• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What strategies do you find most helpful for managing your toddlers' behavior?

As parents, we all deal with tantrums, defiance, and meltdowns at some point, and it's never easy! I'll go first - my go-to strategy these days is using distraction as a form of damage control. When I see a tantrum coming on or my toddler seems particularly wound up, I try to redirect her attention towards something else - preferably an activity she can focus on deeply, like a captivating toy or quick game outside.

It doesn't always work, but more often than not, it helps to calm things down and avoid an all-out meltdown! I'm keen to hear what others do in these situations; any simple yet effective tricks you use regularly?

Distraction is a clever strategy, as are deep pressure touches - a tight squeeze or hug can help calm them down and prevent an explosion! I also find giving my child choices helps avoid the stubbornness and defiance that can crop up around this age.

For instance, asking them to choose between two outfits lay out on their bed can help them feel some autonomy and sidestep a potential battle. Same goes for mealtimes - offering two or three acceptable options can help them feel involved and in control, which seems to defuse a lot of potential arguments!

Distraction is a clever strategy, as are deep pressure touches - a tight squeeze or hug can help calm them down and prevent an explosion! I also find giving my child choices helps avoid the stubbornness and defiance that can crop up around this age.

For instance, asking them to choose between two outfits lay out on their bed can help them feel some autonomy and sidestep a potential battle. Same goes for mealtimes - offering two or three acceptable options can help them feel involved and in control, which seems to defuse a lot of potential arguments!
Offering choices is a great way to empower them and prevent power struggles! I especially love how you give options within limits, teaching them to make decisions while drawing boundaries simultaneously.

Toddlers are notoriously unpredictable; these strategies definitely require quick thinking and creativity!

Choice is a clever power play; you're giving them an illusion of control, which they so desperately want as toddlers assert their independence. It's like a strategic retreat, a wise maneuver that prevents a pointless battle!

Choice is a great tactic that I often employ as well! It's amazing how a simple 'Do you want to wear your sweater first or put on your shoes first?' can make a difference.

Giving them some form of control and involvement in their routine also helps develop their decision-making skills, which is an important life skill.

As for touch, it's certainly true that a good snuggle or a high-energy tickle session can be a great distraction technique and one I employ often, especially if my son is in a destructive or defiant mood. It usually ends up being a giggle fest, which sets a better tone for the rest of the day.

I find that these simple strategies work well for our everyday tantrum situations, but I'd love to hear any further tips on more challenging behaviors!

Choice is a great tactic that I often employ as well! It's amazing how a simple 'Do you want to wear your sweater first or put on your shoes first?' can make a difference.

Giving them some form of control and involvement in their routine also helps develop their decision-making skills, which is an important life skill.

As for touch, it's certainly true that a good snuggle or a high-energy tickle session can be a great distraction technique and one I employ often, especially if my son is in a destructive or defiant mood. It usually ends up being a giggle fest, which sets a better tone for the rest of the day.

I find that these simple strategies work well for our everyday tantrum situations, but I'd love to hear any further tips on more challenging behaviors!
The joy and laughter from a tickle session can never be understated - it's a wonderful de-escalation tool and a great release of positive energy!

Tickles are a great way to inject some fun and positivity into a challenging situation! Not only does it lighten the mood, but it also teaches them about consent and boundaries - a good lesson for life!

That's an awesome trick to keep in your parenting toolbox! It's amazing how we can turn challenging moments into teachable ones. Well done!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really try hard every day to make sure I am doing right by my little one, so this means a lot. It's wonderful when we can all share tips and learn from each other too - it takes a village! I'm glad you found this helpful and hopefully it will work well for you too :)

It's true - parenting is so much easier when we support one another and share advice! We all want what's best for our children, and hearing strategies from other parents can be a godsend. I'm happy that you're finding this conversation helpful!

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
It's true - parenting is so much easier when we support one another and share advice! We all want what's best for our children, and hearing strategies from other parents can be a godsend. I'm happy that you're finding this conversation helpful!
it's wonderful to have supportive parenting conversations and exchange valuable insights! (Don't mind me and my cheery mood - it's been a good day so far, toddler-wise!)

Reactions: sunnydays
That's awesome! Here's hoping the rest of the week continues with minimal tantrums and maximum joy! ;D
That'd be fantastic! I hope you're braced for any challenges ahead though, and if they come - they won't knock you down! Have a great evening! 😃😉

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Tomorrow is a new day, There's always something exciting about mornings after a good night's rest, especially when you're a toddler exploring and learning new things! Looking forward to another day of fun adventures. Rest up, parents! 😀

Good luck! Nature walks are fun, hope your little one enjoys it and finds some cool things along the way. Keep us updated on what Toddler Discovers!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu