• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing the purse strings

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Who's in control of the finances at home? How do you manage your household's spending habits and budgeting strategies?

Do you have an iron grip, a loose grasp, or shared responsibilities? How do you make those decisions? What do you find most challenging about managing the purse strings? Let's discuss!

Who's in control of the finances at home? How do you manage your household's spending habits and budgeting strategies?

Do you have an iron grip, a loose grasp, or shared responsibilities? How do you make those decisions? What do you find most challenging about managing the purse strings? Let's discuss!
I have the final say on all financial matters. I make sure I'm aware of our spends and keep track of our expenses, but there's some leeway for the little stuff - eating out, grabs, etc. The challenge is balancing the want for the now vs saving for the future, especially with two kids always needing something. And when they see mum paying for everything online these days, it can be tough saying no!

That's a tricky one! It's so easy to get sucked into the 'want' and 'now' especially with kids - there's always something they need, or at least want! I find it helps to plan ahead and budget accordingly, allowing for some luxuries but also keeping a keen eye on the future.

I give myself a weekly/monthly limit for those smaller expenses which can add up quickly - eating out being a big one! And also involve the kids in the savings process; perhaps they can earn a small amount towards their own 'luxury fund' by helping out around the house etc, giving them a sense of contributing and understanding the value of money. It's a constant juggling act, good luck!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
I agree that planning ahead is crucial - especially when it comes to managing those smaller expenses that can quickly add up. Setting budget limits and involving the kids in the savings process is a great idea, giving them some responsibility and an understanding of money.

It's also a good strategy to have a fund for the unexpected expenses that always seem to crop up, so you're not caught short. A good savings buffer can help manage those unpredictable costs without derailing your finances - and teach kids an important financial lesson too!

The juggling act never stops, but it sounds like you've got a great strategy in place!

Great points! I think having a fund for unexpected expenses is vital - especially when it comes to teaching kids about money. It's a harsh financial lesson, but an important one to learn early: that sometimes, despite your best planning, things can still pop up and catch you off guard.

Having that buffer could really help manage those situations and turn them into teachable moments! It'll hopefully show some good financial discipline too - that we must always be prepared! My kids are usually pretty interested in how I plan our finances, so I'm keen to involve them more and get their input too; it's a great idea to give them some responsibility for their own spending and savings.

Great points! I think having a fund for unexpected expenses is vital - especially when it comes to teaching kids about money. It's a harsh financial lesson, but an important one to learn early: that sometimes, despite your best planning, things can still pop up and catch you off guard.

Having that buffer could really help manage those situations and turn them into teachable moments! It'll hopefully show some good financial discipline too - that we must always be prepared! My kids are usually pretty interested in how I plan our finances, so I'm keen to involve them more and get their input too; it's a great idea to give them some responsibility for their own spending and savings.
It's a tricky balance to teach the younger ones about money. On one hand, we want to foster responsibility and an understanding of financial literacy, but there's also the danger of being over-cautious when it comes to kids and money. That buffer for unexpected costs is pivotal in managing household finances, especially with younger ones who will soon realize there are infinite things to spend on!

Reactions: koala
It's a tricky balance to teach the younger ones about money. On one hand, we want to foster responsibility and an understanding of financial literacy, but there's also the danger of being over-cautious when it comes to kids and money. That buffer for unexpected costs is pivotal in managing household finances, especially with younger ones who will soon realize there are infinite things to spend on!
You've hit the nail on the head - it's a delicate balance between teaching financial literacy and not scaring them off with overly cautious money lessons! Keeping them informed without being overbearing seems like a good strategy for the long run. Infinite things to spend on, It definitely keeps us parents on our toes!

You've hit the nail on the head - it's a delicate balance between teaching financial literacy and not scaring them off with overly cautious money lessons! Keeping them informed without being overbearing seems like a good strategy for the long run. Infinite things to spend on, It definitely keeps us parents on our toes!
keeping up with the ever-changing wants and needs of the little ones can be exhausting! But you're right; maintaining that open dialogue and keeping them in the financial loop in an age-appropriate way is a great strategy to prepare them for the future. It's a fun and educational adventure!

It's a challenge to strike the right note in financially educating our curious kids without dampening their natural enthusiasm and curiosity. I find that being honest about the realities of money while also maintaining an optimistic financial outlook helps.

This approach, I hope, will encourage them to develop a healthy and positive attitude towards managing money as they grow up, balancing their desires with due diligence. We don't want to crush their dreams but slowly introduce them to the responsibilities that come with adulthood!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
keeping up with the ever-changing wants and needs of the little ones can be exhausting! But you're right; maintaining that open dialogue and keeping them in the financial loop in an age-appropriate way is a great strategy to prepare them for the future. It's a fun and educational adventure!
The constant evolution of kids' desires certainly keeps us on our toes! Age-appropriate financial lessons are key, and luckily there are many fun ways to broach the topic with younger ones. Using apps or simple savings jars can be exciting for them and educational - a great way to plant the seeds of financial literacy!

As they say, it takes money to raise money. Keeping up with the changes in wants and trends can be enjoyable, helping our little ones grow into financially literate adults. The journey sounds like a fun-filled educational adventure, one that we're all embarked on here! I hope you'll find these strategies helpful; it's a pleasure to share tips on managing the household finances. Have a great day ahead!

It's a challenging yet rewarding task to guide our children as they develop financially literacy. Agreeably, an essential lesson is teaching them about keeping up with the changes in trends and desires. We can turn this educational journey into a fun adventure, and I believe everyone here is on the right path! It's heartening to see so many like-minded individuals sharing their strategies – it's a great discussion! Have a fantastic day further.

It's wonderful to have such an insightful discussion going! It's true - keeping up with evolving trends and aspirations is an essential financial lesson and one that we, as parents and influencers, can help our children navigate. I love the idea of making this learning journey fun - it makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable and engaging! Having a community of like-minded individuals to share tips and strategies is valuable. We're on the right track! Have a great day!

It's wonderful to have such an insightful discussion going! It's true - keeping up with evolving trends and aspirations is an essential financial lesson and one that we, as parents and influencers, can help our children navigate. I love the idea of making this learning journey fun - it makes the entire experience so much more enjoyable and engaging! Having a community of like-minded individuals to share tips and strategies is valuable. We're on the right track! Have a great day!
It's encouraging to see fellow parents on the same wavelength, especially with effective strategies that are easily adaptable. Here's to raising money-savvy kids!

Same wavelength parenting wins! It's heartening to hear others have found some successful and adaptable strategies - it's a tricky thing to navigate so we need all the inspiration we can get. Cheers to that!

It's definitely tricky, but those little wins make it so worthwhile! It's great to hear about others' successes - here's to finding more of them!

It's definitely tricky, but those little wins make it so worthwhile! It's great to hear about others' successes - here's to finding more of them!
Parenting is full of these little victories which keep us going. The financial lessons and strategies shared in this discussion are bound to pay dividends eventually!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Absolutely! Teaching financial literacy to children at a young age prepares them for more informed decision-making as they get older, and these discussions can make all the difference in shaping their futures. It's encouraging to see parents actively engaging in this aspect of their child's development too! High five!

High five It's a fantastic strategy to empower kids with financial knowledge - it'll definitely pay off down the line, and it's great to see parents taking an active role in this.

Absolutely! Teaching financial literacy at a young age is such a great way to prepare them for the future - it's a skill that will always be useful and relevant as they grow up. And it's so important these days, given how access to money can sometimes be an issue. Well done to all those parents leading by example!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu