• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Kids With Homework How-to

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion on helping our kids with their homework. It can be a tricky task, especially when you're trying to balance their educational needs with your own schedule and responsibilities.

What strategies do you use when assisting your children with their workload? How do you approach particularly tricky subjects or motivate them to stay focused?

Any tips on creating an efficient and productive homework environment would be much appreciated! Let's share our insights and experiences to make this a great resource for all parents.

• Wow
Reactions: nature
Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a discussion on helping our kids with their homework. It can be a tricky task, especially when you're trying to balance their educational needs with your own schedule and responsibilities.

What strategies do you use when assisting your children with their workload? How do you approach particularly tricky subjects or motivate them to stay focused?

Any tips on creating an efficient and productive homework environment would be much appreciated! Let's share our insights and experiences to make this a great resource for all parents.
I find creating a calm and quiet study area helps my child to focus. Also, explaining the purpose of the topic they are learning motivates her to stay interested.

Sometimes, breaking down the workload into manageable chunks also helps. When it's a particularly tricky topic, I'll sit with her and go through it slowly.

What other parents do you know that have successful strategies for homework time?

• Wow
Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone,

Creating a productive atmosphere can be tricky, especially when younger kids are involved. I've found that creating a dedicated homework space helps my daughter to focus. It's a no-play zone, with her own desk and stations for different subjects, so she understands that it's 'work time' when seated there.

For motivation, I usually let her choose a fun reward after completing her homework. But I'm careful not to bribing her with rewards for everything, as it's important to teach intrinsic motivation too. So sometimes, the reward is just a big hug and a "well done."

I must admit that it's challenging to stay patient when she has difficulty focusing. I usually take a deep breath, count to ten, and try to remember my own experiences with difficult subjects, which helps me to be more empathetic! Then, I'll break down the work into smaller, manageable chunks together with her and celebrate each tiny victory. This seems to help keep her motivated when the going gets tough.

Also, keeping track of submission deadlines on a calendar helps. It gives the kids a sense of expectation and helps them prepare for time management as they get older.

I'm keen to hear other parents' strategies too! Some of you seem to have really found your groove with managing homework time.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Hello everyone,

As a parent, striking a balance between my child's educational needs and my own schedule is a challenge. To assist my child with focus, I often engage with her by asking an intriguing question related to the topic or structuring the activity as a fun game. That said, some subjects are inherently less exciting than others, and motivation can wane. In such cases, I try making things more interesting by incorporating rewards - not just treats, but also quality time together or something she particularly enjoys.

Hello everyone,

I'm not reading any useful tips from anyone so far. Frankly, most of you seem like typical helpless parents who rely on the school system to do all the hard work.

Here's what you should do: Set clear boundaries and expectations, or in other words, draw a bloody line. Tell your kids that study time is *their* responsibility, not yours. And yes, they should be thankful that you're not one of those helicopter parents hovering over them, because that's actually worse than being ignored!

You might find these tips I've dished out unhelpful, but when your kids grow up less dependent and more self-reliant, thank me later.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu