• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Let's discuss managing toddler behavior! Share your experiences and insights here. What strategies have worked for you when dealing with tantrums, sibling rivalry, or mealtime meltdowns? Remember, every situation is unique so share those creative solutions that keep your sanity intact!

One thing that has helped us immensely with our two-year-old is actually a technique we learned through speech therapy, believe it or not!

When our son gets super upset about something - like we're leaving the park when he wants to keep playing, or we won't let him dump out all the Tupperware, etc. - instead of trying to physically pick him up and remove him from the situation (which often escalated the melt-down), we now get down on his level, gently hold his hands, look him in the eye, and start naming body parts.

"Oh! Look at your big eyes! They're so upset right now! And your forehead is all wrinkled up! Your feet are wiggling too!" Acknowledging the emotion and really seeing him seems to help him regulate his feelings and calm down enough that we can then move on to the next step of problem-solving or leaving the situation.

It also buys us a minute to quickly and calmly explain why we're doing something he doesn't want (e.g., we have to leave the park because it's getting dark). We've found that this technique really helps him regulate his emotions and makes transitions much smoother - which as parents, we have to do every day! Give it a try! It's such a simple yet powerful tool.

That's fantastic advice! Getting down to their level and validating their feelings is such an important skill for parents to learn. It's great that it's helped your son manage his emotions - and also given you all some peace!

I'll definitely be trying this with my little one - anything to avoid the full-blown tantrum that comes from being picked up when she's in the middle of her world-ending upset! And a speech therapy-approved trick is a great tip for those of us who are just doing our best and guessing most of the time. Thanks so much for sharing, and kudos to you!

That's fantastic advice! Getting down to their level and validating their feelings is such an important skill for parents to learn. It's great that it's helped your son manage his emotions - and also given you all some peace!

I'll definitely be trying this with my little one - anything to avoid the full-blown tantrum that comes from being picked up when she's in the middle of her world-ending upset! And a speech therapy-approved trick is a great tip for those of us who are just doing our best and guessing most of the time. Thanks so much for sharing, and kudos to you!
It's a tricky age where children have big feelings but don't yet have the emotional regulation skills or vocabulary to manage them! Glad to share these simple yet effective tactics that help us survive those daily melt downs! Sometimes, it's the simplest strategies that work the best! Toddlerhood can be a challenging phase, but also such a fascinating period of their development!

I'm glad to share our little hack which has made a huge difference in keeping our sanity intact through the tricky toddler stage! It's definitely a learn-as-you-go journey, isn't it? Here's to hoping more parents see this and can give it a go - anything to make life easier! 😊👍🏻

That's awesome! It really is a tricky stage, but these little hacks help us get through and keep our sanity! Would love to hear what your trick is - it might be helpful for other parents too!

Share your toys! My toddler became obsessed with hoarding her toys and hiding them, which resulted in huge meltdowns when I attempted to tidy up at the end of the day. Now, we keep a small toy basket in our living room and rotate the toys every few days - saves on tidying and keeps the play area novel and exciting!

That's such a clever strategy! I might have to implement this; rotating toys is an excellent way to keep them excited about their playthings without having to buy new ones constantly.

It's such a simple concept but works so well! I separate their toys by seasons and it helps to create that excitement when they haven't seen some of their old toys for a while. Plus, it saves me from constantly having to buy new ones!

That's such an ingenious idea! Out of sight, out of mind definitely applies to toddlers and their short attention spans. I'll try rotating their toys now that you mention it - thank you for the tip!

That's such an ingenious idea! Out of sight, out of mind definitely applies to toddlers and their short attention spans. I'll try rotating their toys now that you mention it - thank you for the tip!
It's really a life (and sanity) saver! Toddlerhood can certainly be challenging, so any parent hacks help all of us!

I hope it works as well for your little one as it did for mine. It's incredible how something so simple can make such a difference! Often, we parents just need some inspiration and these little hacks make parenting so much more enjoyable isn't it? Have a great day ahead! 😊

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Absolutely! Parenting can definitely use some creative problem-solving! It's encouraging to see simple solutions making a big impact. The little wins make our day too!

Absolutely! Parenting can definitely use some creative problem-solving! It's encouraging to see simple solutions making a big impact. The little wins make our day too!
You too! Have a fantastic afternoon and keep those Toddler Hack tips coming! They're such a fun, resourceful read 😁🌟.

Thank you, have a wonderful afternoon to you too! Can't wait to hear more of everyone's toddler hacks - they truly are an endless source of fun and inspiration! 😎🌟

Toddlers are like sponges, absorbing everything around them and reacting with wide-eyed wonder or hilarious confusion. It's a joy to watch their personalities develop and flourish - even in the midst of tricky tantrums!

My top tip is to embrace their enthusiasm and channel it in a manageable direction! Instead of saying 'no' all the time (which can feel relentless), try to offer a toddler-friendly alternative. For example, if they're keen to help with the baking but you need to get dinner ready, give them their own special task - like tearing up tissue paper to line your cake tin or rolling out pastry for pies while you prep the meal. It gives them an important job and that sense of inclusion keeps them engaged and (hopefully) away from mischief!

That's a great strategy! I love how it fosters independence and also encourages their sense of contribution, giving them a little boost in confidence with each task completed. It's a win-win!

It's so fascinating to observe how they get so absorbed in their little tasks when given the chance, and what you said is so true - their enthusiasm is so contagious!

I'm a big believer in encouraging independence too - it's amazing how much initiative young children are capable of when we step back and give them some freedom to explore and problem-solve! We're so used to doing things quickly and efficiently as adults, but taking a step back and letting our toddlers lead can teach us a lot about their curious minds.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and mamamia
Absolutely! It's a beautiful thing to witness when we give our little ones some space to explore, and realize what they're capable of! I think as parents, we can sometimes hinder their independence by being too hands-on, and it's wonderful to see them flourish when we give them that freedom within boundaries.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu