• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Let's discuss all things baby sleep—any tips, secrets, or struggles!

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone!🧡

As many of you know, getting your little one to sleep is no easy task and can be quite the journey. We all want what's best for our babies (and ourselves) so we can wake up feeling rested and recharged!

This thread is dedicated to all things baby sleep; the good, the bad, and everything in between. Share your tried-and-true methods, helpful products or habits that have made a difference, or even your biggest challenges and struggles - let's help each other out!

For my part, one thing that really helped me was establishing a bedtime routine early on. We started with a warm bath, some soft music, and reading a couple of books before snuggling up for sleep. It signalled to my little one that bedtime was approaching and helped them relax and wind down.

What are your go-to tips and tricks? Or maybe you're currently struggling and need some desperate advice! In which case, you've come to the right place!

Let's make this a helpful and supportive discussion 💙💤

Hello everyone!🧡

As many of you know, getting your little one to sleep is no easy task and can be quite the journey. We all want what's best for our babies (and ourselves) so we can wake up feeling rested and recharged!

This thread is dedicated to all things baby sleep; the good, the bad, and everything in between. Share your tried-and-true methods, helpful products or habits that have made a difference, or even your biggest challenges and struggles - let's help each other out!

For my part, one thing that really helped me was establishing a bedtime routine early on. We started with a warm bath, some soft music, and reading a couple of books before snuggling up for sleep. It signalled to my little one that bedtime was approaching and helped them relax and wind down.

What are your go-to tips and tricks? Or maybe you're currently struggling and need some desperate advice! In which case, you've come to the right place!

A consistent sleep routine is so important, it really helps baby to know what to expect. That was a savior for me too, especially when my tot was a newborn; every evening, we'd dim the lights, put on some relaxing jazz music, and I'd rock her to sleep in the same comfortable chair. It's like the cues helped her settle in for the night.

Now that she's a bit older, we've added a fun twist to the routine - a game of "Where's Teddy?" We hide her favorite teddy bear somewhere in the room, and she has to find it with her eyes closed. It's become something she looks forward to and helps her get excited for beddy-byes while also winding down. 🧡

Hello everyone!🧡

A consistent sleep schedule helped mine too! With the addition of a soothing baby massage after the bath, it became our sacred pre-sleep routine. The little one looked forward to it, and it was a wonderful bondinger experience for both parent and child.

I've also heard great things about white noise machines, but never got around to trying them. Any parents here swear by these machines?

Hello everyone!🧡

I think a strict bedtime routine is crucial, agree? It gives the cue for wind-down time and prepares the little ones for what's coming - sleep. A warm bath, some quiet time with soft music, and taking the day off their busy schedule really helps them relax.

For me, consistency worked wonders. Keeping the same routine every night prepares their little bodies and minds for what's next - it becomes a natural progression from playtime to bedtime. And that's half the battle won!

Also, black-out curtains are a godsend, especially during the week when it's still bright outside at 7 p.m.!

• Haha
Reactions: luciana
Hello everyone!🧡

A consistent bedtime routine is an absolute must! It really helps baby (and me) to wind down and relax. We keep the pre-bedtime activities simple: a diaper change, a fresh sleep sack, and some quiet snuggles. Adding a cozy massage with some mild lotion also signals it's almost beddy-bye time.

My biggest struggle is when baby wakes up super early, like 5 or 6 AM grrr... especially on weekends when I'm hoping to catch a bit more zees. Any tips for encouraging slightly later wake-up times? The 'sleep in' option seems foreign to my little one 😅.

Hello everyone!🧡

It took me a while to realize that having a solid routine from an early age helps both me and my toddler.

My tot has always loved books, so that makes it easier. We start our routine with three or four books before bed - he's now at the stage where he "reads" to me, which is adorable. Then we dim the lights, say our prayers, and snuggle up. It's lovely to have that special bonding time before sleep.

I've also found that avoiding screens - TVs and phones especially - an hour leading up to bedtime helps with his sleep quality. He's less jittery and settles down quicker when it's time to sleep.

What other secrets do you guys have to share? Routines, special techniques, or anything else that works like a dream! Let's pool our knowledge together. :)

Hello everyone!🧡

For me, keeping the room dark, with some white noise in the background, helped my kids settle without distractions. Also, being consistent with the routine itself, so they know what to expect, is key!

What other secrets do you guys have for creating a peaceful bedtime environment?

Hello everyone!🧡

A consistent bedtime routine is SO important, I totally agree! Getting those cues across that bedtime is near helps prepare both baby (and us!) mentally and physically for a good night's rest.

One thing I found helped was having a few different relaxing activities up my sleeve to mix things up. Like on warmer nights, we'd skip the bath and do some gentle massage with lotion instead.

Hello everyone!🧡

A sleep routine is so crucial and definitely helped me too! It's like a cue for the little ones to prepare their bodies and minds to wind down. That way, they know what to expect and feel more comfortable when it's bedtime.

One thing I'd add is having a 'soothing sack' ready by the bed. Basically a small cloth bag filled with calming goodies like lavender essence, a small comfy toy, and maybe a familiar photograph (polaroid-style) of mum/dad/caregiver to sniff and snuggle with. It's especially helpful when your tot has trouble self-soothing or needs something comforting to touch and smell when they wake up in the night.

The struggles are real and this sack was a godsend for our fussy nights!

Hello everyone!🧡

I always recommend establishing a routine early. It's good for baby to have a calming pre-sleep routine incorporating bathing, reading, and some quiet time. But honestly, it's not always smooth sailing - some nights are just plain tough! Do any parents have tips for those really tricky sleep-onset or middle-of-the-night wakeful periods? We've all been there!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone!🧡

My son responded well to a routine too, especially after we introduced a visual calendar to prepare him mentally. Knowing what to expect and when really helped the transition into SLEEP mode.

I find that keeping the pre-bed activities relaxed and soothing, such as reducing bright lights and speaking in soft voices, creates a peaceful atmosphere for them to settle down. Also, having a few go-to books on hand helps; it's amazing how captivating the same story can be for little ones night after night!

What other secrets do you guys have for keeping your little ones snug as a bug in a rug?

Hello everyone!🧡

I also want to emphasize the importance of a dark, cool, and quiet bedroom. I made sure to invest in some thick blackout curtains which helped my LO (little one) get those extra hours of sleep during the day, especially during the brighter months.

Are there any new moms struggling with nap time or bedtime?

Hello everyone!🧡

It's beneficial to introduce it from an early age. It signals to the little ones that bedtime is coming and prepares their tiny bodies for some ZZZ's.

My daughter loves her "sleep Sheep" stuffed toy, which plays white noise. It's her cue for sleeptime and helps her relax. She's also very particular about her bedroom being completely dark, so we invested in some blackout curtains, which made a huge difference!

I'm sure other mums have way more insightful tips to share!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu