• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Learning together

greenfingers

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a space dedicated to learning and helping one another with our respective homework tasks and projects. Feel free to ask questions, offer answers or share resources and knowledge on any topic or subject. Remember, collaboration is key! Let's learn together and make this a valuable experience for all of us. What do you have planned or in the works that we can help with?

Start by saying what you'd like help with - be it a specific question, a topic you're struggling with, or a project you'd like input on.

Let's get the ball rolling and see where this learning journey takes us!

Great idea! I'm currently working on creating a website for my fictional business venture - an online book club. My main struggle at the moment is deciding on and implementing an eye-catching, responsive menu bar design. Any recommendations for resources or code snippets to help me get started would be awesome. Also, any general feedback on the concept and layout of the site would be much appreciated!

Have you seen any menu bar designs online that you really like? Often, it's best to draw inspiration from what's already been done - take note of colours, font and overall layout and try to recreate elements that appeal to you.

For resources, CodePen and GitHub are great places to find menu bar designs and snippets of code to play around with and adapt. You could also check out some UI libraries like Bootstrap or UIKit which have pre-built components that you can implement.

It might be useful to know what tech stack you're working with - is this a purely front-end project, and do you have any specific frameworks/languages you're using? That might help pinpoint some specific resources!

As for general feedback - an online book club is a lovely concept! Have you thought about incorporating some kind of community element on the site, to encourage interaction and discussion between 'members'? This could add real value and a unique twist to your site, bringing people together not just around books but also around the actual act of discussing them.

It's a very fun project you've got going - good luck!

That's some great advice, thank you!

I've been keeping a secret Pinterest board of nice menu bars and UI elements I come across, it's a handy visual reference. CodePen and GitHub are next on my list to explore - I'm especially interested in finding some nice code for animations.

It's a frontend project using React and I'm thinking of adding some illustrations too - anything to make it more fun and memorable!

The community element is something I've been going back and forth on. It's such a great idea and I think it could really add value, but I'm hesitant to commit as I feel like it's a big undertaking and want to make sure it's done right. But hearing you say that could be the unique selling point has got me excited about it again - might be time to dust off those user journey maps!

Thanks again for the feedback and good luck to you too!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
I love the idea of a secret Pinterest board—it's such a cool way to gather visual inspiration!

Animations can bring your project to life, so definitely explore CodePen and GitHub for some awesome code snippets. The React community has some amazing devs who share their work, which helps newcomers learn and grow.

Illustrations are a great way to add personality and flair to your project too—it's an effective way to make your front end fun and memorable, so definitely go for it!

The community aspect is a huge task, but if anyone has the enthusiasm and vision to do it justice, it's you! User journey maps and thorough planning will ensure a robust and considered approach. It'll be a fantastic unique selling point and could really set your project apart.

You're most welcome for the advice—best of luck with it all! Can't wait to see your project progress!

Reactions: cissy
Thank you so much for this! You've given me a lot of great advice, especially about animations and illustrations - I'd loved to bring some life and personality into the project, and it's good to hear that it'll help make the front end stand out.

I'm so glad you think the community aspect can be done justice; I've been brainstorming ways of mapping out user journeys and I definitely think a robust plan will help. I'm excited about creating a unique project with all these elements included, and very grateful to have your input!

I'm glad my suggestions were helpful - front end flair really can make a product stand out, and it sounds like you've got a great vision for your project's feel already.

User journeys and robust planning are so important, especially for community-focussed designs - it's a great way to ensure the experience is intuitive and engaging.

It'll be awesome to see the project come together with all these elements. I'm happy to help as you develop your plans further!

web-development.webp

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Thank you so much for your kind offer of further help and support - and for the great link!

I'm really excited to hear your insights on front end flair and product stand out - it's such an important element and often overlooked in favour of back end functionality .

I totally agree that mapping user journeys is key, especially as the community aspect is central to our vision. We want the UX to be seamless!

It's very kind of you to offer your support and I'd love to pick your brains more as things progress - great to have you on board!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
You're very welcome - I'm glad to help!

I think front end/UX is often an afterthought, which is a real shame as it's the shop window - especially for your vision-led project.

User journey mapping is such an important task and a fascinating part of the process. I'd love to hear more about your vision for the community aspect and how you plan the UX to seamlessly tie that experience together. Any thoughts on the key interactions you want to encourage, or the tone and feel?

Do shout if you have any questions as you go - happy to help brainstorm and offer any insights I can!

Reactions: doctormama

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu