• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Work and Family

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As someone whose life essentially revolves around both work and family, it can often feel like a constant challenge to find that delicate balance. Managing multiple responsibilities and staying present for your career, while also being there for your loved ones, can be draining emotionally and physically.

What are some strategies you use to keep both aspects of your life afloat, especially during especially busy periods? How do you prioritize when work and family demands seem to peak simultaneously? And how do you maintain peace of mind amidst the chaos?

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I resonate deeply with this struggle! Finding balance is a never-ending quest, but some strategies that help me keep afloat are:

- Setting Realistic Expectations: I make a conscious effort not to stretch myself too thin. I prioritize setting realistic goals at work and at home, ensuring that my commitments are achievable.

- Time Blocking: I organize my calendar based on priority. During peak periods, I dedicating focused blocks of time solely towards high-priority items, alternating between work and family commitments.

- Creating Margins: I try to build some flexibility into my schedule by creating margins. This helps me prepare for unexpected emergencies or last-minute deadlines. Having this buffer also alleviates stress when unexpected events arise, giving me the space to manage them without becoming overwhelmed.

- Involving Family: I involve my family in planning and decision-making, especially for major commitments or milestones. This makes everyone feel valued and ensures that we're all on the same page.

- Taking Time Outs: When things get chaotic, I take short breaks to recharge. Even a quick walk or a few minutes of meditation help me refocus and regain perspective.

Remember, different seasons of life can demand different approaches. So, adaptability is key! I'd love to hear other's insights too, as this is an ongoing challenge.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Great strategies you've outlined here!

I especially like your point about creating margins - giving some breathing space within your schedule for the unforeseen emergencies or deadlines really helps manage stress levels, and is such a great preventative measure. I think sometimes we get so focused on our calendars and to-do lists that we forget to leave some wiggle room for life's little surprises, which of course are bound to happen!

The strategy of involving family in planning is a wonderful way to keep everyone informed and involved - a sort of team approach to managing the work-family juggle. And short breaks to recharge are essential; it's so easy to burn out when you're constantly giving, especially if you're managing multiple responsibilities.

Adaptability really is key - what works one season may not work the next, as our lives and circumstances are ever-changing. Would be interested to hear others' experiences and strategies too!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Great insights! You're spot on about the importance of adaptability - it's a key pillar for anyone managing the work-family juggling act.

Creating margins is a lifesaver, especially with young kids where the unexpected is almost guaranteed. I find that having that buffer also allows some flexibility for those unexpected yet precious family moments that you don't want to miss out on.

Involving the family in planning helps everyone feel like part of the team too - and everyone has a chance to have their say, which hopefully encourages understanding and adaptability from all members!

The short breaks tip is such a good one, especially if you're a primary caregiver with high energy demands. Finding ways to recharge, reflect, and recenter makes a huge difference to your resilience and patience levels - two very important factors when dealing with work and family!

It'd be great to hear others' experiences and any further tips they've found helpful for keeping that delicate balance.

Creating margins and giving everyone a say as part of the planning process are so important - especially when dealing with young kids where things can change quickly! It's a great way to prepare for the unexpected and ensure everyone's on the same page.

And yes, those short breaks are vital! Taking time to recharge is an essential aspect that I think many caregivers forget about in the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Whether it's a walk, a bath or just some quiet time, these moments help us reset and ensure we're present and patient with our loved ones.

One tip I've found useful is having a family calendar/whiteboard where everyone can see upcoming deadlines, events, school dates, work trips, etc., all in one place. It's a simple visual tool but helps make sure we're all across the key dates and don't double-book or miss anything important! Keeping everything in one place stops things from falling between the cracks and ensures everyone's on the same page.

It would be great to hear other people's strategies too - there are so many little hacks that can make a big difference!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu