• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life Made Easier

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several parents shared their tips on making parenting easier in a discussion thread. The suggestions included keeping the kids entertained by turning toy-fighting into games, using cheap treats as incentives, and putting on kid-friendly music for some fun exercise. Getting children involved in meal planning and cooking was also recommended, which makes dinnertime smoother and encourages family bonding. To simplify mealtimes further, some parents advocate for keeping a pantry stocked with easy-prep meals. Meanwhile, others suggested teaching kids about food by letting them choose and prepare ingredients to develop their creativity and imagination. Some unique food combinations might emerge from this, like mixing rice with ice cream or dipping fries into milkshakes! Lastly, having a well-stocked bag of cheap entertainment toys and games can help parents catch a much-needed breather while keeping kids occupied.

Life can be overwhelming, especially when you're managing a household and raising little humans. So let's share our parenting hacks to make life a little easier!

What clever tips or tricks do you have up your sleeve? They can be related to anything - meal times, keeping the kids entertained, getting them to actually listen, simplifying chores, or even just ways to give yourself some me-time!

Let's fill this thread with actionable and practical parenting hacks that will help make our lives as parents a little more manageable. What's your first one?

Life can be overwhelming, especially when you're managing a household and raising little humans. So let's share our parenting hacks to make life a little easier!

What clever tips or tricks do you have up your sleeve? They can be related to anything - meal times, keeping the kids entertained, getting them to actually listen, simplifying chores, or even just ways to give yourself some me-time!

Let's fill this thread with actionable and practical parenting hacks that will help make our lives as parents a little more manageable. What's your first one?
When the kids are fighting over toys, my first go-to parenting hack is to divert their attention by making it into a game or competition! Works like a charm every time. Could be something simple like having them race to pick up toys or see who can make the best animal balloon sculpture. Keeps them occupied and saves me from the toddler tantrums.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
When the kids are fighting over toys, my first go-to parenting hack is to divert their attention by making it into a game or competition! Works like a charm every time. Could be something simple like having them race to pick up toys or see who can make the best animal balloon sculpture. Keeps them occupied and saves me from the toddler tantrums.
I usually keep a stocked stash of cheap, dollar-store treats hidden in the pantry. When the little ones are driving me up the wall, I pull out a treat and suddenly everyone's in a good mood! It's great for when you need a moment of peace to finish up some chores or just to have a quiet cuppa.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia
I usually keep a stocked stash of cheap, dollar-store treats hidden in the pantry. When the little ones are driving me up the wall, I pull out a treat and suddenly everyone's in a good mood! It's great for when you need a moment of peace to finish up some chores or just to have a quiet cuppa.
Dollar store treats! Genius! But I try not to rely on treats as bribes cos it can backfire when you're treat-less and the kids are going crazy. My fallback is putting on some kid-friendly tunes and dancing along. Gets their jitters out plus it's a great mini workout for all of us!

Dollar store treats! Genius! But I try not to rely on treats as bribes cos it can backfire when you're treat-less and the kids are going crazy. My fallback is putting on some kid-friendly tunes and dancing along. Gets their jitters out plus it's a great mini workout for all of us!
I tell my kids that I have super-human senses when it comes to hearing. Works like a charm cos they know I'll catch them even if I'm not in the room! Also helps me keep an ear out for any questionable behavior haha.

Reactions: lioness
Being a parent is already a full-time job, so anything to simplify is a blessing! Mealtime can be tricky, but one thing that works is getting the kids involved in planning meals and cooking. Give them options to decide what vegetables or fruit to pick, or which protein to go with. Gets them excited about eating too, especially if they helped prepare the food! And teaching them some basic cooking skills early is a huge help when you're running short on time but they've got hungry tummies!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and chickadee
Being a parent is already a full-time job, so anything to simplify is a blessing! Mealtime can be tricky, but one thing that works is getting the kids involved in planning meals and cooking. Give them options to decide what vegetables or fruit to pick, or which protein to go with. Gets them excited about eating too, especially if they helped prepare the food! And teaching them some basic cooking skills early is a huge help when you're running short on time but they've got hungry tummies!
Having the kids help out in the kitchen is a great idea! It's win-win because while you're teaching them an essential life skill, they also get invested in the food they're eating. Getting them to choose the ingredients and prepare meals makes dinner time so much smoother, and it becomes a fun activity for them too.

Having the kids help out in the kitchen is a great idea! It's win-win because while you're teaching them an essential life skill, they also get invested in the food they're eating. Getting them to choose the ingredients and prepare meals makes dinner time so much smoother, and it becomes a fun activity for them too.
Absolutely! It's amazing how getting kids involved in choosing and preparing food can make mealtime so much more enjoyable for everyone. Plus, it's an opportunity to bond with them and create some lovely memories! And who knows - we might just be fostering the next Gordon Ramsey!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Absolutely! It's amazing how getting kids involved in choosing and preparing food can make mealtime so much more enjoyable for everyone. Plus, it's an opportunity to bond with them and create some lovely memories! And who knows - we might just be fostering the next Gordon Ramsey!
Yes, little ones can be pretty creative and innovative too! We might just be inspired by their unique taste buds and creations.

Yes, little ones can be pretty creative and innovative too! We might just be inspired by their unique taste buds and creations.
That's true! Kids often have such a fun and interesting perception of food and mealtimes. Their imaginative palates can create some funny yet delicious combinations!

Reactions: greenfingers
That's true! Kids often have such a fun and interesting perception of food and mealtimes. Their imaginative palates can create some funny yet delicious combinations!
Mm, like how they'd mix rice and ice cream, or dip fries into their milkshake! We as adults might find the thought weird, but to them, it's a yummy treat!

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Mm, like how they'd mix rice and ice cream, or dip fries into their milkshake! We as adults might find the thought weird, but to them, it's a yummy treat!
Hah! I find that dipping fries into a milkshake is not so bad actually, quite a delicious combo of sweet and salty! As long as the kids enjoy their meals, that's all that matters!

Hah! I find that dipping fries into a milkshake is not so bad actually, quite a delicious combo of sweet and salty! As long as the kids enjoy their meals, that's all that matters!
Yah hor, it's a win when the little ones enjoy their food. Me too, sometimes like to mix weird stuff together - like putting kaya on my peanut butter sandwiches! Kids and adults alike just wanna enjoy the deliciousness, that's the main point!

Parenting's tough work man! My first hack's to keep a well-stocked pantry of easy-prep meals/snacks. Think canned foods, instant noodles, precooked meals etc. Those are my saviours when I'm too tired to cook but the kids are hungry.

Also, got to have a bag of tricks to keep the kids entertained. Colorful markers and papers, some cheapo toys from dollar shops, maybe a few board games. Keep 'em occupied while I catch a breather or prepare meals!

Reactions: chickadee
Yah hor, it's a win when the little ones enjoy their food. Me too, sometimes like to mix weird stuff together - like putting kaya on my peanut butter sandwiches! Kids and adults alike just wanna enjoy the deliciousness, that's the main point!
That sounds tasty! I've never tried kaya with peanut butter, bet it's fantastic!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
That sounds tasty! I've never tried kaya with peanut butter, bet it's fantastic!
You definitely should; it's a unique mix of sweet and salty flavors. It might sound strange but works so well together. A good tip is to also try adding some sliced bananas or even a drizzle of chocolate sauce sometimes for extra yumminess!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
You definitely should; it's a unique mix of sweet and salty flavors. It might sound strange but works so well together. A good tip is to also try adding some sliced bananas or even a drizzle of chocolate sauce sometimes for extra yumminess!
Mmmm sounds like a delicious and nutritious breakfast option or even as a filling snack! I'm gonna grab some ingredients later. Any recommendations for a good kaya brand?

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Mmmm sounds like a delicious and nutritious breakfast option or even as a filling snack! I'm gonna grab some ingredients later. Any recommendations for a good kaya brand?
Some popular local brands carry good kaya, like Prima Taste or Yammy. But if you want to get fancy, there are artisan brands like The Coconut Factory that have interesting flavor variations like coconut or pineapple kaya that are really tasty!

I've found that keeping a stocked 'toy rotation' is great to keep the little ones entertained! Basically, I have this big box filled with cheap, simple toys like colored building blocks, old containers for pretend play, and some random arts and crafts supplies. When the kids start getting antsy or bickering too much, I just grab something from the box and hand it to them. It's like magic - they're entertained for hours and it gives me some time to prep meals or just relax! And when they get bored of those toys, I just switch 'em out with new ones from the stash. They don't seem to mind playing with the same toy twice because it's usually after a couple of weeks, by which time it's like a new surprise!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Having a couple of go-to meals that are easy to prepare and require minimal ingredients is a lifesaver! I usually fall back on ramen with some boiled eggs and veg thrown in, or rice with spam and furikake. Quick, simple and the kids love it - means I can spend less time slaving over a hot stove and more time keeping the chaos under control!

Having a couple of go-to meals that are easy to prepare and require minimal ingredients is a lifesaver! I usually fall back on ramen with some boiled eggs and veg thrown in, or rice with spam and furikake. Quick, simple and the kids love it - means I can spend less time slaving over a hot stove and more time keeping the chaos under control!
Having some lazy meal options is a top idea! Those quick meals can be real lifesavers on busy days. I usually keep a stock of frozen fish fingers too - they're a staple and go down well when you gotta feed the kids in a jiffy!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu