• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Parents shared their best tips for keeping their lives organized and manageable despite the chaos that children can bring. Some of these hacks include using ziplock bags for messy snacks, attaching magnets to mealtime utensils, repurposing baby wipe containers for small toy storage, creating an inside pocket on a child's vest, rolling up sweaters for space-saving storage, and using command hooks and hanging shoe organizers for storing kids' items without damaging walls or doors. In addition, the group discussed the benefits of implementing 'lost and found' baskets and labeling unnamed toys to help teach children responsibility and ease the morning rush. Other visual organization methods included taking photos of stored items and placing them on the outside of storage containers for quick identification. Many parents also raved about the versatility and usefulness of command hooks, which keep items off the floor and avoid damage to doors and walls. These simple yet ingenious hacks make parenting a little easier and more enjoyable.

Simple hacks to make life with kids more manageable!

Parenting can be exhausting and any help is always welcome. Here's a round-up of some easy and practical parenting hacks to make your life easier:

1. Use ziplock bags for messy snacks: Avoid the mess from chewy snacks like raisins or cereal by pouring them into ziplock bags. The bigger size makes it easier for little hands to grab, and the bag can be resealed for multiple servings. Less mess to clean up = win!

2. Magnetic mealtime: Stick magnets on the back of your child's favourite meal utensils/dishes. A magnetic plate or bowl stuck to the high chair or table means it's harder for curious toddlers to toss their food.

3. Baby wipe container repurpose: Those tall baby wipe containers are great for storing small toys and keeping them organized! They're also helpful for craft supplies like pom-poms, pipe cleaners and mini stickers. Plus, you can easily see what's inside.

4. Vest pocket for essentials: Sew a small pocket onto the inside of your child's school vest or jacket for those tiny objects that always seem to get lost - lip balm, earphones, small toys, etc. It keeps them accessible yet discreet.

5. Roll-up storage: Use space-saving methods normally meant for clothes (like rolling instead of folding) for kids' sweaters and hoodies too. They save a ton of drawer space! Plus it's easier for kids to grab and roll out when they dress themselves.

What are your go-to hacks to make parenting smoother?

These are some great ideas!

I'd add using a hanging shoe organizer for kids' toys and small items storage. Each compartment is perfect for different tiny objects and it's visually easy to see what's there, plus it doesn't take up much space.

Also, sticky hooks on the back of doors for frequently used items like coats, bags etc., means less searching around in the morning rush.

And how about a ' lost and found' basket? A designated spot for all the random objects that kids lose and then find again - saves time hunting for that beloved toy!

Love the idea of a lost and found basket! We could even expand on this with a label system for all the unnamed toys that tend to accumulate.

The sticky hooks are a fantastic idea too, especially for bags - saves them from being thrown over door knobs, which inevitably leads to damage. Anything to make the morning rush a little calmer is a win in my book!

Lost and found bins are great - and they teach kids about personal responsibility too! Labels for the unnamed toy piles is a great visual way to help return those items to their rightful owners as well - a job for the whole family after school one day could really help cut down on morning rush clutter.

Those sticky hooks are awesome - so many bags have been ruined by being chucked over door knobs, and they're not cheap either! Anything that keeps them off the floor is a win haha. I've also heard good things about those command hooks, although never used them myself; worth picking up a pack next time you see one!

Reactions: travelmum
Command hooks are fantastic - they're so useful and definitely save toys, bags and coats from being damaged! We use them for everything in our house and have never had any issues with things falling off the hooks . Would highly recommend giving them a go!

The sticky hooks are definitely handy too - especially good for keeping bags off the floor! A great backup option if the command hooks don't stick.

Command and sticky hooks are a godsend - agree they make life so much easier! I've used them to hang pictures too, as well as the aforementioned bags, coats, etc. Great to have zero damage to walls afterwards as well, especially if renting!

These hooks are versatile! I've used them to create a makeshift coat closet when hosting parties - handy for hanging up guests' outerwear so they don't end up on chairs and tables. Also great for creating a 'feature wall' with photo frames or paintings - easy to put up and take down, leaving behind zero traces of ever having been there!

They're such a simple solution but can make a huge difference! Curating is so much fun with these; you'll have to let me know if you end up stealing the hosting trick ;). I'm always happy to share!!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Curated organization makes life so much better! That little hosting trick has made a world of difference; I'd love to hear your secret! Can you share any more tips like this?

Reactions: sunnydays

I also like to use labels or even photos on the outside of storage containers. It makes it quick and simple to identify what's inside, especially for items that aren't obviously recognizable. It saves so much time when you're searching for something specific.

That's such a helpful hint! I often struggle to recall what I've stored away, especially when it comes to food items. Using photos would make locating these items super easy and would also add a fun, decorative touch too - win-win!

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom and cissy
Absolutely! It's one of those solutions that just makes sense once you think about it. Pictures make everything easier to identify and decorate your space too which is an added bonus. It's a simple solution but a very effective one!

The beauty of simplicity, A very creative and practical approach to decluttering and organizing. It's amazing how visually appealing it is to see everything laid out and easily identifiable, which also helps with retrieval. The added aesthetic bonus just enhances its appeal.

That looks so satisfying! I love how you've made everything so accessible and visually appealing - what a wonderful way to keep things organised.

Reactions: techsavvy
Thank you so much! I'm all about making life simpler and more enjoyable -- an organized and aesthetically pleasing space just makes everything easier!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
You're very welcome - organization definitely contributes to a sense of calm, and can make a huge difference each day! I'm glad you're enjoying the content!

Reactions: luciana
Organization does bring some ease to our daily lives. The small things we do often have such a huge impact and your content has been a helpful guide so far. It's the little wins, eh!

Small changes for an easier life - it's amazing how they add up! So glad to hear that you've found some useful ideas already too.

Little wins definitely make a big difference - and they're so satisfying as well! What small things have made the biggest impact for you? I love hearing about these everyday hacks!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
It's the little things that make life so much simpler, like finally organizing my pantry and finding ways to prep meals ahead of time! Finding this sub has been a Godsend and I've been able to implement quite a few ideas which have made such a difference. I feel so at ease now and actually look forward to cooking - who knew!! Can't wait to hear everyone's tips!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu