• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As our little ones transition into the toddler stage, we often find ourselves navigating through new challenges related to behavior. From tantrums to whining, it's easy to feel overwhelmed. Let's discuss strategies and share our experiences managing these behaviors, especially those tricky moments when our toddlers seem to have a mind of their own! What techniques have worked for you, and what situations still leave you scratching your head? Join the conversation! Share your insights and let's learn from each other's successes (and failures!) in managing toddler behavior.

One strategy I've found helpful in managing my tot's behavior is turning household chores into a game. For example, my little one loves 'helper' roles, so I involve her in tasks like setting the table or sorting laundry. We make it fun and compete to see who can place the spoons fastest or match the most socks! It keeps her engaged and makes her feel useful, plus we get stuff done.

Another trick up my sleeve for those tricky moments is having a quick go-to snack stash. When my kiddo is having a meltdown, offering a tasty treat that she loves can sometimes be a lifesaver to distract and redirect her attention. It's amazing how a favorite cracker can shift her focus and calm her down! These strategies work well for us, but I'm interested to hear other parents' tactics for managing those tricky behaviors!

One strategy I've found helpful in managing my tot's behavior is turning household chores into a game. For example, my little one loves 'helper' roles, so I involve her in tasks like setting the table or sorting laundry. We make it fun and compete to see who can place the spoons fastest or match the most socks! It keeps her engaged and makes her feel useful, plus we get stuff done.

Another trick up my sleeve for those tricky moments is having a quick go-to snack stash. When my kiddo is having a meltdown, offering a tasty treat that she loves can sometimes be a lifesaver to distract and redirect her attention. It's amazing how a favorite cracker can shift her focus and calm her down! These strategies work well for us, but I'm interested to hear other parents' tactics for managing those tricky behaviors!
That's a clever way to make chore time fun! My little fussy eater would definitely be tempted by the snack idea too. I've also found that redirecting their attention can be a lifesaver, especially when we're out and about. If they're fixated on something unsafe or inappropriate, I try to subtly divert their attention to something more suitable. Like at the park, if they head straight for the dog pond, I quickly point out the cool slide instead. It often works like a charm, but it's definitely a constant juggle!

That redirection tactic is so smart, especially the subtle approach - they have no idea they're being distracted! And it's great to hear the snack idea works for another mom too. We don't know how much these little ones attention spans will be tested in the outside world, but having some tricks up our sleeve definitely helps!

- we're doing our best to prepare for those tantrum moments! Snacks work like a charm and it's nice to have a few tricks focused on distraction too.

• Love
Reactions: travelmum and koala
Snacks and distractions are life-savers! It's great to have some tactics up your sleeve to help manage those tricky tantrum situations. What other distraction techniques do you use? We're always looking for new ideas to add to our toolbox!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Snacks and distractions are life-savers! It's great to have some tactics up your sleeve to help manage those tricky tantrum situations. What other distraction techniques do you use? We're always looking for new ideas to add to our toolbox!
Distraction techniques are definitely the go-to when all else fails! Sometimes, I'll start a game of peekaboo or tickle wars as a diversion, which usually gets their attention and laughs, especially if they're in a grumpy mood.

If we're out and about and meltdowns strike, I make it a mission to spot interesting things around us. We play a game where I point out random things like birds, or funny-shaped clouds - anything to pique their curiosity and shift the focus. It's amazing how a quick change of scenery can help too. I'll whisk them away to another part of the park or suggest a different activity, which sometimes helps snap them out of the grumpies. You just need to think fast on your feet!

That's a great strategy! I also find that using distraction helps lessen the intensity of the tantrum and melts downs, especially if you're out in public. Shifting their focus onto something else, like a change of scenery or an interesting activity, is such a smooth way to manage the situation without adding fuel to the fire. It's almost like a little magical trick! And yes, quick thinking on the spot is key - got to be one step ahead with these distraction techniques up our sleeves!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Distraction is a life saver, and often a parent's secret weapon! It's amazing how quickly things can escalate during a tantrum, and having a few distraction techniques up your sleeve can really help manage the situation without making it worse. I find that having a bag of tricks ready, like a fascinating toy or an exciting activity to divert their attention, can be a real helps smooth things over. It's also great to know other parents use these methods too - it's reassuring when we're all trying to navigate these situations!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy
Distraction is definitely an art and can be a real lifesaver! I love the idea of having a 'bag of tricks' - it's so true how quickly things can escalate, especially when out and about.

I find some simple toys like sticker books are great as they're small enough to throw in the diaper bag and don't make a mess, plus they're super engaging. Also having snacks at the ready is a fantastic idea - hungry toddlers are definitely cranky toddlers! I've also found success with giving my toddler a special 'special job' - it could be something simple like helping me choose which vegetables to pick up at the grocery store or handing me things from my purse, but it feels like a fun adventure for them and helps keep their minds off whatever is causing the meltdown.

What other distraction techniques work for you guys?

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
I agree that giving toddlers a specific job or task is so helpful! My go-to line when my toddler starts to get antsy is, “Mommy needs your help!” and it usually buys me some time while engaging her in whatever chore I’m doing, like picking out ingredients at the store or setting the table for dinner.

I also keep a stash of cheap, novel toys that I rotate through so they seem fresh. Things like playdough, small coloring books, or those little magnetic drawing boards are compact and easy to throw in a diaper bag. Having a few different options to switch between can be good too because the novelty tends to wear off after a few minutes!

Another trick up my sleeve for when we’re out is playing the animal sounds game. I’ll ask my toddler to start making animal noises and then match her, which usually results in some silly noises that attract looks of confusion from other people - but hey, it works! anything to avert a full-blown tantrum.

Great minds think alike! I also find giving my toddler tasks to be very helpful when eating out or doing groceries. It teaches them responsibility and keeps their minds occupied!

The toy rotation idea is genius and something I will definitely implement - especially with the holidays coming up, it's a great time to repurpose old toys and gift wraps!

And love the animal sounds game - might have to join in with some quacking and moo-ing myself!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Great minds think alike! I also find giving my toddler tasks to be very helpful when eating out or doing groceries. It teaches them responsibility and keeps their minds occupied!

The toy rotation idea is genius and something I will definitely implement - especially with the holidays coming up, it's a great time to repurpose old toys and gift wraps!

And love the animal sounds game - might have to join in with some quacking and moo-ing myself!
It's fantastic to hear these tactics work for other parents too! It gives me more confidence that I'm doing something right as well. Happy to share the ideas around - there's no need to reinvent the wheel! And yes, the sounds game is a funny one and sure gets some interesting looks haha!

Reactions: luciana

What other ways do you manage your child's behaviour when out and about?

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
It's fantastic to hear these tactics work for other parents too! It gives me more confidence that I'm doing something right as well. Happy to share the ideas around - there's no need to reinvent the wheel! And yes, the sounds game is a funny one and sure gets some interesting looks haha!
The shared experiences and suggestions are valuable, offering a sense of camaraderie among parents going through similar struggles. It's assuring to know that these common strategies work for many families!

It’s a great feeling to have some go-to strategies up your sleeve, especially ones that have been tried and tested by other parents! It can certainly help take some of the guesswork (and Googling!) out of parenting.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
It’s a great feeling to have some go-to strategies up your sleeve, especially ones that have been tried and tested by other parents! It can certainly help take some of the guesswork (and Googling!) out of parenting.
You're spot on! Experience is an excellent teacher, and learning from other parents' successes and challenges is a wonderful way to approach this new phase with some confidence. Parenting can be overwhelming; such strategies offer a refreshing perspective and a sense of solidarity!

Experience-backed wisdom is an invaluable asset in parenting, offering a comforting guidance through the unknown! It's reassuring to know others have trodden this path before and emerged with strategies to navigate these challenges. Let's embrace the solidarity and insights shared within this group - it's a refreshing approach indeed.

Experience-backed wisdom is an invaluable asset in parenting, offering a comforting guidance through the unknown! It's reassuring to know others have trodden this path before and emerged with strategies to navigate these challenges. Let's embrace the solidarity and insights shared within this group - it's a refreshing approach indeed.
Having that experience to lean on, and learning from other parents, takes some of the mystery out of parenting and really helps to keep you sane! We can all use some sanity saves, especially amidst the hectic toddler years.

Solidarity among parents is such a beautiful thing! It definitely eases the overwhelm of parenthood, especially when you're figuring things out day by day. There's really nothing quite like the shared experiences of other moms and dads to make you feel less alone and more empowered.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu