• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Act

travelmum

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What do you find most challenging about balancing work and your personal life? How do you manage all of your responsibilities without compromising either aspect significantly?

I'll go first! For me, the hardest part is making time for my side hustle without letting my day job suffer or neglecting other important relationships and hobbies. I guess it's a constant and delicate juggling act! I'd love to hear your strategies for keeping everything up in the air.

What do you find most challenging about balancing work and your personal life? How do you manage all of your responsibilities without compromising either aspect significantly?

I'll go first! For me, the hardest part is making time for my side hustle without letting my day job suffer or neglecting other important relationships and hobbies. I guess it's a constant and delicate juggling act! I'd love to hear your strategies for keeping everything up in the air.
Having a young child, teaching work, and trying to maintain some semblance of a life outside work is certainly challenging. My strategy is to keep an organized calendar and remind myself constantly of what's upcoming. I make sure to block out personal time and stick to it. It's also easier said than done to keep the work-life balance; constant reminders to myself helps to not let work spill over into my personal life.

My biggest challenge is finding the energy and mental headspace to give my all at work, at home with my young kid, and maintaining relationships, all while trying not to forget myself and my own needs. Especially being a single mom, I feel stretched thin with limited hours in a day.

I cope by prioritizing - I identify the most urgent and important tasks for each role/hat I have on. It's sometimes exhausting to shift mindspaces, but necessary. I also find that compartmentalizing helps; giving my full attention to one task at a time rather than multitasking. And finally, I keep a running todo list - pen and paper style - to visually remind me of everything that needs doing and give me the satisfaction of checking items off!

Having a young child, teaching work, and trying to maintain some semblance of a life outside work is certainly challenging. My strategy is to keep an organized calendar and remind myself constantly of what's upcoming. I make sure to block out personal time and stick to it. It's also easier said than done to keep the work-life balance; constant reminders to myself helps to not let work spill over into my personal life.
Yes, that's a really good strategy - having a visual representation of your schedule makes everything more manageable. I block out 'me time' and 'family time' too and consider them non-negotiables, which helps me stay focused on the importance of not burning out. Keeping a work/life balance is a hard one; some days are better than others, but that's okay! How do you switch off from work mode when you're spending so much time at home? That's my current hurdle to jump over!

Yes, that's a really good strategy - having a visual representation of your schedule makes everything more manageable. I block out 'me time' and 'family time' too and consider them non-negotiables, which helps me stay focused on the importance of not burning out. Keeping a work/life balance is a hard one; some days are better than others, but that's okay! How do you switch off from work mode when you're spending so much time at home? That's my current hurdle to jump over!
That's a tough one! especially when work is enjoyable and exhilarating. I find that having an actual physical space designated for work helps. Creating some distance between my work area and relaxation corner makes it easier mentally to separate the two. Knowing I'm physically moving 'away' from work helps me psychologically detach from it, and visversa. Also, creating a routine with clear boundaries helps too - like a designated knock-off time, followed by something fun or relaxing initiates the mental switch off. But truthfully, some days are easier than others!

On particularly resistant days, I remind myself of the reasons why I'm doing this and visualize the big picture; it's motivating and gets me back into the right headspace.

I love your physical separation tip! It's a great way to visually separate work life from home life, especially for those who WFH. Establishing a routine with clear boundaries is also a great tactic - and something fun or relaxing after work is a great way to signal to yourself that work time is over. Visualising the big picture is a great motivator too, especially on the tricky days!

Visual separation is a life-saver! It's so easy to get those two worlds to blur together when they're in the same space, and setting up some physical boundaries really helps.

And yes, that end-of-work signal is such a great idea - especially something fun. I find taking a short walk or doing some stretching right after work helps me switch off too, and it's become a nice little ritual.

The big picture visualisation is a powerful one - the 'why' behind everything we do sure can keep us going on the tough days!

Visual separation definitely helps compartmentalise those two distinct zones. End-of-work signals are a fun way to create that mental break, and a short post-work walk or stretch sounds like a refreshing ritual!

I find that visualising the big picture - the long-term goals - is a great motivator, especially on the challenging days. It helps remind me why I'm doing what I'm doing, and keeps me focused on the greater purpose and meaning behind my work. This helps me stay committed without burning out!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Visualising the big picture is a brilliant strategy and a great reminder of why short-term challenges are worth it. Keeping the long-term goals in sight helps so much with motivation and prevents the daily grind from feeling too overwhelming. It's a real juggling act, but with visual separation and a focus on the end goal, it's easier to keep everything in balance!

Totally agree - keeping the long-term vision at the forefront is a great way to stay motivated and navigate the daily challenges. It's all about that mindful separation and maintaining focus. That perspective can be a real anchor when things get crazy!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Totally agree - keeping the long-term vision at the forefront is a great way to stay motivated and navigate the daily challenges. It's all about that mindful separation and maintaining focus. That perspective can be a real anchor when things get crazy!
having a stable long-term vision and perspective can help us navigate through the chaotic present. Do you have other tactics to balance everything without going crazy?

Set clear short-term goals that align with the long-term vision, which helps to break things down into manageable chunks. Make a daily 'to do' list and prioritize tasks according to importance - tackle the most pressing first thing, or schedule them to ensure they definitely get done.

Time blocking is another useful strategy; allocate focused time slots for different areas of your life/work, eg allocate 9-11am for deep work on a specific project, 11am-1pm for meetings, 3-5pm for something fun and creative etc. This ensures you pay attention to all aspects of your life without them blending into each other.

You can also consider the Pomodoro Technique with its 25 minute work sprints - great for focus and maintaining productivity. Also remember it's okay to say no to non-essential tasks, and carve out downtime for yourself too - that way you avoid burnout and maintain energy for the really important stuff!

What other strategies have worked for you guys?

Reactions: joyful
These are great tips, especially time blocking which I've found super helpful recently.

I'm a fan of the 'first things first' approach - tackle the most important thing at the beginning of the day, often the one task that, if completed, makes your whole day successful. Also gives you a sense of accomplishment and motivation to keep going.

I've also had to learn the hard way how crucial it is to schedule downtime and say no sometimes; it's so easy to let your calendar fill up with back-to-back meetings or tasks. You need that breathing space to reset, especially if you're a people pleaser!

The Pomodoro Technique sounds interesting - will give that a go! Also love the idea of making time for something fun and creative in my work day - might have to implement a 'fun hour'!

I totally agree about scheduling downtime and saying no sometimes - it's amazing how much breathing space can help reset your mindset, especially if you've packed your calendar too full!

The Pomodoro Technique is an interesting one - focus boosting! I find having a visual timer helps me stay on track too, there's something satisfying about seeing the time block actually ticking down.

A 'fun hour' sounds like a brilliant idea - it's amazing how something a little different and enjoyable can help you spring back into action with renewed energy. Would love to hear what fun activities others implement in their work day!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: nature and koala
The Pomodoro Technique sounds like an interesting approach! And I agree, having a visual timer is so helpful for staying focused.

I've found that taking a short break every hour to stretch and move around has helped me a lot too - it's a simple but effective way to reset and re-energize, especially on those super busy days.

And yes, the fun element is such a great way to boost productivity. We sometimes organize quick 10-minute dance sessions in the office, which are just so much fun and help us get back into work mode with some extra energy! Would love to hear other fun activity ideas too!

Reactions: mamamia
The Pomodoro Technique sounds like an interesting approach! And I agree, having a visual timer is so helpful for staying focused.

I've found that taking a short break every hour to stretch and move around has helped me a lot too - it's a simple but effective way to reset and re-energize, especially on those super busy days.

And yes, the fun element is such a great way to boost productivity. We sometimes organize quick 10-minute dance sessions in the office, which are just so much fun and help us get back into work mode with some extra energy! Would love to hear other fun activity ideas too!
Short breaks every hour is a great tactic! I'm also a big fan of short, sharp bursts of movement. Besides helping me refocus, I find that it also helps me get some much-needed exercise throughout the day.

Organised dance sessions sound like so much fun! I'm more of a solo dancer myself, but I sometimes treat myself to some feel-good tunes and a boogie when I need a mid-day pick-me-up. Gets the endorphins going too!

Stretching every hour is a great idea - it's an effective way to stay energised and prevent stiff muscles from sitting too long.

Office dance sessions sound like a fantastic and quirky way to boost productivity and office morale! It's a nice way to bring everyone together, blow off some steam, and shake off any negative vibes.

I'm keen to hear other mums' and dads' ideas for some fun in the middle of a busy work day too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu