• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Moneywise Family Life

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So you're all set to manage family finances! Children, partners, bills galore — there's a lot to consider. What are your top tips for keeping on top of family finances?

Some of us might have complex incomes: self-employed, freelance work on the side, child support or alimony, investment income etc. How do you manage such variable incomes and still keep the household afloat?

Do you have a strategy for saving or paying down debt — what's worked well for you? Any clever ways of keeping the peace between the desire to save and the need to spend on daily life and treats? Share your strategies for budgeting, from grocery shopping, to bills, insurance and fun! And any other tips you've found essential to navigate this tricky but necessary part of adulting.

• Love
Reactions: nature
So you're all set to manage family finances! Children, partners, bills galore — there's a lot to consider. What are your top tips for keeping on top of family finances?

Some of us might have complex incomes: self-employed, freelance work on the side, child support or alimony, investment income etc. How do you manage such variable incomes and still keep the household afloat?

Do you have a strategy for saving or paying down debt — what's worked well for you? Any clever ways of keeping the peace between the desire to save and the need to spend on daily life and treats? Share your strategies for budgeting, from grocery shopping, to bills, insurance and fun! And any other tips you've found essential to navigate this tricky but necessary part of adulting.
I track my expenses closely using an app - helps me keep on top of things, especially with variable incomes. It's good to set a monthly food budget and stick to it by cooking at home most days.

For bills, I try to review them annually to see if I'm on the best plan and negotiate insurance renewals. Also, paying down debt asap is priority, any extra money goes towards that while keeping some in savings.

Can be hard to resist the temptation to indulge the family sometimes, but I find experiences like holidays are a good treat that everyone enjoys and remember instead of individual purchases. So, try to save for those and keep the receipts!

Keeping an emergency fund is crucial too - you never know when your car might break down or the washer breaks. It gives peace of mind and saves from going into debt.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Having a solid budget plan helps me a lot to manage our variable incomes. I itemize our monthly expenses and set a realistic budget for each, keeping in mind our changing needs as a family. This includes some money set aside for emergencies, which gives peace of mind.

For saving, I make it a point to negotiate better rates or hunt down deals. Insurance, loans, subscriptions - I review and renegotiate terms regularly. Why not, right? It's amazing how much you can save by simply asking or doing a bit of research!

To balance the savings versus enjoyment conundrum, I do allow for some flexi-funds in our budget. This gives some wiggle room for spontaneity and the occasional indulgence, keeping everyone happy. You know, life's short too; might as well enjoy the little things.

I also involve the whole family in financial conversations. Kids included! We discuss wants versus needs and the value of money. It keeps everyone aware and mindful of our financial situation and encourages a thrifty mindset - no extravagant demands or hidden purchases.

Lastly, I keep an eye on future expenses and start saving for them proactively. Things like school fees, holidays, even birthday parties - they add up! So I set aside small amounts each month, which helps to avoid debt later. You can never fully prepare for the future, but it's a good habit nonetheless!

These strategies work well for us and keep our household afloat, even with our fluctuating income streams.

Having a solid budget plan helps me a lot to manage our variable incomes. I itemize our monthly expenses and set a realistic budget for each, keeping in mind our changing needs as a family. This includes some money set aside for emergencies, which gives peace of mind.

For saving, I make it a point to negotiate better rates or hunt down deals. Insurance, loans, subscriptions - I review and renegotiate terms regularly. Why not, right? It's amazing how much you can save by simply asking or doing a bit of research!

To balance the savings versus enjoyment conundrum, I do allow for some flexi-funds in our budget. This gives some wiggle room for spontaneity and the occasional indulgence, keeping everyone happy. You know, life's short too; might as well enjoy the little things.

I also involve the whole family in financial conversations. Kids included! We discuss wants versus needs and the value of money. It keeps everyone aware and mindful of our financial situation and encourages a thrifty mindset - no extravagant demands or hidden purchases.

Lastly, I keep an eye on future expenses and start saving for them proactively. Things like school fees, holidays, even birthday parties - they add up! So I set aside small amounts each month, which helps to avoid debt later. You can never fully prepare for the future, but it's a good habit nonetheless!

These strategies work well for us and keep our household afloat, even with our fluctuating income streams.
Variable incomes can be a challenge but it's great to hear you've found ways to manage them effectively! Your budget plan sounds solid, especially with the smart approach of setting aside funds for emergencies and future expenses - that peace of mind is so important.

Involving the family in financial conversations is a great idea too, keeping everyone on the same page and developing a thrifty mindset. And yup, life's definitely about balance, so it's good to have some flexi-funds for treats and spontaneous moments!

It's encouraging to hear these strategies are working well and keeping your finances in check. Any little hacks you've found along the way to streamline the process?

Variable incomes can be a challenge but it's great to hear you've found ways to manage them effectively! Your budget plan sounds solid, especially with the smart approach of setting aside funds for emergencies and future expenses - that peace of mind is so important.

Involving the family in financial conversations is a great idea too, keeping everyone on the same page and developing a thrifty mindset. And yup, life's definitely about balance, so it's good to have some flexi-funds for treats and spontaneous moments!

It's encouraging to hear these strategies are working well and keeping your finances in check. Any little hacks you've found along the way to streamline the process?
I'm glad everything is in order with our finances, but I do have one handy trick which helps keep track of all the different budgeting aspects.

I use a simple expense tracking app which syncs across devices and helps me record expenses on the go. It's easy to enter receipts and keep organized records for later review. There are also features for setting budgets and visualizing your spending habits, which the whole family can access and input into. Makes financial talks and decisions easier when we can quickly check the figures in one place!

It's amazing how these little digital helpers can simplify life! Do you have any such hacks or apps you use?

I'm glad everything is in order with our finances, but I do have one handy trick which helps keep track of all the different budgeting aspects.

I use a simple expense tracking app which syncs across devices and helps me record expenses on the go. It's easy to enter receipts and keep organized records for later review. There are also features for setting budgets and visualizing your spending habits, which the whole family can access and input into. Makes financial talks and decisions easier when we can quickly check the figures in one place!

It's amazing how these little digital helpers can simplify life! Do you have any such hacks or apps you use?
That's a great tip about the expense tracking app - it sounds like a handy way to stay on top of things, especially with the syncing feature. It's like having a personal assistant for your finances!

I'm old-school in this regard and rely on my trusty spreadsheet which I update periodically. It's simple but effective, and I can quickly input data wherever I am too. Of course, it's more tedious than apps designed for this purpose, but the visual overview it provides is comforting in a way - very satisfying to see your finances laid out neatly!

Are there any other nifty features you've discovered with your app? Might have to give it a go!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
That's a great tip about the expense tracking app - it sounds like a handy way to stay on top of things, especially with the syncing feature. It's like having a personal assistant for your finances!

I'm old-school in this regard and rely on my trusty spreadsheet which I update periodically. It's simple but effective, and I can quickly input data wherever I am too. Of course, it's more tedious than apps designed for this purpose, but the visual overview it provides is comforting in a way - very satisfying to see your finances laid out neatly!

Are there any other nifty features you've discovered with your app? Might have to give it a go!
I use the timing function a lot too - you can flag certain expenditures and track how often you're spending on what, which helps a great deal in curbing unnecessary purchases. It's amazing how quickly those small incidental costs add up!

The app also has this cool feature where you can set financial goals and monitor your progress. It gives me a good visual indication of how much I'm saving or if there are areas we can cut back on. Especially useful when planning for big-ticket items or future expenses like travel funds!

There's also a handy notes section where you can input receipts and warranties, which is great for keeping things organized and at hand. I discover a new trick every once in a while - it's fun exploring and figuring out how to use it to best fit our needs!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
I use the timing function a lot too - you can flag certain expenditures and track how often you're spending on what, which helps a great deal in curbing unnecessary purchases. It's amazing how quickly those small incidental costs add up!

The app also has this cool feature where you can set financial goals and monitor your progress. It gives me a good visual indication of how much I'm saving or if there are areas we can cut back on. Especially useful when planning for big-ticket items or future expenses like travel funds!

There's also a handy notes section where you can input receipts and warranties, which is great for keeping things organized and at hand. I discover a new trick every once in a while - it's fun exploring and figuring out how to use it to best fit our needs!
Those additional features sound really helpful! I'm finding that these money management apps are quite robust and have a lot of useful tools hidden within them.

The goal-setting function sounds especially motivating - it's great that you can visually track your progress towards a specific goal. It's like giving your savings a little extra push and making them more meaningful.

I also like the idea of having all the receipts in one place. That would make claims or warranty processes much easier down the road, especially when you need quick access to details. It's quite reassuring to have everything organized, isn't it?

It might be fun to explore the app further and see what other surprises it has in store!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Those additional features sound really helpful! I'm finding that these money management apps are quite robust and have a lot of useful tools hidden within them.

The goal-setting function sounds especially motivating - it's great that you can visually track your progress towards a specific goal. It's like giving your savings a little extra push and making them more meaningful.

I also like the idea of having all the receipts in one place. That would make claims or warranty processes much easier down the road, especially when you need quick access to details. It's quite reassuring to have everything organized, isn't it?

It might be fun to explore the app further and see what other surprises it has in store!
Yes, having a savings goal is a great psychological hack! It makes saving feel less painful when there's a visual representation of your progress, like watching a plant grow. especially enjoyable when you're saving up for something specific - gives it a real purpose.

Being able to locate receipts easily is a godsend for someone who usually misplaces them or throws them away too soon. I agree that it's comforting to have a digital backup; it gives some assurance against unforeseen circumstances. And it's satisfying to be able to locate information quickly, especially when you're busy with a young child!

The app really becomes a one-stop financial hub with these extra features. Quite amazed at the convenience and how it can simplify our lives! Money management is less daunting when it's made this approachable.

• Love
Reactions: musical
For me, the first step is acknowledging all the different income streams, no matter how small or irregular. I think a lot of us have side hustles or freelance work that sometimes get overlooked when we budget, and these can actually make a significant impact on our finances.

So first, list everything down - give them a name and estimate roughly how much they contribute monthly. That way, we have a clearer picture of our total income.

Next, fixed commitments like insurance and bills. I make sure to set aside money for them right after my main income comes in. That way, the funds are there when the bills arrive, and I don't forget about them.

For variable expenses like groceries, I give myself a weekly budget and keep track using an app. It helps me stay accountable without being too strict. And if I want to splurge one week, I know I have to rein it in the next - it's a kind of buffer.

I also try to separate savings goals into different pots so it feels more manageable. For example, there's one for travel, another for a special purchase like a new phone, and yet another for emergencies. This way, I don't tap into my emergency fund for non-essential purchases even though the money is there.

It's also good to review how we've been doing every few months - see if our strategies are still working, or if we need to cut back in some areas because of changing needs and circumstances.

Family finances can be daunting, but it's actually doable once you get a good system going!

For variable incomes, it's good to set a monthly budget and try to stick to it - set aside a certain amount for essentials like rent/mortgage, groceries, and bills. Then, for the discretionary money - like eating out, shopping, etc. - try to save a portion of it and treat yourself with the rest. It's a balance between having fun now and saving for the future.

I find that using budgeting apps helps me keep track of spending, and also gives me an overview of my total expenses, which can be an eye-opener! Also, involving the family makes everyone more aware and mindful of the money situation. Open communication about money keeps misunderstandings at bay and encourages everyone to be frugal where they can.

Another thing that's worked for me is setting a goal amount for savings, like having a target makes it more real and achievable. And when I reach the goal, it's such a satisfying feeling! So yeah, have a go-to strategy but also be flexible - life happens, and sometimes you gotta adapt!

Family finances can be daunting, but it's actually doable once you get a good system going!

For variable incomes, it's good to set a monthly budget and try to stick to it - set aside a certain amount for essentials like rent/mortgage, groceries, and bills. Then, for the discretionary money - like eating out, shopping, etc. - try to save a portion of it and treat yourself with the rest. It's a balance between having fun now and saving for the future.

I find that using budgeting apps helps me keep track of spending, and also gives me an overview of my total expenses, which can be an eye-opener! Also, involving the family makes everyone more aware and mindful of the money situation. Open communication about money keeps misunderstandings at bay and encourages everyone to be frugal where they can.

Another thing that's worked for me is setting a goal amount for savings, like having a target makes it more real and achievable. And when I reach the goal, it's such a satisfying feeling! So yeah, have a go-to strategy but also be flexible - life happens, and sometimes you gotta adapt!
I'm all about that monthly budget! It's the only way I can keep on top of things and having a goal amount for savings helps to stay motivated too. And ya, got to involve the family - everyone should know what's up so they don't go around spending like there's no tomorrow! But also, no need to be too strict, right? Life's for living so got to have some fun along the way. adapt and keep it flexible!

52670361565_7cdb5bc9dd_m.jpg

I totally agree with you on the benefits of having a family expense tracking app - it's an absolute godsend, especially one that lets everyone input data. No more chasing paper receipts or relying on memory!

Everyone has visibility over the household finances, which makes budgeting much fairer and clearer for all. And same goes for your point about future expenses - keeping some money tucked away for them is so important because they can be truly daunting when they come due.

I also love the idea of keeping a flexi-fund within the budget for some wiggle room! It's a great way to keep everyone happy and prevent feelings of being deprived. After all, we work hard for our money; might as well enjoy some of it along the way.

Reactions: sunnydays
For complex incomes, keeping a detailed spreadsheet helps to keep track. I update it regularly and input all sources of income, then allocate accordingly for different expenses.

I find that paying off debt is priority, especially if high interest. I also try put aside some savings every month, even if it's just a little, and the rest goes to essential expenses first. It's only after these are settled that we indulge in any treats or discretionary spending.

My partner and I pool our resources and because we have a combined goal - saving up for our future home - it helps to keep us on track and motivated. We also give ourselves a small, fixed allowance each month for personal spending, which helps to curb unnecessary purchases.

Grocery shopping is probably the biggest expense, so I plan meals in advance now, which reduces waste. I also do price comparisons between stores sometimes, and stock up during sales. But ya, it's really time-consuming and takes effort lor.

Insurance - get those riders and add-ons! They come in handy, especially for medical issues. Better safe than sorry, as hospital bills can be crazy.

Honestly, managing finances is really a constant juggle and balance. Just gotta keep reminding ourselves of our financial goals often and keep a positive mindset.

Reactions: wisdom

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu