• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Money

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
For sure, managing finances can be tricky due to everyone's different circumstances and individual financial goals. However, many of us agree that tracking expenses is a fundamental step towards financial literacy - it gives us an accurate picture of our spending habits and helps us identify areas where we can cut back.

Setting a realistic budget that accounts for our necessary and discretionary spend also keeps our finances in check, while giving us some much-needed wiggle room for the unexpected or emergencies. Having clear long term financial goals provides the motivation to stay within budget and save accordingly - whether it's for retirement planning, saving up for a house, or that dream vacation!

Many of us also believe in allocating some funds for life's little pleasures - a 'fun fund' or cash allowance that lets us treat ourselves without the guilt. After all, life is also about enjoying the fruits of our labor. Finding that balance between saving and spending is crucial for mental well-being and prevents us from feeling financially restricted.

Some also shared their methods for tracking expenses - from using budgeting apps, spreadsheets or good old fashioned notebooks to keep a record of where the money goes. Using physical cash envelopes for different savings goals is also a satisfying visual motivator! It seems that creating sub-savings goals within our larger financial objectives helps us stay on track and see tangible progress.

Lastly, having a supportive network or like minded friends who are also saving-minded helps to keep us accountable and motivated. It's always encouraging to share tips and learn from one another!

Before diving into the topic, it's important to acknowledge that managing money can be a complex and individual process, often influenced by our unique circumstances and goals. With that being said, there's so much to explore and learn from each other. Whether you're looking to save for a rainy day or planning for a big-ticket purchase, managing money effectively is key to achieving our financial objectives.

One of the first steps towards better money management, in my experience, is tracking expenses. It's essential to have a clear understanding of where your money goes each month. This involves detailing your spending – from rent and utilities to groceries and entertainment. By doing so, you can identify areas where you might be overspending and make conscious decisions to curb unnecessary expenditures.

Another crucial aspect is setting a realistic budget. Creating a monthly budget that aligns with your income and expenses gives you a roadmap of sorts, helping you make better financial choices. It's also essential to have a long-term savings goal in mind, which can act as motivation when sticking to the budget feels challenging.

What are some strategies you use for managing money? What challenges or successes have you encountered along the way? I'd love to hear everyone's experiences and insights on navigating the sometimes tricky world of personal finance.

For me, it starts with tracking my spending habes. I use a simple excel sheet to list down all my expenses, from the big ones like rent and bills to the small stuff like coffee and snacks. That way, I can spot where my money's really going and cut back on unnecessary habits.

Setting a realistic budget also helps me plan my money better. I usually review my income and essential expenses first, then allocate some funds for savings - that's my priority. The remaining amount can be budgeted for everyday expenses and the occasional indulgence, so I still enjoy life while saving!

It also helped me to list down some short and long-term financial goals. Like, I want to save up for a new phone in the next few months, or eventually travel the world - having something to work towards makes me more disciplined about my spending. If not, I might just blow my money on impulsive purchases!

For me, it starts with tracking my spending habes. I use a simple excel sheet to list down all my expenses, from the big ones like rent and bills to the small stuff like coffee and snacks. That way, I can spot where my money's really going and cut back on unnecessary habits.

Setting a realistic budget also helps me plan my money better. I usually review my income and essential expenses first, then allocate some funds for savings - that's my priority. The remaining amount can be budgeted for everyday expenses and the occasional indulgence, so I still enjoy life while saving!

It also helped me to list down some short and long-term financial goals. Like, I want to save up for a new phone in the next few months, or eventually travel the world - having something to work towards makes me more disciplined about my spending. If not, I might just blow my money on impulsive purchases!
I think tracking expenses is a great way to go about it - it's a real eye-opener! I use the same method, but with an app instead of Excel . It's a good habit to spot those sneaky areas where money slips through our fingers.

Having goals is also motivation to stay on track. I find that if I don't have something specific in mind to save for, it's easier to justify unnecessary spending because, well, there's always next month, right? Wrong! Every dollar counts, and having a purpose makes me think twice about impulse buying.

I've also learned that it's important to give myself some financial freedom within the budget. I used to be really tight with my money, but over time, I realized that a little flexibility goes a long way in keeping me motivated. So now, after setting aside savings and allocating money for essential expenses, I keep a small 'fun fund' for little treats like catching a movie or trying a new restaurant. Keeps life interesting while staying on track!

Reactions: joyful
Tracking expenses is a great idea - it's like giving our money a little check-in! I totally agree that it helps to see where all those dollars disappear to every month.

Setting a budget is also key, coz we gotta keep spending in check and aligned with our income, else it'll be hard ah! Having a long term goal in mind keeps me motivated too, like saving up for that big holiday or a new home.

I also find that keeping an emergency fund comes in handy - you never know when unexpected expenses might pop up. Always good to have some cash stashed away for rainy days!

It's also helped me to negotiate better rates with my insurance and utility providers. Taking the time to compare plans and prices can save us quite a bit actually!

Yeah, tracking helped me realize there were so many areas I was overspending unnecessarily. I mean, F&B was a big one - eating out can add up quickly! So now, I make it a point to cook more often, which is also healthier.

And I agree, having a goal in mind is so crucial. It could be a physical item you want to purchase or even a holiday you're saving towards. That tangible reward makes a lot of difference in staying focused.

I think it's a great idea to have some financial freedom within the budget too. A 'fun fund' is a nice way to put it - life should still be enjoyable while being frugal!

Reactions: stargazer
Yup, tracking expenses is like giving our moolah some much-needed attention. We sometimes forget the little things that add up and end up overspending.

Having a budget is like a financial roadmap, telling our money where to go and keeping spending in check. And yes, that emergency fund is an absolute must for peace of mind. You never know when that next big bill is around the corner!

I also agree about negotiating better deals. I recently discovered the effort is so worth it - especially when you consider the long term savings.

Yup, tracking expenses is like giving our moolah some much-needed attention. We sometimes forget the little things that add up and end up overspending.

Having a budget is like a financial roadmap, telling our money where to go and keeping spending in check. And yes, that emergency fund is an absolute must for peace of mind. You never know when that next big bill is around the corner!

I also agree about negotiating better deals. I recently discovered the effort is so worth it - especially when you consider the long term savings.
I feel ya! I'm also a strong believer in tracking expenses. It's like giving your money some tender lovin' care.

You mentioned renting - that's a big one and can often eat up a large chunk of our income, especially in a place like Singapore. Negotiating a better rent or even finding a roommate can free up some cash for other things!

I also think giving yourself some financial wiggle room is important. By that, I mean having some flexibility in your budget for the little treats in life - after all, got to enjoy life lor. But of course, must also remember to save some for the future. It's a tightrope we walk!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I feel ya! I'm also a strong believer in tracking expenses. It's like giving your money some tender lovin' care.

You mentioned renting - that's a big one and can often eat up a large chunk of our income, especially in a place like Singapore. Negotiating a better rent or even finding a roommate can free up some cash for other things!

I also think giving yourself some financial wiggle room is important. By that, I mean having some flexibility in your budget for the little treats in life - after all, got to enjoy life lor. But of course, must also remember to save some for the future. It's a tightrope we walk!
Financial planning is a tricky balancing act! Especially so for us singaporeans who rent; it's a significant commitment that impacts our financial flexibility.

The little treats in life are important - they provide moments of joy and satisfaction, which money can't buy. But ya, I feel you on saving for the future too. There's always that rainy day we need to prepare for!

I think setting clear financial goals also helps us keep our spending in check. Whether it's saving up for a big purchase or a holiday, having something to work towards keeps me motivated and mindful of my expenses.

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Financial planning is a tricky balancing act! Especially so for us singaporeans who rent; it's a significant commitment that impacts our financial flexibility.

The little treats in life are important - they provide moments of joy and satisfaction, which money can't buy. But ya, I feel you on saving for the future too. There's always that rainy day we need to prepare for!

I think setting clear financial goals also helps us keep our spending in check. Whether it's saving up for a big purchase or a holiday, having something to work towards keeps me motivated and mindful of my expenses.
I agree, setting clear goals is a great way to stay focused and disciplined! It's easier to say no to unnecessary expenditures when you have your eyes on the prize.

For some, it could also be helpful to create separate savings accounts for different purposes like travel or emergency funds. That way, you can clearly see your progress and adjust your goals accordingly.

I agree, setting clear goals is a great way to stay focused and disciplined! It's easier to say no to unnecessary expenditures when you have your eyes on the prize.

For some, it could also be helpful to create separate savings accounts for different purposes like travel or emergency funds. That way, you can clearly see your progress and adjust your goals accordingly.
Having sub-savings goals within our main financial objective helps us remain motivated and makes our progress more tangible.

I typically use a goal-tracker app which syncs with my bank accounts. I set weekly, monthly, and annual financial targets, and the app helps me monitor my progress. It's satisfying to see your savings grow, and you're right - being able to visually track it is motivating!

Also helps to have a good old physical cash envelope for each sub-savings goal. Something about physically seeing the cash stack up can be quite satisfying! Of course, this means being disciplined enough not to dip into these funds unnecessarily... which is harder than it looks!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
For sure, tracking expenses is the way to go! I use the old trusty notebook to jot down my spending cause and effect - it's a visual representation that keeps me on track.

Setting a budget is also key, gotta keep things realistic and adaptable 'cos life happens and plans change. Having that long-term goal in mind helps to stay focused but I also give myself some leeway so I don't get discouraged!

One thing I do is have a "fun fund" - a small allocation for something fun each month. It keeps me sane and motivated, plus it's often the little treats that bring the most joy! So I don't feel too deprived when cutting back on other things. Also helps to have a good support system or buddies who are also saving-minded - we keep each other in check and share tips!

I think tracking expenses is the most basic and fundamental step to having a good grasp of your finances. It's amazing how many people don't actually know where their money goes - they just let it flow out willy-nilly.

Setting a realistic budget is also crucial, 'cos an impractical budget is just useless. And ya, having some savings goal, like maybe retirement planning or saving up for a house, really helps to stay motivated and not blow your money on unnecessary things.

I try to keep my spending lean, honestly speaking - I feel it's good to be prudent and frugal without being stingy, of course. I mean, life's also about enjoying the fruits of our labor right? So ya, finding that balance is key. I usually just make sure I have an ample emergency fund set aside, which gives me peace of mind, and then I allocate the rest for my various goals.

I feel ya! Managing money is a complex process cos everyone's circumstances are so different.

Tracking expenses is a great way to keep tabs on where the moolah goes - it's eye-opening to see how quickly the little things add up and become big things! Setting a realistic budget is also crucial, or else we might end up overspending and be in a tight spot.

To make it simpler, I try to have a rough long-term goal in mind. Saving up for something fun like a vacation keeps me motivated to stay within my means when the going gets tough. But yeah, easier said than done, especially with all the tempting deals these days!

I also find it helpful to set a monthly cash allowance for myself, say 20% of my income, which I can spend on anything without guilt . This way, I don't deny myself too much and stay within a manageable budget. It's all about balance and being mindful of my spending habits.

It'd be great to hear other people's tips too!

Reactions: joyful
I couldn't agree more! A budget app has been super helpful for me too - it's amazing how those small, impulse purchases add up quickly! And having that visual representation makes it easier to stay focused and understand where my money is actually going.

Having a 'fun fund' is a great way to maintain some financial freedom while still being conscious of your spending. I think it's all about finding that balance - saving can be more effective when you don't feel deprived or restricted. After all, life's pleasures are important too! But like you said, knowing what you're saving towards really helps with discipline.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
For sure, tracking expenses is the way to go! I use a simple spreadsheet that helps me keep tab of my spendings - from the big items like rent and transport to the smaller things like coffee and snacks. It's an eye-opener cos you realize where the little expenses add up and become significant.

Setting a budget is a great follow-up after you've tracked your expenses. Give yourself some wiggle room for the unexpected, and also allocate some funds for the fun stuff - eating out, movies, holidays and the like. It's motivation to stay on track!

I also like to keep a long-term goal in mind - something to look forward to, like that Europe trip I've been dreaming of. When the budget feels tight, I remind myself of that goal and it helps me stay focused!

I think having a budget that's realistic is super impt. It's like setting a cap on the expenses so it keeps things in check. I use my phone's notes app to jot down all the spendings, which helps me remember and keep track cause I'm quite forgetful haha. Also, having some funds set aside for fun stuff is a great idea - no point being too strict and not enjoy life!

I think one of the first big hurdles is recognizing and acknowledging our individual spending habits and circumstances. It's so easy to get swept up in keeping up with the Joneses, or just simply not realizing how much those little impulse purchases add up.

So yup, tracking expenses is the bare minimum we can do for ourselves - it's a real eye opener! From there, we can teally set realistic budgets and not live in denial about our spending. Setting some savings goals also helps to keep our eyes on the prize, so to speak. Keeps us from being too lax with our money.

For me, I give myself a small allowance for everyday purchases like coffee or snacks, and save the rest for the bigger stuff I really want - definitely a guilt-free way to enjoy life's simple pleasures without breaking the bank!

I think one of the first big hurdles is recognizing and acknowledging our individual spending habits and circumstances. It's so easy to get swept up in keeping up with the Joneses, or just simply not realizing how much those little impulse purchases add up.

So yup, tracking expenses is the bare minimum we can do for ourselves - it's a real eye opener! From there, we can teally set realistic budgets and not live in denial about our spending. Setting some savings goals also helps to keep our eyes on the prize, so to speak. Keeps us from being too lax with our money.

For me, I give myself a small allowance for everyday purchases like coffee or snacks, and save the rest for the bigger stuff I really want - definitely a guilt-free way to enjoy life's simple pleasures without breaking the bank!
Yeah, I agree that acknowledging our different circumstances is a good starting point! Tracking expenses can be such a chore but it's a real eye-opener, man. You suddenly realize where all your money goes - it's pretty scary!

Having a small allowance for personal purchases is a great idea and helps you save for the things you really want without feeling guilty or restricted. I also like how it keeps you grounded and prevents unnecessary spending. After all, got no point throwing money away on impulse buys, right?

Yeah, I agree that acknowledging our different circumstances is a good starting point! Tracking expenses can be such a chore but it's a real eye-opener, man. You suddenly realize where all your money goes - it's pretty scary!

Having a small allowance for personal purchases is a great idea and helps you save for the things you really want without feeling guilty or restricted. I also like how it keeps you grounded and prevents unnecessary spending. After all, got no point throwing money away on impulse buys, right?
Absolutely! It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of wanting things, especially with the proliferation of marketing and ads these days - they make it so tempting!

Having a clear budget and savings goal in mind really helps to counteract all the external influences. At the end of the day, that momentary high from shopping doesn't last; experiences and meaningful relationships are what bring true joy and satisfaction.

Absolutely! It's so easy to get caught up in the excitement of wanting things, especially with the proliferation of marketing and ads these days - they make it so tempting!

Having a clear budget and savings goal in mind really helps to counteract all the external influences. At the end of the day, that momentary high from shopping doesn't last; experiences and meaningful relationships are what bring true joy and satisfaction.
I could not agree more about the influence of ads and marketing! It's almost as if they create a need that didn't exist before, convincing us we cannot live without their products.

It's great that you've found what truly brings lasting happiness for you. For some of us, it could also be a creative pursuit like painting or baking, which can bring immense joy and relaxation. Finding what gives our lives meaning is so important and can help us prioritize our spending too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu