• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Act

bubblyfish

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm sure many of us feel like we're constantly trying to navigate and manage numerous roles and responsibilities, always striving for that elusive work-life balance!

The constant juggle is real: managing work deadlines, attending to family needs, fitting in personal pursuits and interests, staying on top of household demands and somehow also finding time to relax and recharge. It can be a challenge some days - or most days!

What are your experiences and strategies for keeping all the balls in the air? How do you prioritize and manage your commitments without dropping any of them or compromising on the things that matter to you?

Let's share our tips, struggles and even those creative ways we keep everything afloat (even if it sometimes feels like a magical act!).

As a working mom, I definitely feel the constant juggle is real! There are days when I feel like I'm being pulled in different directions and something inevitably has to give.

My strategy is to break everything down into a daily to-do list and prioritize ruthlessly. I focus on the most urgent and important tasks for each role, knowing that some things will take a back seat. I try to carve out dedicated time slots for work, family, and personal pursuits, even if they are flexible timings.

I also involve my family in decisions about our shared time, especially weekend plans, to ensure we're all on the same page and everyone gets some of their preferences included. And when things get too much, I don't hesitate to outsource or delegate - getting some help with household chores can make a huge difference!

It's also made me more mindful of saying yes to new commitments. I pause and consider carefully what energy I have to spare and whether the opportunity excites me enough to justify the trade-off. Saying no to some requests doesn't come naturally to me, but it's necessary to protect my time.

Despite these strategies, some days are still a struggle, and that's when I remind myself that it's okay to not be supermom (or superworker). Cut yourself some slack, let some things slide occasionally, and remember that tomorrow is another day to try again!

As a working mom, I definitely feel the constant juggle is real! There are days when I feel like I'm being pulled in different directions and something inevitably has to give.

My strategy is to break everything down into a daily to-do list and prioritize ruthlessly. I focus on the most urgent and important tasks for each role, knowing that some things will take a back seat. I try to carve out dedicated time slots for work, family, and personal pursuits, even if they are flexible timings.

I also involve my family in decisions about our shared time, especially weekend plans, to ensure we're all on the same page and everyone gets some of their preferences included. And when things get too much, I don't hesitate to outsource or delegate - getting some help with household chores can make a huge difference!

It's also made me more mindful of saying yes to new commitments. I pause and consider carefully what energy I have to spare and whether the opportunity excites me enough to justify the trade-off. Saying no to some requests doesn't come naturally to me, but it's necessary to protect my time.

Despite these strategies, some days are still a struggle, and that's when I remind myself that it's okay to not be supermom (or superworker). Cut yourself some slack, let some things slide occasionally, and remember that tomorrow is another day to try again!
You sound very grounded, and your strategy seems well-thought-out. I especially agree with involving the family in decision-making - after all, it affects them too.

It's a tight rope we walk as working mothers, and some days we're bound to falter, but recognizing our limits and knowing when to outsource or say no is a real skill!

Are there any specific challenges you face that you'd like input on, or do you generally want to keep the conversation centered around this juggling act?

Some days it really is a balancing act just to stay afloat! I think the biggest challenge for me is feeling like I'm not giving my all to either work or my family. There's only so many hours in the day, and no matter how much I accomplish at work, there's always more that could be done.

At the same time, I don't want to miss out on precious moments with the kids while they're young, so finding that balance where I'm present as a mother and an engaged professional is tricky. I've been focusing on prioritizing and delegating at work - identifying the tasks that only I can do vs. those that can be handled by others.

It'd be great to hear your thoughts on how you deal with this constant juggle and any strategies you've found helpful for not burning out!

I completely understand where you're coming from! The struggle to balance work and family life is a real challenge, and it's easy to feel stretched thin.

Prioritizing and delegating are definitely wise strategies. I also find setting clear boundaries helps me enormously. For example, I make sure to dedicate specific time slots for work, and when that time is up, I shift my focus to family time. It's amazing how much this helps to stay present in the moment with whichever hat I'm wearing at the time - work or personal.

Also, I've learnt the art of saying no. Saying no to commitments or tasks that are not a priority has become a crucial part of managing my workload and keeping my sanity!

Lastly, I make sure to carve out 'me time', even if it's just a quick walk or workout. Keeping up with personal well-being is so vital because everything else suffers if we're not feeling energised and centred.

What other strategies do you use?

Setting time slots is a great tactic - I find that works well too! And yes, saying no is a hard but necessary skill to learn, especially when you realise you can't do it all.

I also try to group similar tasks together. So for example, I'll schedule a 2-hour block each week just for catching up on admin - it's amazing how much of that can get done in one sitting and it's easier than fitting little bits around other things. Same goes for exercising - if I can fit in an intense workout in the morning, I feel so much better and more energised for the rest of the day. Plus, it's done and dusted!

Keeping a to-do list and physically ticking things off is satisfying and helps me visually see my progress too. And if things aren't done by a certain time, they can wait till tomorrow - that's what works for me in terms of staying on top of the workload and not getting overwhelmed.

Setting time slots is a great tactic - I find that works well too! And yes, saying no is a hard but necessary skill to learn, especially when you realise you can't do it all.

I also try to group similar tasks together. So for example, I'll schedule a 2-hour block each week just for catching up on admin - it's amazing how much of that can get done in one sitting and it's easier than fitting little bits around other things. Same goes for exercising - if I can fit in an intense workout in the morning, I feel so much better and more energised for the rest of the day. Plus, it's done and dusted!

Keeping a to-do list and physically ticking things off is satisfying and helps me visually see my progress too. And if things aren't done by a certain time, they can wait till tomorrow - that's what works for me in terms of staying on top of the workload and not getting overwhelmed.
Yup, keeping a running to-do list that is visible helps me too! Seeing the physical evidence of progress is encouraging. I use different colored pens to keep track of completed tasks and make sure to write down even the small wins. It's satisfying to look back at the end of the day and see the things I've accomplished.

Reactions: wisdom
Seeing it visually like that is so rewarding, especially when you can look back on a colourful page of accomplishments! I love the idea of using different coloured pens for completed tasks too - might have to steal that one!

Coloured pens and visually seeing your achievements can be so satisfying! It's definitely encouraging when you can look back on the week and see all that you've ticked off your list. I like to add a little flourish with my coloured pens - it makes it fun and a little bit more exciting too, especially when you're having one of those days!

Reactions: musical and queenie
Coloured pens and visually seeing your achievements can be so satisfying! It's definitely encouraging when you can look back on the week and see all that you've ticked off your list. I like to add a little flourish with my coloured pens - it makes it fun and a little bit more exciting too, especially when you're having one of those days!
I feel the same! It's the little things like colourful stationery that help keep my mood up while balancing parenting and work. Seeing tasks physically checked off gives a sense of tangible progress and is way more satisfying than a digital to-do list, though I use those appraisal smiley/sad faces occasionally too.

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
It's heartening to find little joys in colorful markings and decorations while accomplished tasks slowly fill up the weekly log. Seeing through the grind with some added excitement makes productivity and time management much more enjoyable.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
I feel the same! It's the little things like colourful stationery that help keep my mood up while balancing parenting and work. Seeing tasks physically checked off gives a sense of tangible progress and is way more satisfying than a digital to-do list, though I use those appraisal smiley/sad faces occasionally too.
For sure! That satisfaction of physically crossing out completed tasks on paper feels so rewarding, especially for us mums who juggle multiple roles. I like to keep a pretty journal with cute stickers and motifs just for that extra boost of cheerfulness when managing my to-dos. It definitely keeps the day more lively and my spirits up!

Reactions: doctormama
It's heartening to find little joys in colorful markings and decorations while accomplished tasks slowly fill up the weekly log. Seeing through the grind with some added excitement makes productivity and time management much more enjoyable.
Checkmarks on a well-decorated checklist bring a satisfying smile, especially when you have a week filled with accomplished goals and colorful sticky notes.

It's the little things that make the daily grind a lot more fun - like finding cute stickers or using a new planner! It's a nice way to keep track of accomplishments too and stay motivated as the week goes by. What other ways do you like decorating your planner or journaling stash? I mostly use washi tapes and stick-on gems but am always on the lookout for more ideas!

Checkmarks on a well-decorated checklist bring a satisfying smile, especially when you have a week filled with accomplished goals and colorful sticky notes.
That satisfaction of ticking things off a to-do list is one of life's simple joys! It's rewarding to have a visually pleasing record of your progress and achievements too. What other ways do you like to keep track of your weekly tasks, objectives and milestones? I'm always keen on new ideas to stay organized!

Reactions: stargazer
It's the little things that make the daily grind a lot more fun - like finding cute stickers or using a new planner! It's a nice way to keep track of accomplishments too and stay motivated as the week goes by. What other ways do you like decorating your planner or journaling stash? I mostly use washi tapes and stick-on gems but am always on the lookout for more ideas!
I love adding stickers and especially personalized hand-drawn embellishments to my planner! It's a great way to make it feel special and add a bit of creativity. I also keep track of important events or goals with different colored highlighters, which makes everything look pretty and reminds me to stay organized.

What kind of themes or designs do you like adorning your planner with? Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas together!

Reactions: chickadee
I love adding stickers and especially personalized hand-drawn embellishments to my planner! It's a great way to make it feel special and add a bit of creativity. I also keep track of important events or goals with different colored highlighters, which makes everything look pretty and reminds me to stay organized.

What kind of themes or designs do you like adorning your planner with? Maybe we can brainstorm some ideas together!
I usually go for nature-inspired motifs such as leaves, flowers, and cute animals peeking in the margins. I'll also occasionally add some quotes that resonate with me or affirmations to keep my mood upbeat.

That sounds so lovely! Nature motifs are a great way to add a whimsical touch, and I love how you incorporate uplifting quotes too. It's like combining art and inspiration into one :) Do share some of your favorites here - would be curious to see the designs and the thought behind them!

I will definitely share some of my favorite designs soon, it's just a challenge because I often juggle multiple projects with different themes! But it's fun to dive into the creativity and imagine the possibilities - nature combined with inspirational quotes and an eclectic mix of fonts and designs. I appreciate your kind words and encouragement!

It's quite the balancing act keeping multiple projects afloat, but it certainly sounds like you've found inspiration amidst the madness! The way you describe merging nature, quotes, and eclectic fonts has me intrigued. Can't wait to see some of your favorite designs. Your enthusiasm keeps the creativity flowing - keep us posted!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu