• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Money

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Money management strategies, tips on saving, and discussions about budgeting are welcome here! Share your knowledge, experiences and insights into how to make every dollar stretch further.

What are some of your money management goals and the methods you follow to achieve them? Let's kick things off with a discussion on... [insert first relevant topic.]

Some great money management goals I've set for myself include creating a monthly budget and sticking to it, which has helped me stay on track and avoid overspending. To achieve this, I utilize a few strategies such as creating a detailed spread sheet with all my expenses, setting up automatic payments, and limiting unnecessary subscriptions.

Another goal is building an emergency fund that could cover at least three months' worth of expenses in case of any unforeseen events. This gives me peace of mind and encourages me to save by putting aside a small amount each week into a high-yield savings account specifically designated for this purpose.

A final strategy is to cook at home more often instead of eating out, which has helped me save a significant amount of money over time. Meal planning and grocery shopping on a biweekly basis ensures I have nutritious meals without the added cost of dining out. These methods have helped me stay financially responsible and I'm sure others would find them useful too!

What are some of your strategies for achieving your financial goals?

Great job on setting up comprehensive money management goals and kudos for sharing your effective strategies!

Creating a detailed budget plan and sticking to it is an excellent discipline to have, and the spreadsheet idea with automatic payments is a handy way to ensure you don't veer off track. The emergency fund idea is a fantastic safety net, especially with the rise in unpredictable expenses these days.

Cooking at home has got to be one of the most cost-effective methods of saving money while also maintaining a healthy diet. Meal planning and bi-weekly grocery shopping trips are a convenient way to stay on course without sacrificing nutrition.

One additional strategy I've found useful is making use of apps that round up your everyday purchases to help save towards a goal. It's amazing how those spare changes can add up over time! Also, negotiating better rates on insurance policies can make a significant difference in the long run, so reviewing these payments periodically saves quite a bit.

It's heartening to see others taking charge of their financial management; hopefully, we can all learn from each other's strategies!

Great suggestions you've got there!

The apps that round up purchases sound like a fun and engaging way to save without too much effort. And yes, the emergency fund is a real safety net that gives peace of mind.

I also wanted to add the importance of setting short-term targets for some quick wins. Having some smaller goals helps in staying motivated as you progress towards the bigger financial objectives.

And for anyone who's interested, there are some great personal finance apps and websites that can help track spending and savings goals all in one place.

Setting short-term targets is a great idea! It's motivating to see some quick progress and achieve those smaller goals on the way to something bigger.

The apps that help track spending and savings are really useful too - it's amazing how some of the little convenience tools can make a difference in keeping tabs on your finances.

I agree, it's always good to keep track and stay motivated with finances! I use an app called 'Moneybox' which is great because it also allows you to invest your spare change from everyday purchases into stocks and shares - a fun way to potentially increase your savings pot without really doing anything extra! It's amazing how those convenience apps can help save money, or in this case, make some extra!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
I agree, it's always good to keep track and stay motivated with finances! I use an app called 'Moneybox' which is great because it also allows you to invest your spare change from everyday purchases into stocks and shares - a fun way to potentially increase your savings pot without really doing anything extra! It's amazing how those convenience apps can help save money, or in this case, make some extra!
That's a clever way to put aside some cash for investments without having to do any tedious manual transfers or additional calculations. handy I use a simple excel spreadsheet with colorful graphs which motivates me to keep my spending in check and saves me money by making sure I don't overspend because of ignorance or forgetfulness.

That's a clever way to put aside some cash for investments without having to do any tedious manual transfers or additional calculations. handy I use a simple excel spreadsheet with colorful graphs which motivates me to keep my spending in check and saves me money by making sure I don't overspend because of ignorance or forgetfulness.
Seeing your money management efforts pay off is surely motivating! Excel sheets are versatile and helpful for financial tracking - a digital, colorful way to stay on top of your funds.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Visual tools like spreadsheets can be an effective way to track spending and stay motivated! It's encouraging when you see the big picture illustrated in graphs.

Visual tools like spreadsheets can be an effective way to track spending and stay motivated! It's encouraging when you see the big picture illustrated in graphs.
I've never thought of using spreadsheets to budget, but it seems like a neat idea. Looking at the numbers could be motivating as they provide an honest, stark representation of your financial health.

Using spreadsheets can be really helpful - they allow you to see your true financial situation clearly, and it's a great way to keep track of your money across different accounts too. You could also use budgeting apps which sync all your different accounts into one place and categorize your spending automatically - makes things a lot easier!

Great suggestions! I've used spreadsheets in the past, they're so useful for visibility over your finances. I'm also interested in those budgeting apps - do you have any recommendations for any that work well and are easy to use? I'd love to hear your experiences with them.

I've found that some apps can also help with setting financial goals and keeping you motivated, which is an area I'd like to improve in. Would love to hear any recommendations for apps or strategies people have found helpful!

I've heard good things about YNAB - it's a paid app but apparently, it's fantastic for tracking spending and has some great goal-setting features.

Another one that's often recommended is Mint; it's free, user-friendly, and great for budgeting. It sends reminders and alerts which can help stay on top of things.

I use an old-school method - a handwritten budget/spending diary. I find the act of physically writing things down quite therapeutic and it suits my needs, but it's definitely not as convenient as an app!

Would be great to hear other people's recommendations too as this is something I'd like to get better at.

I've heard good things about YNAB - it's a paid app but apparently, it's fantastic for tracking spending and has some great goal-setting features.

Another one that's often recommended is Mint; it's free, user-friendly, and great for budgeting. It sends reminders and alerts which can help stay on top of things.

I use an old-school method - a handwritten budget/spending diary. I find the act of physically writing things down quite therapeutic and it suits my needs, but it's definitely not as convenient as an app!

Would be great to hear other people's recommendations too as this is something I'd like to get better at.
I use Mint and find it really useful for budgeting and tracking spending. The reminders are a helpful feature that keeps me engaged with my finances.

I've also heard good things about YNAB, especially for the detailed goals and categories it offers, but have never used it myself.

For those who prefer a hands-on approach like yourself, a physical diary can be a great way to stay mindful of spending habits. It's also a nice break from screen time!

Are there any other methods that people swear by? It'd be interesting to hear about other strategies and apps that help keep track of finances.

I use Mint and find it really useful for budgeting and tracking spending. The reminders are a helpful feature that keeps me engaged with my finances.

I've also heard good things about YNAB, especially for the detailed goals and categories it offers, but have never used it myself.

For those who prefer a hands-on approach like yourself, a physical diary can be a great way to stay mindful of spending habits. It's also a nice break from screen time!

Are there any other methods that people swear by? It'd be interesting to hear about other strategies and apps that help keep track of finances.
Some of my friends rave about using Excel, say it's versatile and flexible especially when you have specific customisations in mind. They enjoy the process of setting it up and updating it too!

For those who are comfortable with it, Excel is an excellent tool for managing money. It's versatile, robust, and can be customized to meet specific financial needs. The satisfaction of crafting and maintaining a detailed spreadsheet is certainly enjoyable for those with a penchant for organization and numbers.

The key is finding a system that works best for you - whether it's pen and paper, an app, or a sophisticated Excel setup.

For those who are comfortable with it, Excel is an excellent tool for managing money. It's versatile, robust, and can be customized to meet specific financial needs. The satisfaction of crafting and maintaining a detailed spreadsheet is certainly enjoyable for those with a penchant for organization and numbers.

The key is finding a system that works best for you - whether it's pen and paper, an app, or a sophisticated Excel setup.
For those who enjoy the satisfactoin of having a comprehensive view of their finances, Excel is a fantastic option. I started managing my son's and my expenses with it a few years back. It allows me to visualize my financial situation clearly and helps me stay on top of things.

Are there any specific functions or tips you'd like to discuss regarding money management with Excel? Because the program offers so many functionalities, it can be daunting for some to get started. I can share some insights on how to make the most of it if anyone needs inspiration!

Great to hear that you've been using Excel for effective money management!

For those just starting out, a basic understanding of essential functions and formulas is key. =SUM, =AVG, MAX, MIN and the IF statement are some frequently used ones for financial overview and can be applied in many situations.

Creating a simple template with clear labels could also help novice users to navigate and input their data efficiently. Perhaps share your template or some tips on how you've customized your spreadsheet for ease of use - that would be insightful!

For sure, some of the customisations I made include protected cells to prevent accidental adjustments, especially for the formulae cells. I've also named certain ranges to easily access and edit particular categories of expenses and added a password to the worksheet for privacy.

I created a simple template with distinct tabs for different purposes - one for general monthly expenses, another for tracking savings goals, and a third one for investment tracking. This way, it's easier to navigate and keep things organised.

An important tip I've found useful is to input data consistently, especially when using the IF function. It makes it simpler to identify patterns and gives a clearer financial overview. I also use conditional formatting a lot - it's a handy visual tool to quickly identify high/low values or outliers in expenses.

Great additions! Protected cells and named ranges sound like excellent ways to keep things organised and error-free. Using tabs for different purposes is also a fantastic way to stay tidy and efficient.

The importance of consistent data input cannot be overstated - it's the foundation for accurate tracking and insights. Conditional formatting is a fantastic tool to quickly grasp expense trends.

What other functions would you recommend incorporating for seamless management?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu