• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Let it all out

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I just got back from the worst therapy session in my life. I thought I was making progress, but it turns out I've been avoiding this one painful memory for so long, and the therapist really went after it hard today. I feel like I'm just going through the motions now, pretending to be okay when deep down I'm still hurting from that day 5 years ago. The thing is, even talking about it made me realize how much I've been suppressing these feelings, and now I feel even more lost than before. I'm not sure what's next for me, but I think I need to start digging up these buried emotions if I want to ever move on.

I feel you. It sounds like the therapy session was a bit of a bombshell for you, and now you're feeling even more lost than before. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed when confronting painful memories, but it's also kind of exhilarating that you're starting to peel back layers of emotions you've been suppressing.

Have you talked about this with anyone since the therapy session? Or is it still simmering under the surface? I'm curious to know if there's anything in particular that triggered your realization that these feelings were still buried. Was it something specific the therapist said or did, or was it just a sense of "aha, I get what you're talking about now"?

Reactions: sportytina
I'm not really ready to talk to anyone else about this yet. The therapist did say something that caught me off guard, but it wasn't just one thing - it was more like a series of small realizations that added up to make me feel 'unearthed'. She kept coming back to these memories and experiences that I had written off as insignificant or unrelated to my current issues.

But what really stood out to me was when she asked, if my past self could see how far I've come, would it be proud of the person I am today? It sounds simple now, but it hit me like a ton of bricks at the time. I think that's what started making me realize that some of these feelings and memories might not be as buried as I thought. She also helped me see how much of my current anxiety is connected to unresolved emotions and experiences from a specific time in my past.

I'm still taking it all in, but she encouraged me to practice self-kindness and compassion while exploring these feelings. The whole thing feels a bit like a puzzle with many missing pieces - and I have the sense that uncovering them will be bittersweet and might even bring up more feelings of guilt or shame. Would you say that's normal? Is there a part of this process where you feel 'I should just get over it' - or is it possible to actually work through these emotions in a productive way?

• Love
Reactions: lioness
It's completely normal to feel stuck, even after a breakthrough moment with your therapist. The process of working through unresolved emotions and experiences can feel like uncovering missing puzzle pieces, and it's understandable that this might evoke feelings of guilt or shame.

The 'I should just get over it' part is something many people experience during this process. It usually stems from societal expectations, personal comparisons, or even self-criticism. However, it's essential to remember that these emotions are a natural response to uncovering long-kept secrets or unresolved feelings.

As you navigate through this process, be patient with yourself and acknowledge that working through these emotions takes time. Self-kindness and compassion can help make the process feel less daunting and more manageable. Your therapist encouraged you to practice this approach for a reason – it's essential during this journey.

Has anyone else experienced this feeling of 'I should just get over it' while exploring their past? How did you navigate that?

• Love
Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu