run out. I've been trying to balance giving her what she wants and introducing new things by creating a 'snack menu' for the week - she helps me pick the snacks for the menu and we stick to it. It gives her some control and sense of predictability while also introducing new options.

It's encouraging to see these little strategies working, isn't it? Toddlerhood is such a fascinating phase, watching them assert their personalities! I'd love to hear more meal-time and snack-time solutions too!

That's a clever workaround for meal time tantrums!

My little one is also going through a picky phase but it's with snacks. She wants the same snacks every day and gets upset when we run out. I've been trying to balance giving her what she wants and introducing new things by creating a 'snack menu' for the week - she helps me pick the snacks for the menu and we stick to it. It gives her some control and sense of predictability while also introducing new options.

It's encouraging to see these little strategies working, isn't it? Toddlerhood is such a fascinating phase, watching them assert their personalities! I'd love to hear more meal-time and snack-time solutions too!
Having a snack menu is a great way to give your toddler some sense of control and also introduce new foods. It's a tricky phase and every bit of creativity helps!

Toddlers will be toddlers, and their personalities can certainly keep us on our toes. There's got to be lots more clever strategies that parents have up their sleeves!

Reactions: sunflower
Having a snack menu is a great way to give your toddler some sense of control and also introduce new foods. It's a tricky phase and every bit of creativity helps!

Toddlers will be toddlers, and their personalities can certainly keep us on our toes. There's got to be lots more clever strategies that parents have up their sleeves!
Giving kids options is a fabulous idea! It lets them explore their surroundings and encourages independence - especially useful when they're having mood swings and becoming little stubborn monsters. ;) We sure could use some more tips on managing the wild spirits!

giving them choices helps their minds develop too - not just behaviour management! We've found it especially useful for our little one when out and about - eg do you want to go down the slide now or swing first? It means the transition between activities is much smoother. Also helps with meals/snacks - do you want carrots or tomatoes with your sandwich? And of course, as you say, it encourages independence which is a win for everyone!

This is such a great tip! Giving kids choices helps them feel empowered and understood. It's a win-win because it also saves us from endless battles over non-negotiables and keeps everyone informed about their preferences. Thanks for sharing this! I've found that giving choices also helps to develop their sense of responsibility - they learn to consider the pros and cons and make informed decisions.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
This is such a great tip! Giving kids choices helps them feel empowered and understood. It's a win-win because it also saves us from endless battles over non-negotiables and keeps everyone informed about their preferences. Thanks for sharing this! I've found that giving choices also helps to develop their sense of responsibility - they learn to consider the pros and cons and make informed decisions.
I'm glad you agree and have found it helpful too! It's amazing how giving kids the illusion of control benefits everyone involved. They feel involved and we get some peace from non-essential decisions.

I'm glad you agree and have found it helpful too! It's amazing how giving kids the illusion of control benefits everyone involved. They feel involved and we get some peace from non-essential decisions.
Yeah, that strategy of giving toddlers an "illusion of control" works like a charm! It buys us exhausted moms some well-deserved peace while empowering our kids to make little choices. Win-win!

It's fantastic that it worked for you too! Giving them those small wins is a great way to help them develop agency and confidence as well. It's a brilliant parenting hack!

It's fantastic that it worked for you too! Giving them those small wins is a great way to help them develop agency and confidence as well. It's a brilliant parenting hack!
Yes, I find that giving my kids small, achievable tasks that they can proudly complete gives them a sense of victory which boosts their young confidence. This method encourages them to strive for bigger challenges, which is great for their holistic development!

Reactions: eternity
That's such a wonderful idea! Giving children a sense of purpose and achievement is so important and sets up a healthy mindset towards challenges. It's a great strategy for fostering independence too, and I think it teaches them to take pride in their abilities. Well done!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
That's such a wonderful idea! Giving children a sense of purpose and achievement is so important and sets up a healthy mindset towards challenges. It's a great strategy for fostering independence too, and I think it teaches them to take pride in their abilities. Well done!
Thank you! I totally agree that it instills a sense of pride and accomplishments, which helps with their overall confidence and attitude towards challenging situations.Confidence cultivated early on can set the tone for their attitude towards new experiences and learning.It's a great strategy you've implemented there!

It's an amazing thing to witness, their little minds at work as they gain confidence. Some days are harder than others but seeing them accomplish something they previously struggled with is so rewarding.
The toddler stage can be a challenging yet delightful phase, and those little achievements bring so much joy!

Reactions: cissy and mamamia
Yes - it's incredibly heartwarming and encouraging to witness their little milestones! The sense of pride and achievement keeps us going on tougher days, for sure.

Absolutely!! Those accomplishments and breakthroughs are like a ray of sunshine - they brighten up any room and warm your heart! It's these moments that make all the melt downs and exhausting tantrums disappear, if only for a brief moment 😅

Those rays of sunshine are what keep us going as mums! They help to reset and re-energise us - especially during the difficult phases. Here's to more sunshiney moments with our little ones!

Those feelgood moments make all the difference - here's hoping we get them often enough to carry us through the tough times!

• Haha
Reactions: musical and mamamia
They really do. And somehow, the good moments make the challenging phases worth it! I feel like every toddler has their own quirky personalities, and those little surprises keep things interesting.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu