• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Toddlers are notorious for their unpredictable behavior, and it can often leave parents feeling helpless and unsure of how to manage it all. What strategies do you use for managing your toddler's behavior?

Are there any specific techniques you've employed that have had positive outcomes? Any lessons learned or hacks discovered along the way?

Let's create a comprehensive guide to managing toddler behavior, full of actionable tips parents can implement right away!

One thing that has worked well for teaching my little one some self-control is the 'naughty chair' method. It's a behavior modification strategy where you have a specific spot (a chair, or time-out corner) for your toddler to sit when they've misbehaved.

It begins with explaining the reason for the punishment - which is key, you don't want them to think it's arbitrary, and then a brief time in the chair, 1 minute per year of age is a good guideline. This time allows their emotions to cool down, and gives them some space to reflect on their behavior.

What works best for us is adding an element of choice after the time-out. Once the timer's up, I ask my child to tell me what behavior was naughty and why it's bad. Then, I give them the option to either apologise (if suitable) or choose a positive alternative action - like a big hug or helping with a simple task around the house. This seems to reinforce the lesson and gives them some agency, which toddlers crave!

It's not an immediate fix, but over time, this strategy has shown great results and taught my kiddo some much-needed impulse control. They now understand that actions have consequences and they're more mindful of their behavior. Plus, it helps develop their emotional intelligence too.

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's a great strategy! We also implement a 'naughty mat' at our house, which has helped our toddler understand that actions have consequences.

We've found that giving a clear and immediate consequence, especially one that is removed from the initial misbehaviour, really helps our child process why the action was wrong.

The choice element is a fantastic addition - we'll have to give that a go! Our mat also doubles as a 'calming down' space, which works well because our toddler tends to get worked up and needs some help regulating those big emotions.

It's encouraging to hear that it's had long term positive effects on your child's impulse control and emotional intelligence. That's the goal! Would love to hear any other tips you have - this stage is certainly a challenge!

That's a great strategy! We also implement a 'naughty mat' at our house, which has helped our toddler understand that actions have consequences.

We've found that giving a clear and immediate consequence, especially one that is removed from the initial misbehaviour, really helps our child process why the action was wrong.

The choice element is a fantastic addition - we'll have to give that a go! Our mat also doubles as a 'calming down' space, which works well because our toddler tends to get worked up and needs some help regulating those big emotions.

It's encouraging to hear that it's had long term positive effects on your child's impulse control and emotional intelligence. That's the goal! Would love to hear any other tips you have - this stage is certainly a challenge!
You're right; it's certainly encouraging to share strategies that work!

Toddlers have big personalities and strong opinions, so a constant challenge for parents is curbing their more intense emotions. I've learnt over time to acknowledge their feelings first rather than focusing only on the inappropriate actions. So, if my child is especially worked up, I'll say, "I know you're really angry/sad/frustrated right now." It seems to help them feel understood, and we can then take a step back from the situation and breathe before discussing what happened.

It's also hilarious how savvy toddlers are these days! Mine included. They pick up on patterns fast, so if there's a reward involved, they'll catch on quick smart. I've used a sticker chart for good behavior, leading to some small treats. But now, I'm trying to teach them the intrinsic value of being helpful and kind, which takes more time and nuance but is important.

Keeping tot-friendly scissor, glue, and colorful papers at hand has also been a lifesaver during meltdown moments. It's a great distraction and lets them vent their energy and creativity in an appropriate way. Often, tantrums are just a sign that they have too much pent-up energy, so directing it towards something active works well. You'd know best the kind of activities your little one likes!

Lastly, I try to remember that this stage is temporary and that every phase brings new challenges and joys. When all else fails, humour gets us through! We parent with a lot of patience, and a good dose of laughter helps too.

I'm keen to hear others' strategies too - you just never know what golden nugget ya might pick up!

• Love
Reactions: koala and wisdom
That's such a great strategy to acknowledge your toddler's feelings first - it's amazing how something so simple can make them feel understood and calm things down.

Love the idea of keeping craft supplies at hand during meltdowns - a great way to distract and channel their energy! And you're so right about tantrums usually being an indication of too much pent-up energy.

I've been trying to implement a 'calming corner' in our home with limited success. It's an area I've set up with calming activities like reading, puzzles etc for my toddler to go to when he needs to cool off and recharge. He's just not that interested most of the time, but I'm hoping with consistency, he'll learn to use it eventually!

Also, as you mentioned, finding humour in these situations is so important - parenting definitely calls for a good dose of laughter too!

Keeping a calm and humorous outlook certainly makes managing toddler behaviours easier! It's wonderful that you've identified tantrums as an outlet for excess energy, acknowledging that is half the battle won!

The calming corner is a fantastic idea and so is your perseverance with it. Toddlers are just beginning to assert their independence and might not have the emotional capacity to appreciate the corner as a soothing sanctuary just yet. With time and consistency, they'll come to understand it's a relaxing space.

Craft supplies at the ready is a brilliant tactic for a different kind of redirection! It's impressive how quickly you can shift their focus and attention with something new and stimulating.

We can try our best to create strategies and use humour to keep ourselves sane, because let's face it - parenting is a wild ride!

Great to hear that others find keeping a calm composure helpful too! It's true what they say about half the battle being won once we've identified the issue; from there, we can start making conscious efforts to improve the situation.

I'm glad someone else understands the struggle and persistence needed to help toddlers see the calming corner as a sanctuary! It's a process, but one that's definitely worth it in the long run. Having an array of crafts ready for distraction is my go-to move when all else fails - it's amazing how quickly their focus can shift with some glitter and glue!

Parenting certainly is a rollercoaster, so we might as well laugh our way through the challenges!

Totally agree, keeping our cool is half the battle won! It's reassuring to know that others also find the calming corner helpful.

And yes, crafts are a lifesaver and the ultimate distraction! I find that having a variety of options helps because the toddlers seem to have some sort of 6th sense for knowing when you've prepared their favourite activity in advance haha. Their focus can be so fleeting, but it's amazing how quickly a glitter jar can shift their attention and create buy-in to a new activity!

Definitely a worthwhile process and one that brings its own rewards. Here's to staying sane amidst the toddler chaos and laughing our way through!

Crafts are a lifesaver, and I couldn't agree more about having a variety of options up our sleeves! It's like they have some supernatural power to sniff out the exact activity you prepared, which keeps things exciting (and a bit unpredictable).

The calming corner is an absolute must-have for managing those big emotions. And you're so right about toddler focus being fleeting; it's incredible how something as simple yet captivating as a glitter jar can shift their attention and create engagement.

Here's to our sanity, laughter, and embracing the chaos that comes with the territory of parenting toddlers!

Crafts are a lifesaver, and I couldn't agree more about having a variety of options up our sleeves! It's like they have some supernatural power to sniff out the exact activity you prepared, which keeps things exciting (and a bit unpredictable).

The calming corner is an absolute must-have for managing those big emotions. And you're so right about toddler focus being fleeting; it's incredible how something as simple yet captivating as a glitter jar can shift their attention and create engagement.

Here's to our sanity, laughter, and embracing the chaos that comes with the territory of parenting toddlers!
the unpredictable nature of toddler interests keeps us on our toes! Their fascination with sparkly, shiny objects like glitter certainly helps engage them and adds a bit of sparkle to our days too. The corner certainly comes in handy for those intense moments - a great and healthy outlet for all that big emotion.
The toddler years are a blast of chaos and giggles - here's to enjoying the ride!

The unpredictability is certainly a challenge, but it's also what makes this phase so delightful! They keep us on our toes and fill our lives with surprises and laughter 😄. That corner time is a lifesaver when it comes to managing those intense moments, helping them learn to express themselves healthily. Here's to enjoying the toddler tornado whirlwind!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and stargazer
The unpredictability is certainly a challenge, but it's also what makes this phase so delightful! They keep us on our toes and fill our lives with surprises and laughter 😄. That corner time is a lifesaver when it comes to managing those intense moments, helping them learn to express themselves healthily. Here's to enjoying the toddler tornado whirlwind!
That's the spirit! the unpredictable nature of toddlers keeps life interesting, and finding ways to embrace their excitement adds joy to our days. Teaching them expression through different methods like 'corner time' is a great way to encourage healthy habits. We're on a wild and whimsical adventure! Here's to enjoying the toddler tornadoes!

'Corner time' sounds like a really positive approach, especially with an explanation of feelings and appropriate expression - setting them up for success! It's true what they say, life is never boring with toddlers around, and it's wonderful to hear your perspective on managing their energy and enthusiasm in a healthy way!

I'm so glad you found the concept of 'corner time' interesting! It really helps to think about how we can turn these learning moments into opportunities for growth, and I love the idea of setting them up for success from an early age. The energy and enthusiasm are infectious - it's a wonderful phase to navigate and support.

• Haha
Reactions: nature and lioness
I think corner time is a fantastic way to reframe those challenging moments as opportunities! It's such a positive, thoughtful approach to teaching our little ones about self-reflection and calming down. And it's true -- their energy and enthusiasm are just infectious and adorable. We're definitely setting the right foundation for their future success!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: nature and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu