• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers! They're cute, curious, and full of energy. But let's face it - their behaviour can also be a challenge sometimes. This is the place to share your wisdom on navigating those tricky toddler years. Whether it's tantrums, sibling rivalry or potty training, let's discuss effective strategies we've found, so we can all survive (and thrive!) during this fun phase of parenting. I'll start - my little one has recently discovered the word "No!" and likes to practice it loudly and frequently. Any tips on managing defiance and encouraging positive behaviours?

One strategy that might help with the defiance and asserting boundaries is to acknowledge your toddler's autonomy and sense of self while also gently reinforcing limits. For instance, when my child says a loud and dramatic "NO!" I respond with a light-hearted, "Wow, you really don't want to do XYZ, huh? That's some strong feeling! But this is what we need to do right now because..."

I try to follow it up with a simple explanation of why we're doing something - whether it's because it's mealtime or cleanup time or we need to leave the park. I find that giving a reason helps my toddler understand the purpose behind the request and might make him more willing to cooperate, especially if he understands the rationale.

Also, giving options within boundaries can help too. For instance, "We need to clean up now. Would you like to put away the blocks or the toys?" It makes the child feel a sense of control and can make the whole experience less daunting.

Positive reinforcement is also a great tactic - lots of praise when they do cooperate, or offer solutions ("Wow, you put your toys away all by yourself! You're such a big helper!")

Good luck and stay strong!

One strategy that might help with the defiance and asserting boundaries is to acknowledge your toddler's autonomy and sense of self while also gently reinforcing limits. For instance, when my child says a loud and dramatic "NO!" I respond with a light-hearted, "Wow, you really don't want to do XYZ, huh? That's some strong feeling! But this is what we need to do right now because..."

I try to follow it up with a simple explanation of why we're doing something - whether it's because it's mealtime or cleanup time or we need to leave the park. I find that giving a reason helps my toddler understand the purpose behind the request and might make him more willing to cooperate, especially if he understands the rationale.

Also, giving options within boundaries can help too. For instance, "We need to clean up now. Would you like to put away the blocks or the toys?" It makes the child feel a sense of control and can make the whole experience less daunting.

Positive reinforcement is also a great tactic - lots of praise when they do cooperate, or offer solutions ("Wow, you put your toys away all by yourself! You're such a big helper!")

Good luck and stay strong!
You're right about acknowledging their newfound sense of independence; it's a tricky stage to navigate! I like your suggestion about giving options; I'll definitely give it a shot.

My current strategy, which sometimes works, is to acknowledge her feeling and then redirect her attention. So, I'd say, "I hear you don't want to XYZ. It's frustrating, isn't it? But look over here - we have these tasty blueberries!" Or if she's throwing a tantrum because she wants the red dress, which is currently in the wash, I'll offer an alternative: "Your favorite twirly skirt is clean and ready to wear!"

It's also important to get down to their level and speak softly, so it feels like a connection rather than a demand. I'm sure you know what I mean! Toddlers want to be understood, the world makes sense when we explain things simply and directly.

What other strategies do you guys have up your sleeves for those defiant moments?

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Great additional tips! I totally get what you mean about connecting at their level - it's amazing how effective it is to just squat down and make eye contact!

I find giving choices works well for our strong-willed kiddo too, but sometimes he gets overwhelmed by too many options, so I try to offer two reasonable alternatives. For instance, if he's resistant at bedtime, I might say, "Do you want Daddy or Mommy to tuck you in tonight?"

Also, we've been trying to implement a "first, then" strategy where we tell him the first task that needs doing, followed by what he can expect next ("First finish your broccoli, then you can have some ice cream!"). It encourages him to cooperate because he knows there's an end goal in sight and it helps with his anticipation.

And when all else fails - and I need to get him out of the house on time - I resort to a distraction technique my mom used on me as a kid. I ask him to help me with something nearby, like fetching his shoes or helping me zip up my purse. He feels useful and forgets about the meltdown trigger!

It's a tricky phase, but so fascinating to navigate!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Love all your strategies! Connecting at their level and offering choices are such great ways to approach toddler behavior - it's all about meeting them halfway!

The "first, then" strategy is new to me but so brilliant; it's wonderful how you're helping him develop his sense of anticipation and keeping him in the loop. I'll have to remember that one! And what a clever distraction technique - making them feel helpful is such a sweet approach and a win-win for everyone.

It's a fascinating phase and sounds like you're nailing it!

Love all your strategies! Connecting at their level and offering choices are such great ways to approach toddler behavior - it's all about meeting them halfway!

The "first, then" strategy is new to me but so brilliant; it's wonderful how you're helping him develop his sense of anticipation and keeping him in the loop. I'll have to remember that one! And what a clever distraction technique - making them feel helpful is such a sweet approach and a win-win for everyone.

I must say, it doesn't always feel like I'm nailing it, haha. But I appreciate your kind words!

These strategies have definitely helped make life easier, and I'm glad to share them with you guys. There's so much to explore in helping our little ones navigate this fun - yet often overwhelming - world of theirs. And it's heartening to hear others' success stories too!

I'm keen on any more tips everyone has on managing the defiant phases, especially ways to keep interactions positive and fun. After all, that's what parenting should be about, right?

Yeah, the challenges keep me on my toes, that's for sure! Haha. But I enjoy discovering these strategies, and fortunately, toddlers eventually outgrow some of these phases (or at least that's what I tell myself!).

Do share your techniques if any of you have other quirky but effective ways to manage those tricky behaviors! It's such a fun stage but also rewarding when you find ways to communicate and connect.

I've found that toddler-proofing the entire house goes a long way in giving me some peace of mind! Since they're naturally curious and adventurous, I make sure all cabinets are secured and locked, especially the ones with cleaning products or sharp objects. I also babygate areas that have potential hazards like stairways or kitchen entrances so I don't have to constantly hover while still allowing them some freedom to explore.

Another strategy is engaging their little minds! Toddlers love playing games and getting all the attention, so I make sure to incorporate lots of fun, interactive activities like hide-and-seek, sticker charts (for potty training), or even just singing and dancing along with them. That way, they stay occupied and are less likely to get into mischief. Plus, it's a great way to bond!

When all else fails, diverting their attention works wonders! If they're having a meltdown over something they can't touch or have, I find redirecting their focus towards something exciting, like a short walk outside or a fun snack, helps calm them down. It takes their mind off the "forbidden" object and reminds them of all the fun things they CAN enjoy.

I agree it's such a rewarding stage, even with the challenges! It's so heartwarming to see how they explore and learn from every experience, and the little ways they show affection truly make it all worthwhile.

I've found that toddler-proofing the entire house goes a long way in giving me some peace of mind! Since they're naturally curious and adventurous, I make sure all cabinets are secured and locked, especially the ones with cleaning products or sharp objects. I also babygate areas that have potential hazards like stairways or kitchen entrances so I don't have to constantly hover while still allowing them some freedom to explore.

Another strategy is engaging their little minds! Toddlers love playing games and getting all the attention, so I make sure to incorporate lots of fun, interactive activities like hide-and-seek, sticker charts (for potty training), or even just singing and dancing along with them. That way, they stay occupied and are less likely to get into mischief. Plus, it's a great way to bond!

When all else fails, diverting their attention works wonders! If they're having a meltdown over something they can't touch or have, I find redirecting their focus towards something exciting, like a short walk outside or a fun snack, helps calm them down. It takes their mind off the "forbidden" object and reminds them of all the fun things they CAN enjoy.

I agree it's such a rewarding stage, even with the challenges! It's so heartwarming to see how they explore and learn from every experience, and the little ways they show affection truly make it all worthwhile.
It's fantastic how you've made the space safe for exploration - toddler-proofing is such an essential aspect many of us might overlook until we see things from the tiny tot's perspective!

Engagement and diversion tactics are definitely lifesavers and help keep the household sane, too! It's a great idea to have a repertoire of interactive activities up our sleeves because, as you've said, it's such a delightful way to bond while keeping them occupied.

And those cute little affection displays make every challenging moment worthwhile - parenting gold!

It's a challenge to see things from their perspective, but it makes toddler-proofing worth all the effort. Their curious minds and mischievous little hands can get into everything, so ensuring their safety is priority number one!

I've found that keeping a stash of engaging toys and activities helps me a lot, especially when the energy levels are high, or meltdowns loom near. It's amazing how creative we can get in a pinch to come up with fun ideas! And you're so right about the affection - those cuddles and kisses make our hearts grow and help us forget the tough moments.

What other tactics have worked for you all? I'm sure everyone would love to hear some fresh ideas on keeping the little ones entertained and engaged!

It's a challenge to see things from their perspective, but it makes toddler-proofing worth all the effort. Their curious minds and mischievous little hands can get into everything, so ensuring their safety is priority number one!

I've found that keeping a stash of engaging toys and activities helps me a lot, especially when the energy levels are high, or meltdowns loom near. It's amazing how creative we can get in a pinch to come up with fun ideas! And you're so right about the affection - those cuddles and kisses make our hearts grow and help us forget the tough moments.

What other tactics have worked for you all? I'm sure everyone would love to hear some fresh ideas on keeping the little ones entertained and engaged!
As a mother of two, one thing that worked well for managing the energy of my little tornadoes (besides the aforementioned distraction and toddler-proofing) is exhausted them with outdoor playtime. A good old game of tag or hide-and-seek outside helped wear them down, so they'd be pooped enough to eat their weight in veggies come dinner time.

Another trick up my sleeve is a DIY busy board - a homemade sensory toy with buckles, locks, velcro, and buttons for them to fiddle with. It kept my toddlers occupied for surprising amounts of time, especially when I needed some me-time or prep meals. You can also make one with a theme, like a farm or an ocean, for some extra fun and learning.

Besides that, I agree with sunnydays - sticker charts! They're not just for potty training; I used them for incentivizing good eating habits too. My little girl responded well to the visual motivation (and the stickers were a fun activity on their own).

Every toddler's different, so finding what works best may take some trial and error. But that's half the fun!

You're spot-on about the importance of seeing things from their perspective - it's a real eye-opener and humbling at times! Their boundless energy and curiosity can certainly keep us on our toes, so having a bag of tricks up our sleeves is a great tactic.

I've also found that taking them outdoors helps tremendously, weather permitting. A simple trip to the park or a stroll around the neighborhood captures their attention span and gives them a break from the same old indoors. Nature walks are exciting for them, where they can pick up leaves, spot birds, and explore little creatures. It's a nice way to wear them out too, so we appreciate the quiet time afterward!

Otherwise, indoor camping is a fun activity when stuck indoors. A simple tent with a cozy setup keeps them entertained for hours, and it's a cute little adventure for them. We can sneak in some educational elements too by discussing shapes and colors or letting them "camp" with their favorite stuffed animals and tell stories.

Anything to keep the little ones active and engaged is a win in my book!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Those are some great ideas! Taking them outdoors is a fantastic way to occupy their curious minds and let them expend all that endless energy. Nature walks and park visits are wonderful ways to engage their senses and explore - and like you said, it tires them out too!

The indoor camping idea is adorable and such a creative way to keep them entertained when stuck inside. Setting up a little tent with cozy amenities feels like a fun adventure for them and makes being indoors more exciting.

It's a constant juggling act managing their energy and attention spans, so any tips to keep the little ones occupied are much appreciated!

Those are some great ideas! Taking them outdoors is a fantastic way to occupy their curious minds and let them expend all that endless energy. Nature walks and park visits are wonderful ways to engage their senses and explore - and like you said, it tires them out too!

The indoor camping idea is adorable and such a creative way to keep them entertained when stuck inside. Setting up a little tent with cozy amenities feels like a fun adventure for them and makes being indoors more exciting.

It's a constant juggling act managing their energy and attention spans, so any tips to keep the little ones occupied are much appreciated!
I find that involving them in household chores - Laundry Day, anyone? Can be a hoot with a helper! A toddler's enthusiasm is contagious, so why not include them in some light dusting or sweeping? It keeps them busy and teaches them little responsibilities.

Also, I discovered "clean-up" songs that encourage them to join in the actual cleaning up! There's something about music that makes it more enjoyable for them - and it's cute seeing their little dance moves as they tidy up.

Storytelling sessions are another favorite in our house. Cosying up with some fluffy pillows and letting their imaginations run wild is an easy way to capture their attention, especially with interactive stories where they can choose the plot twists! It encourages creativity and lets them practice those verbal skills.

These are just a few ways I keep my little monkey entertained. Would love to hear other creative ideas!

I find that involving them in household chores - Laundry Day, anyone? Can be a hoot with a helper! A toddler's enthusiasm is contagious, so why not include them in some light dusting or sweeping? It keeps them busy and teaches them little responsibilities.

Also, I discovered "clean-up" songs that encourage them to join in the actual cleaning up! There's something about music that makes it more enjoyable for them - and it's cute seeing their little dance moves as they tidy up.

Storytelling sessions are another favorite in our house. Cosying up with some fluffy pillows and letting their imaginations run wild is an easy way to capture their attention, especially with interactive stories where they can choose the plot twists! It encourages creativity and lets them practice those verbal skills.

These are just a few ways I keep my little monkey entertained. Would love to hear other creative ideas!
Having some help around the house as their little helpers sound fun! Teaching them young is a great way to prepare them for responsibilities, plus they get to feel involved and important.

Storytelling with props and cosying up pillow-style is a wonderful way to let their imaginations run free - it's almost like an escapade for them! Plus, it's a great bonding session, especially with interactive stories and lots of snuggles.

Fresh ideas are always welcome!

Turning household chores into a game can really help make them fun and engaging for toddlers! For example, you could create a "Dirty Laundry Mountain" and have your little one help you climb it and wash all the clothes - they'd probably enjoy the physical play aspect too.

Storytelling is a great idea to keep their minds active and encouraging imagination. A creative corner with different dress-up outfits and props could make story time even more exciting!

What other fun ways do you all engage your toddlers while teaching them new skills?

Turning household chores into a game can really help make them fun and engaging for toddlers! For example, you could create a "Dirty Laundry Mountain" and have your little one help you climb it and wash all the clothes - they'd probably enjoy the physical play aspect too.

Storytelling is a great idea to keep their minds active and encouraging imagination. A creative corner with different dress-up outfits and props could make story time even more exciting!

What other fun ways do you all engage your toddlers while teaching them new skills?
It's amazing how turning mundane tasks into games can make them more enjoyable for toddlers! Teaching them cooking or baking skills is a fun way to engage their senses and prepare them for some independent living. A toddler-sized aprons, a step stool in the kitchen, and some safe utensils are all they need to join you in preparing meals. They can help wash produce, mix batters, or stir ingredients - a great way to spend quality time together while they learn about food and hygiene.

Another "game" that worked well involved teaching them basic gardening skills. Giving them their own patch of plants to care for and some tiny gardening tools let them mimic what grown-ups do and encouraged an appreciation of nature. It taught them responsibility too, as they observed seeds growing into plants with proper care!

Anything hands-on and sensory is sure to be a hit!

Great suggestions! I love the idea of teaching them gardening skills, giving them their own patch and tools - it's a wonderful way to connect with nature and learn patience too as they watch their plants grow. My little one loved helping with watering the plants and still asks to help with our garden!

Anything that gets them helping in the kitchen is a win in my book, especially when it comes to baking and licking the bowl! It's a great way to sneak in some learning about measurements and ingredients too - though I agree lots of mess is half the fun!

Teaching them gardening and kitchen skills young is a wonderful idea and a great way to involve them in everyday tasks. It's awesome they enjoy helping out too - especially when there's baking involved! Messy play is so much fun and a fantastic learning experience, and it's amazing how patient they can be when something exciting is growing or cooking!

Reactions: luciana
It's a great way to expose them to different senses and textures - the feeling of soil, the smell of freshly baked goods...all wonderful! And it's an easy way to teach them about responsibility too.

Reactions: cissy and wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu