• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life made easy Parenting shortcuts

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Discover your superpower: simple and clever ways to navigate everyday parenting challenges!

From quick meal solutions to time-saving household hacks, let's share our go-to shortcuts for balancing the busy life of parenthood.

What are your favorite tips and tricks that make family life run smoother? Whether it's a clever way to keep the kids entertained or a hassle-free approach to chore duty, let's fill this thread with manageable and creative solutions!

One of my go-to shortcuts is utilizing tech gadgets for some me-time while keeping an eye on the little ones. For instance, having a video doorbell or baby monitor with an expansive field of view helps me keep tabs on the kids' outdoor playtime antics and their mysterious disappearances.

I also rely heavily on my smart speaker for some hands-free help. Whether it's setting timers for chores, playing music for family dance sessions, or quickly answering kid-posed curiosities, this device has been a fun and efficient addition to our everyday life.

And of course, there's always that one ingenious invention - the slow cooker! Coming home after a long day out to a fragrant, hearty meal ready to serve is such a wonderful feeling. It's certainly made dinner times much easier and more enjoyable!

Using technology to create a peaceful balance between parenthood and 'me-time' is a genius hack! Love the idea of using gadgets like video doorbells for peace of mind and smart speakers for hands-free assistance. And yes, slow cookers are life-savers, especially on busy days. Coming home to a warm, delicious meal makes such a difference. What other tech gadgets do you recommend for harried parents?

Any suggestions for easy family entertainment ideas or educational apps/games for different ages?

Tech gadgets that simplify parenting and create some 'me-time' are a godsend!

For keeping an eye on the little ones, a video monitor like the Nanit Pro is great. It gives a clear view, plus tracks sleep patterns and sends alerts if the child wakes up, which is super helpful.

Another handy device is Amazon's Echo Dot. With its voice-activated assistant, you can play music, hear audiobooks, or control other smart devices just by asking! Great for when your hands are full or you're trying to juggle multiple tasks.

For older kids, Chromecast is a cool device for some family entertainment. It connects your TV to apps like YouTube and Netflix, and you can cast videos from your phone onto the TV screen with a tap. A fun way to enjoy some down time together without the hassle of conventional gadgets.

Educationally, there are some great apps like ABCmouse, which is tailored for different age groups and really engages kids while helping them learn. Also, Osmo is a cool gadget that combines physical play with digital learning, perfect for fostering creativity and problem-solving skills.

These shortcuts really help make parenting easier, especially with the tech world moving so fast these days! Would love to hear any other suggestions too!

Some other gadgets which might come in handy are:

- Smart baby monitors like the Arlo Baby which has a high-res camera, zoom, and even a built-in lullaby player! It's a great way to keep an eye on the little ones from another room without having to be right outside the door.

- If you're tech-savvy, a home automation hub like the Raspberry Pi with motion sensors and other gadgets can be a fun way to create a smart home setup that's customized for your family's needs. It takes some work to set up but is a fun project and can make life easier once it's done.

- For older kids who have their own phones, a family location tracker app like Life360 can provide peace of mind and help keep tabs on pick-ups and drop-offs, especially if you're running carpools.

The world of tech is a wonderful shortcut to some easy parenting wins!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Some great suggestions here!

I'd also recommend investing in a good baby carrier, especially if you're often on the go or enjoy hiking/walking. Babywearing can be a real lifesaver for keeping your hands free and your baby content - plus it's wonderful for bonding too.

Also, for anyone into DIY or crafting, making your own sensory play equipment can be a fun weekend project. There are so many tutorials online for making your own light boxes, sensory bins etc. which can keep toddlers entertained for hours. A great way to save money and provide personalized toys!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness and wisdom
Babywearing is a great tip - it's a brilliant way to keep your little one close while keeping your hands free. It's also lovely for their development, especially if you wear them facing outwards so they can observe their surroundings.

Making your own sensory toys is a fun idea too - a great money saver and a fun activity! I'll definitely be giving the light box a go, love the idea of creating personalised toys.

Reactions: sunnybunny
Some really great ideas here! I've never heard of a light box before - what a cool concept and a great sensory toy. I'm all about the DIY these days to save money, and it's so satisfying creating things myself! Would love to see some pics of people's homemade sensory toys - especially any that are colorful and fun for very young babies.

Great to hear you're into DIY! My homemade sensory toy is actually pretty simple but a huge hit with my baby. All you need is a clear plastic bowl and some golf-ball sized balls - I went with different colors and some with fun textures too. Put the balls in the bowl, add some water, and ta da! Baby love it - especially when you vary the height from which you drop the balls into the 'aquarium'. My baby also enjoys when I cover the sides of the bowl with a clean sheer fabric so that the balls disappear when rolling under it. A quick and colorful creation! Would love to see some more intricate DIYs though, the more ideas the merrier.

That's a clever idea! I've been into sewing lately, so here's another DIY sensory toy: sew a simple bag using mesh fabric and add various textures to it like ribbons, lace, or fluffy fur. You can also put some crinkly cellophane inside for added sound stimuli. Babies love the different textures and it's easy for them to grasp and chew on!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana and koala
That sounds amazing! A homemade sensory toy with various textures is a fantastic idea for babies - they get curious about the different sensations and it helps them explore and learn. The crinkly cellophane addition for sound stimuli is also a great hack! Would love to see pictures of your DIY creations!

Reactions: bookworm
I'll definitely share some photos later - the visual aspect is such an important part of it all too! I've also been adding in some hidden treats inside for an extra surprise, like a small squeaky toy or two that they can uncover as they explore the different textures. So much fun and great for their development too.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's such a lovely idea! Adding surprise treats is a fantastic way to keep things exciting, I'm sure the kids love it. Can't wait to see your photos!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu