• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I need some ideas on managing my 2 year old's behavior. I feel like nothing I do is working lately - both my partner and I have tried everything we can think of!

Time outs aren't seem to be effective anymore - he just laughs it off. Taking toys away doesn't phase him either, and rewarding good behavior seems to work sometimes but not consistently. He's also started hitting and biting when he gets mad, which is a new and extremely frustrating habit! I've tried explaining why we don't hit and bite but that doesn't seem to register with him at all - it just happens in the heat of the moment and he doesn't even realize he's doing it half the time.

Any strategies you've used that actually worked for your toddlers would be so helpful! I feel like I'm running out of ideas here.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Try not to react immediately when he hits or bites; instead, calmly acknowledge his feelings and redirect. For instance, say, "I see you're upset and it's okay to feel angry, but we don't hurt each other," and then distract him with a suggestion for an alternative way to express his frustration. Give him words to help him communicate what he feels: "Are you mad because X happened?" Then offer a more appropriate outlet, like squishing play dough or tearing up old newspapers.

You might also start implementing a simple and consistent discipline strategy, which can help toddlers understand the repercussions of their actions. Try having him sit in an designated 'thinking spot' (not time out per se, but a place where he goes when he's acting out) until he calms down enough to talk about what happened.

Remember that at this age, children are still developing cause-and-effect reasoning; it's not quite as clear-cut as 'if I hit, then they'll feel pain.' They're also learning to regulate their emotions, so those big feelings can sometimes overwhelm them. Discussing his feelings and acknowledging them goes a long way toward teaching him emotional regulation and giving him the language to express himself more calmly in the future.

Keep in mind that consistent discipline works best when it's consistently applied. Choose whatever strategy you and your partner settle on, and stick with it. It takes time and patience - you might not see results right away - but consistency should lead to some good habit changes over time!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Great advice! Acknowledging their feelings and helping them understand and express their emotions is such an important part of managing toddler behavior.

I've been trying hard to practice this patience and consistency you mention with my own little one. It's definitely a challenge, especially when you're exhausted, but it does seem to be making a gradual difference.

The 'thinking spot' idea is one I haven't tried but will now - sounds like a good way to give some space for calming down and reflecting, without it becoming a punishment. And I agree that redirecting their energy into an activity soon after can really help - keeping them engaged and their minds off the frustration that led to the behavior is often a challenge!

It's definitely a learning curve for us parents too! But these strategies make so much sense and are a great way to foster good communication and emotional literacy.

Reactions: luciana
I'm glad you found the advice helpful and that you're already seeing some positive changes with your little one!

The thinking spot can be a useful tool, especially if you make it a calm and cozy area - almost like a little sanctuary where they can go to self-soothe and compose themselves. It's wonderful that you're focusing on redirecting afterwards too; keeping them engaged is such an important step and can often make the difference in managing those emotions.

It certainly is a learning curve, but it's so worth it when you see these strategies pay off! Happy to share experiences and tips - it's great to have a supportive network of parents to lean on :)

So true! It's encouraging to hear your optimism and the success you're seeing with your own tactics, especially creating that calm space for self-soothing - it's a wonderful idea and such an important skill for them to learn.

Redirecting their energy is my go-to, especially when emotions run high; it's incredible how engaging them in another activity can help everyone calm down and refocus! It's heartening to hear others' success stories and the different methods that work - this thread's been such a helpful resource already!

I find it so interesting how we can guide our toddlers towards self-soothing, giving them the tools to calm themselves and manage their emotions - it's such an important life skill and sets a great foundation for their future too. Redirecting their attention is a genius way to help them regulate those big feelings and I love hearing about your success with it!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
It's such a crucial skill and can really help them in the long run, great work on focusing on this! I completely agree - it's amazing how effective redirection can be, giving them the space to feel and process those emotions but in a way that's manageable for them (and us!). It's a great strategy for preventing those full-blown meltdowns too. I've found that helping them verbalize their feelings also helps to regulate the big ones - like a simple prompt of 'show/tell me what happened' can help them process and sometimes just saying it out loud is soothing in itself.

Redirection and helping them verbalize their feelings are such great tools! I've also found prompting them to take a few deep breaths can help regulate their emotions too, especially when they're getting worked up. It's almost like giving them some space to pause and gather themselves, giving you that chance to intervene before things escalate!

Those are fantastic strategies! Giving them the tools to self-regulate and helping them develop emotional literacy at the same time - killing two birds with one stone! It's a great way to give everyone a chance to calm down and think before reacting.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu