• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-changing Parenting Tips

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents, we're always looking for little hacks to make life easier and more joyful! Share your tried-and-tested parenting tips that have made a huge difference in your life. Whether it's getting the toddlers to eat veggies without a fight or keeping the teens' rooms semi-organize, we want to hear about it!

What are your ultimate game-changing ideas & strategies? Let's create a comprehensive guide to parenting hacks!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
One trick I've found that really helps with getting the little ones to eat their veggies is involving them in the food preparation process. My kids are much more likely to eat the vegetables when they have helped plant, grow, and harvest them from our garden. There's a sense of pride and ownership that comes with it!

We also began implementing a "one-bite" rule at our family meals. Each kid has to take at least one bite of everything on their plate. This seems to encourage them to explore new foods and vegetables because they realize it's not so scary after all - and it might even be tasty!

Another thing that has helped with our picky eaters is letting the kids cook or prepare the meal with us. They are more inclined to eat something they've had a hand in making themselves. Sometimes, we even make it into a competition to see who can make the best vegetable dish, and the creativity really shines through!

These strategies have made mealtimes much less stressful, and I hope they might help some other parents out there too!

GettyImages-1363802429-f0c7b63ec68e4f42afab2281c72aadf8.jpg

Great insights! I especially love the one-bite rule - it's a brilliant way to encourage adventure in eating, and might just be the first step towards expanding their food horizons.

And I completely agree that involving kids in food prep and giving them ownership of the process encourages them to explore new foods. It's a wonderful way to spend quality time together as a family too.

These are fabulous strategies - fun, creative, and educational! Thanks for sharing!

It's great to hear you found the tips insightful - and I agree, involving kids in food prep is a fantastic way to spend quality time together. Happy to share, and hope mealtime at your place is fun and messily delicious!

Mealtime has become a fun family affair. The kids love helping out now - from picking our weekly menu to actual prep time, they're engaged and entertained. Thanks again for sharing these gems!

It's heartwarming to hear how mealtimes have become enjoyable and engaging with the kids joining in the fun. Getting them involved in menu planning and preparation is a wonderful way to ignite their excitement for all things culinary - a win for mom and dad too!

What other gems have kept your home life running smoothly? Would love to hear more - parenting is a village!

Getting the kids involved in the entire cooking process - from planning, shopping for ingredients, preparing, and setting the table - not only makes them excited for meal times but also teaches them important life skills!

My two cents: designate a specific 'kid-friendly' area in the kitchen with tools they can use themselves like step stools to reach counters, their own set of cooking utensils, and apron strings that tie at the waist . This made our mealtimes much more enjoyable when they were proud to have prepared a part of the meal themselves. Also makes them more willing to try the foods they've cooked or helped prep!

It's a wonderful feeling when you see them beam with pride over their creation and even better when they ask for seconds!

That's such a great idea to foster independence and also get the little ones interested in food and cooking! Love the idea of giving them their own special tools and an area to make them feel involved and important - it's so true that they tend to enjoy mealtimes more when they've helped prepare the food. And you're right about the added bonus of them being more open to trying new foods too!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Involving kids in preparing meals is a fantastic way to develop their sense of independence and also make mealtimes enjoyable and meaningful family time. Giving them their own kit, tools, and a dedicated space fosters a sense of ownership and importance, which boosts their confidence. It's remarkable how it encourages them to explore new foods too - their curiosity and excitement are such a wonderful bonus!

That is so true! My kids love helping out in the kitchen, especially with their own tools and aprons on. It makes them feel so professional and boosts their confidence immensely. Also, it's a great way to expose them to various cuisines and textures - my son is much more open to trying new foods when he's been involved in preparing them.

It's also a lovely memory for them and a great bonding experience - chatting away while cooking together is always fun! And of course, the sense of achievement on their little faces when they see the end result is adorable!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
It's incredible how engaging kids in the kitchen can have so many wonderful benefits! It's a wonderful way to expose them to different senses and textures and also build on their life skills. I love the idea of them having their own little tools and aprons - it makes it so much more fun and exciting for them. Cooking together is such a lovely bonding experience and a great way to create beautiful memories. The sense of pride and achievement at creating something from scratch is an amazing confidence booster too!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
You're so right! Kids learn so many important skills in the kitchen, and it's a great opportunity to spend quality time with them too. I love the idea of creating those sensory and bonding experiences, especially since kids can be naturally reluctant to engage with unfamiliar textures or ingredients.

It's a great space to teach them about food origins too - where our food comes from, and even some basic gardening skills if you grow your own herbs or veggies! And of course, the clean-up is a fantastic life skill as well ;)

What are some of your go-to recipes that you enjoy cooking with your little ones?

Some kid-friendly recipes we love include making our own pizza from scratch - they get to work the dough, add their favourite toppings and it's a fun, messy process they really engage with. We also do a lot of baking - cookies, cakes and cupcakes are always a hit, especially when we make them for a special occasion or as a surprise for Dad!

I try to incorporate plenty of vegetables too, so we often make smoothie bowls with hidden spinach or kale leaves, which they seem to enjoy making and customizing with different toppings. It's also fun to make rice paper rolls - the assembly line is engaging and the kids love making their own rolls with different fillings.

What about you? Any tried and true kid-friendly recipes you turn to regularly?

We love making our own burgers from scratch - mixing all the ingredients, shaping the patties and coming up with fun toppings is a hit with my little ones! Also an easy way to sneak some grated zucchini or carrot into the mix too!

We also do 'breakfast for dinner' nights which is always a novelty - the kids love making their own pancakes or eggs any style, plus all the fun of flipping them! And of course who doesn't love pizza, your way is so much better than takeaway!

Those are some fun food ideas!

We also enjoy cooking together as a family. It's a great way to engage the kids and keep them occupied, and they feel so proud when they've made something themselves from start to finish .

Some other ideas we do are making our own sushi , falafel wraps with all sorts of toppings, and designing our own stir fries.

The options are endless really, but it's a great way to make dinner time exciting!

Those are some yummy family cooking ideas! It's wonderful how getting kids into cooking encourages creativity and independence, not to mention the satisfaction of tucking into their own creations.

We love making our own pizzas from scratch, with different shapes, and loads of healthy toppings to choose from. Also on the menu is 'build your own burritos' which is always a win, and a fun twist on the usual taco night!

It's amazing how getting kids involved in food prep can make dinnertime so much more enjoyable , plus it's a great skill for them to learn.

Reactions: mamamia
Some more life-changing parenting tips around food and cooking:

Get your children to help with menu planning, especially if they're fussy eaters. Mine would plan a weekly meal and pick out recipes from cookbooks. It taught them to think about others' preferences too, and it helped them understand the effort that goes into planning balanced meals. Also, give them dedicated roles in the kitchen - even something small like being the official taste tester or salad preparer gives kids a sense of importance and ownership!

Another thing that worked for us was making mornings easier by preparing the night before. My kids were always slowpokes who dawdled over breakfast and often missed the school bus! So we'd prepare backpacks, lay out clothes and even set the table for breakfast the night prior. That extra 10 minutes in bed made a huge difference and started our days off on a much calmer note. Those few precious minutes saved meant we could sit down together and have a proper breakfast too.

And I'll shout this one from the rooftops - OUTSOURCING IS OK! Yes, to grandparents, relatives or friends offering help! It takes a village, so if someone wants to treat your kids to pizza because they enjoy it, let them! You're not failing; you're smartly delegating and ensuring you don't burn out.

Those are my two cents on parenting hacks - anyone else have any good ones?

Reactions: sunnydays

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu