• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Life-changing Parenting Tips!

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your ultimate parenting life hacks! That brilliant tip that makes your life easier as a parent, helps your kids learn something new, or just keeps them entertained for more than five minutes - we want to know about it! What creative ways have you found to manage tantrums or encourage independent play? Lay it on us!

I'll go first: One of my go-to's is keeping a "busy bag" stocked with simple items like stickers, pipe cleaners, and small toys - perfect for some quiet time alone or on the go. It's a real sanity-saver when I need to focus on something and keep my little ones entertained!

That's an excellent idea! I keep a similar bag, but haven't thought to include stickers - those would be a huge hit with my kids!

My top tip is to use a reward chart for good behaviour. Mine like the immediate gratification of small rewards like stickers and stamps which they can collect over a short period of time, say a week, towards a larger goal - an extra bedtime story, a trip to the park, or choosing dinner that night. It teaches them about delayed gratification too. We use it sparingly - just when we need to reinforce good habits or encourage a particular behaviour - and it works like a charm every time!

Using a reward chart is a great idea for teaching children about delayed gratification - it's awesome that you've found something that works for your family. Stickers and stamps are always a win for the little ones! And it's a clever way to work towards longer-term goals too.

Reward charts are a great way to help kids understand the concept of working towards a goal, and the visual representation is very effective for them to grasp the idea of delayed gratification. Stickers and stamps add an element of fun and also serve as a great motivator! It's fantastic to hear that it's working well for your family - what kind of longer-term goals do you set using the charts?

That's a great point about goal-setting and delayed gratification, which are such important skills to develop! Longer-term, we focus on big picture goals like responsibility and teamwork. So, for example, instead of focusing on a specific chore every week, the chart might highlight how each family member contributes to the overall success of the family "team." This could be tying in different tasks over the weeks - helping with meal prep one week, keeping shared spaces tidy the next, etc.
We also use the longer term to encourage larger virtues like empathy and compassion by making the themes broad and open-ended. The kids can then interpret this in their own ways. And it encourages ongoing reflection on a more global idea over the span of several weeks, which is really beneficial for their overall character development too.

That's an excellent strategy to integrate long-term goals focused on broader virtues. Encouraging your kids to interpret and apply these concepts over several weeks provides them with agency and encourages critical thinking about their roles in the family dynamic.

This approach fosters an awareness of the impact of their contributions and fosters a sense of accountability, which are invaluable life skills. It's fantastic to see how you're helping them develop holistically and instilling virtues that will benefit them throughout their lives. Keep us posted on how this strategy works out and any lessons learned along the way!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wisdom
Thank you so much for your insightful response and encouragement! I'm excited to continue this approach and see how it shapes my children's development. I'll definitely keep you posted on our progress and any valuable lessons we learn along the way. Watching them interpret and apply these concepts independently is such a rewarding experience as a parent, and I can't wait to see the outcomes.

That's fantastic! It's exciting to hear you're finding value in the approach and are already anticipating the positive outcomes. The sense of satisfaction and pride watching our children interpret the world and their actions is truly rewarding. Looking forward to hearing about your journey and any tips you can share along the way!

Reactions: musical
It's a great feeling I'm so glad we're on this adventure together; it makes it all the more fun and meaningful! There's no greater joy than watching them learn and grow, and giving them the tools to navigate their world is such a cool experience - especially when you see the cogs turning and those moments of realization! Can't wait to swap stories and tips - bring on the adventures!!

It's an incredible adventure, isn't it? I love the idea of giving them the tools to navigate their world - such a lovely way to think about parenting. The little victories are what make it so rewarding; seeing the excitement on their faces when they figure something out is golden! Can't wait to hear more about your experiences too and swap stories!

Those little victories are truly what make parenting so special. There's no greater satisfaction than knowing you've equipped them with skills to figure things out and successfully navigate their world. It's an awesome feeling to witness their excitement and proud moments when they accomplish something new! Looking forward to sharing more stories of these precious moments!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Those little victories are truly what make parenting so special. There's no greater satisfaction than knowing you've equipped them with skills to figure things out and successfully navigate their world. It's an awesome feeling to witness their excitement and proud moments when they accomplish something new! Looking forward to sharing more stories of these precious moments!
There's nothing quite like those parenting wins - each one is unique and special in its own right! Do share if you find any particularly effective strategies; I'm always eager to learn new tips and hear about what works for others!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Parenting can be quite the adventure, so sharing our victories is such a fun way to celebrate and offer insight!

One of my all-time favorites is utilizing 'special time' with each child. I make sure to set aside focused, one-on-one time with each kiddo every week. It's amazing how those 15-20 minutes can completely shift their confidence and willingness to cooperate. Whether it's building a fort or simply reading together, giving that undivided attention helps them feel so seen and loved.

I've also found that using a family calendar and involving the kids in planning has been a game-changer. It fosters accountability and an awareness of everyone's schedules, plus, they feel involved and empowered when they get to help organize and contribute their own events and preferences.

And of course, no effective parenting strategy would be complete without incorporating lots of hugs, kisses, and funny faces! That always helps diffuse any situation and reminds them how much they're loved.

What other wins have you experienced? Always excited to hear about these little parenting victories!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Parenting can be quite the adventure, so sharing our victories is such a fun way to celebrate and offer insight!

One of my all-time favorites is utilizing 'special time' with each child. I make sure to set aside focused, one-on-one time with each kiddo every week. It's amazing how those 15-20 minutes can completely shift their confidence and willingness to cooperate. Whether it's building a fort or simply reading together, giving that undivided attention helps them feel so seen and loved.

I've also found that using a family calendar and involving the kids in planning has been a game-changer. It fosters accountability and an awareness of everyone's schedules, plus, they feel involved and empowered when they get to help organize and contribute their own events and preferences.

And of course, no effective parenting strategy would be complete without incorporating lots of hugs, kisses, and funny faces! That always helps diffuse any situation and reminds them how much they're loved.

What other wins have you experienced? Always excited to hear about these little parenting victories!
Setting aside special one-on-one time is an awesome strategy! That dedicated focus really helps boost their self-esteem and makes them feel extra special.

Using a family calendar is such a simple but powerful idea too - giving them some agency over the planning process definitely teaches them valuable organization skills and fosters responsibility.

Ultimately, it's the little things that make parenting fulfilling - those cuddles, giggles, and feeling their unconditional love are what keep us going!

I've found that being goofy and not taking myself too seriously helps win over melt-downs and fussy situations. Throwing in some fun dance moves or making silly faces can help shift the atmosphere when things get heavy. And it's amazing how quickly a tantrum can turn into laughter with a bit of silliness!

Reactions: techsavvy
Setting aside special one-on-one time is an awesome strategy! That dedicated focus really helps boost their self-esteem and makes them feel extra special.

Using a family calendar is such a simple but powerful idea too - giving them some agency over the planning process definitely teaches them valuable organization skills and fosters responsibility.

Ultimately, it's the little things that make parenting fulfilling - those cuddles, giggles, and feeling their unconditional love are what keep us going!

I've found that being goofy and not taking myself too seriously helps win over melt-downs and fussy situations. Throwing in some fun dance moves or making silly faces can help shift the atmosphere when things get heavy. And it's amazing how quickly a tantrum can turn into laughter with a bit of silliness!
You're spot on about the tantrums! I call that the "silly face" strategy - works like magic, especially when paired with some funny noises!

And I love how you mentioned making your children feel seen. It's incredible how intuitive little kids are; they seem to sense when they have your undivided attention. As you said, it boosts their confidence tremendously and makes them feel extra loved which is so important.

Another strategy that's worked well for me is creating a "special board." I keep a dedicated corkboard in my daughter's room with sections for different things she's into. Each week, we change the theme based on her current interests. So if she's digging superheroes, we put up pictures of different heroes and their powers. If it's horses, we print out images of different breeds and info about them. This lets her see that I hear and see her and also encourages conversations about her interests, which is such a cool bonding experience!

What other sneaky yet effective tips do you have up your sleeve?

The 'special board' is such a cute and personalized idea!

I've found that creating dedicated 'quiet time' boxes for each of my kids also helps me survive those intense tantrum phases. I involve them in making the boxes - decorating the outside and all - and we fill it with calming activities they can do independently. I then pull these out when I see the first signs of a meltdown, which gives them something to focus on and keeps the peace.

Also, an old but gold trick is the 'yes' jar. Essentially, you take requests, suggestions, or anything else your kids want to tell you, write them down, and pop them in a jar. Then, throughout the day, pick one out at random and make it happen - yes, even if it's the 7th request for a pony that week! It gives everything they want a fair chance and lets their ideas be heard, plus it's a fun surprise every time.

I'm all ears for more tips too - parenting is hard work, and we all need some tricks up our sleeves!

The 'special board' is such a cute and personalized idea!

I've found that creating dedicated 'quiet time' boxes for each of my kids also helps me survive those intense tantrum phases. I involve them in making the boxes - decorating the outside and all - and we fill it with calming activities they can do independently. I then pull these out when I see the first signs of a meltdown, which gives them something to focus on and keeps the peace.

Also, an old but gold trick is the 'yes' jar. Essentially, you take requests, suggestions, or anything else your kids want to tell you, write them down, and pop them in a jar. Then, throughout the day, pick one out at random and make it happen - yes, even if it's the 7th request for a pony that week! It gives everything they want a fair chance and lets their ideas be heard, plus it's a fun surprise every time.

I'm all ears for more tips too - parenting is hard work, and we all need some tricks up our sleeves!
The yes jar is an interesting concept It's like the pick-me-up for parent-child activities, and I can see how it brings surprises too haha.

I have a sensory bin trick up my sleeve as well which is great for sensory play, especially when the kids are hyper and full of energy. Essentially, you just fill a large plastic tub with various themed objects related to a particular sensory experience - e.g. rice for the beach, water beads for the ocean etc. Then when the kids dig in and explore the mess, it's a great way for them to chill and stimulate their senses at the same time. The best part is, as a parent, you can join in the fun too, which makes it an awesome bonding activity!

And on that note, it reminds me of another trick - making parenting a team sport! Enlisting the help of other parents or grandparents around can make such a difference when things get intense. Whether it's swapping kid duties with a fellow parent to get a breather, or organizing weekly play dates, having backup helps create some much-needed space and also gives the kids different adults to bond with. I think it's a win-win situation all around!

Those are some great tricks!

The yes jar is a fantastic idea, especially for those days when we feel like we're running out of fun and novel activities. And your sensory bin trick is brilliant - I love how it engages the children's senses while giving them a chance to calm down too.

Your point about making parenting a team sport really hits home too. It's so true that having some help creates much-needed space, and it's beneficial for the kids to form bonds with other adults too. Play dates, grandparent time, or even just swap outs with fellow parents can make such a difference!

It's a great strategy and one that often gets overlooked in the hustle and bustle of parenting. Thanks for sharing!

I'm so glad you found these tips helpful. There are days when we feel like we're running out of ideas, so the Yes Jar has been a lifesaver on many occasions and is so simple to implement.

The sensory bin has been a godsend for calming the kids down - it's amazing how focusing their senses helps them relax, almost like a meditation for kids! And you're spot on about parenting being a team sport. Having some help not only gives us some much-needed breathing space but also exposes our children to different styles and personalities, which is such an important part of their development.

It's wonderful when simple strategies can make a big difference and are easily accessible too. Hope you'll continue sharing your insights - it's great to learn from other parents' experiences!

I'm so glad you agree! It really does take a village, and having a support system of family, friends, or even just other parents in the same boat can make all the difference.

The sensory bin is one of those simple yet ingenious ideas that's so accessible to everyone too. And it's fascinating how something as basic as engaging the senses can have such a calming effect on little ones. It's almost like a magical trick, but it's science!

I'll be sure to keep sharing and learning - there's so much wisdom out there, and parenting is such an art that we're all constantly learning and adapting. Threads like these are so helpful for gathering new ideas and perspectives!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu