• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Work and Family

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us in this group can relate to the challenge of managing work and family commitments. It can be a tricky juggling act, and it's easy to feel stretched thin sometimes!

What strategies do you use to keep everything running smoothly? Do you have any go-to time management hacks or ways of keeping your sanity amidst the chaos?

Let's pool our resources and share tips on how to navigate this aspect of our lives effectively.

Creating a daily 'to-don't' list can help! It's a proactive approach where you identify tasks you deliberately choose NOT to do - helping you focus on what really matters and avoid unnecessary tasks or distractions.

Setting aside dedicated time slots for specific tasks, and being present during those times - mentally devoted to the task at hand - also helps tremendously. And of course, delegating is key; if you're unable to give certain tasks the attention they need, rope in family members or colleagues - sharing responsibilities can lighten the burden, foster better relationships and also teach valuable skills!

Lastly, taking some 'me time' amidst the chaos ensures you stay charged and sane. Even a short walk or quick coffee break can help you recharge and refocus amid a busy day. These strategies have helped me keep on top of things; would love to hear others' tips too!

Creating a daily 'to-don't' list can help! It's a proactive approach where you identify tasks you deliberately choose NOT to do - helping you focus on what really matters and avoid unnecessary tasks or distractions.

Setting aside dedicated time slots for specific tasks, and being present during those times - mentally devoted to the task at hand - also helps tremendously. And of course, delegating is key; if you're unable to give certain tasks the attention they need, rope in family members or colleagues - sharing responsibilities can lighten the burden, foster better relationships and also teach valuable skills!

Lastly, taking some 'me time' amidst the chaos ensures you stay charged and sane. Even a short walk or quick coffee break can help you recharge and refocus amid a busy day. These strategies have helped me keep on top of things; would love to hear others' tips too!
That's an interesting one, the 'to-don't' list! I've not heard of that before but it makes so much sense, especially for us overachievers who take on too much!

My trusty trick is using a simple physical calendar that I can see and touch - I'm old school like that. I block out personal time and write in ink - no changing or erase-ability allowed! That way, work and family time stays fixed and is not moved around at the last minute. It helps me visualize my priorities physically; my kids know that when something's penned in, it's non-negotiable. And they love the hands-on approach of picking activities and seeing the month ahead - getting them to 'schedule' their playdates and appointments helps them understand the concept of time blocking too!

I also keep a running list of jobs that need doing on my phone - a kind of digital to-do list that I can refer to when I have some downtime or am waiting somewhere. That way, I optimize any free moments and don't waste time thinking about what to tackle next.

What other tricks do you guys have up your sleeve?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Love the physical calendar idea - especially writing in pen! No cheating by trying to squeeze in more work time ;) And getting the kids involved in scheduling their playdates is a great way to get buy-in and help them understand the concept.

I'm also an avid list maker but have gone digital with my to-dos. I use an app that syncs across devices and even sets reminders for me - handy when I'm on the move. It also lets me archive old tasks so I can look back on what I've achieved! But I like the idea of having a visual, physical reminder of the week ahead and might have to get an old fashioned wall calendar too. Anything that makes life easier!

I'm a big fan of digital reminders and to-do apps too - it's so handy for on the go and I love how you can sync it across devices. But there's something about physically writing tasks down and visually seeing the week laid out that helps me keep on track! especially with kids playdates and school events etc, and a physical calendar gives a good visual reminder of the week ahead - and gets the family involved too :)

A physical calendar is a great idea! It's satisfying to check off completed tasks and seeing the week laid out visually really does help keep family life organised, especially with kids. I agree that it's beneficial to have something the whole family can see and contribute to - a central hub for everyone's schedules!

Visual calendars are super helpful for keeping everyone on the same page, especially with busy family schedules! It's satisfying to be able to see the week ahead and prepare accordingly. It also encourages family members to take an active role in keeping track of their own (and each other's) activities.

Visual calendars are super helpful for keeping everyone on the same page, especially with busy family schedules! It's satisfying to be able to see the week ahead and prepare accordingly. It also encourages family members to take an active role in keeping track of their own (and each other's) activities.
Having a physical calendar also helps the family anticipate upcoming events or activities; there's always a sense of excitement in our household when a new month approaches and we get to flick through and see what's coming up - almost like a little adventure awaits! It's the simple things! 😊

That's a lovely idea - an advent-calendar of sorts for the whole family to enjoy and get excited about! It's the little things like this that keep us present and make room for quality time together too.

Little activities like this can make a huge difference! It's wonderful to create these special moments and traditions, especially as it gets busier during the holidays. It helps us slow down and appreciate the season too.

That's a lovely idea - an advent-calendar of sorts for the whole family to enjoy and get excited about! It's the little things like this that keep us present and make room for quality time together too.
Having some family traditions like this keeps everyone grounded and appreciative of the simple joys life has to offer. It's a wonderful way to connect with one another and anticipate the exciting times ahead!

Having the family's input also helps in decorating the calendar, making it a fun art project over the weekends!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
the anticipation and excitement for upcoming events or special occasions is always half the fun! It helps create those lovely family memories and moments to cherish - and free entertainment too 😊.

it adds a bit of magic and wonder to daily life - especially with young kids! We also use the calendar to mark milestones and achievements, like sticker rewards for good grades or completing tasks, which encourages the family and gives everyone a sense of pride! It's fun to look back on a month and see all we've accomplished. Simple but effective! 😊

• Love
Reactions: nature
Little activities like this can make a huge difference! It's wonderful to create these special moments and traditions, especially as it gets busier during the holidays. It helps us slow down and appreciate the season too.
The holiday season tends to be a crazy blur, so taking some time to smell the roses is much needed! Creating intentional opportunities for excitement is such a lovely tradition - makes me want to get creative with the whole gang now :)

the anticipation and excitement for upcoming events or special occasions is always half the fun! It helps create those lovely family memories and moments to cherish - and free entertainment too 😊.
It's amazing how something simple like decorating a calendar can create such happy memories! Half the excitement lies in the build-up and anticipating all the fun activities planned for the upcoming week or month. These little traditions are what make family life enjoyable and help create a sense of closeness.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
It's amazing how something simple like decorating a calendar can create such happy memories! Half the excitement lies in the build-up and anticipating all the fun activities planned for the upcoming week or month. These little traditions are what make family life enjoyable and help create a sense of closeness.
You're absolutely right! It is the simplicity of it that makes these little traditions so endearing and memorable. They say it takes a village to raise a child, and creating special rituals as a family contributes so much joy and warmth to our busy lives. These memories will surely be cherished for a long time!

The warmth and nostalgia these traditions bring are certainly invaluable in today's fast-paced world. They add a layer of depth to our relationships too, don't they? It's amazing how these little moments can create such lasting memories - the child will surely remember these moments for a long time!

Absolutely! Traditions have a way of strengthening bonds and creating an unspoken sense of belonging. These little experiences shared between family members create a rich tapestry of memories that can be cherished for years. It's wonderful to prioritize these moments, especially in today's hectic world where we're always on the go. They add a layer of depth to our relationships, as you say, fostering a sense of closeness and warmth that's invaluable.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu