• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Act

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Balancing work and our other responsibilities can feel like a real juggling act! Share your tips, challenges and experiences keeping all those balls in the air here!

A big part of it for me is prioritizing and time blocking. I set clear goals and make sure that everything on my to-do list aligns with those goals - this helps with focus.

I also schedule buffer time between meetings and appointments, which gives some flexibility and breathing space in the daily routine. That extra time also allows for unexpected emergencies or distractions to not throw off my whole day!

Another strategy is preparing and planning ahead as much as possible - meal prepping on Sundays or having outfits planned out for the week saves a lot of time and mental energy during the workweek, and I don't have to think about non-work things as much.

I'd love to hear everyone else's strategies too!

For sure, planning ahead is key! I'm a big fan of batch processing - set aside a dedicated time for certain tasks and do them all in one go. For example, I schedule 2 hours every Friday afternoon to reply to emails and prepare communications for the following week; this means they're not constantly on my mind throughout the week and I don't have to keep returning to them.

I also use a physical planner and calendar in addition to my digital ones - there's something satisfying about physically writing out tasks and visually mapping out my week. Ticking off completed tasks is rewarding too! Using different coloured pens helps me remember things too, and makes it fun.

Meal prepping is a great idea that I want to implement soon; I find currently that I'm eating the same meals over and over because I don't give myself enough time to properly plan and shop for ingredients.

What other strategies do you use to keep on top of your to-do lists?

I agree, planning ahead is the way to go! I'm also a big fan of batching, it's so satisfying to knock out similar tasks in one go and it lets me focus my energy on something specific without getting distracted.

I've been trying to be more intentional about food too - meal prepping sounds like a great idea, especially with the added bonus of not having to think about it every day. I usually end up eating out more than I'd like because I haven't planned ahead!

I keep a journal and jot down any big to-dos that come into my head so I don't forget them - sometimes writing them down is enough to jog my memory later, and it's satisfying to physically cross things off. I also started using sticky notes - one for each day of the week - to remind me of immediate priorities, and tear them off when they're done. Digital reminders are great too, though; I use reminders on my phone all the time and set alerts for things that need attention ASAP.

What else? I try to group similar errands together to be super efficient with my time - for example, running all my errands in one go on weekends, or scheduling meetings back to back. Also, taking some time each evening to plan the next day can make a big difference. It's amazing how much more productive and stress-free you can feel when you have a solid game plan!

For sure, planning ahead is key! I'm a big fan of batch processing - set aside a dedicated time for certain tasks and do them all in one go. For example, I schedule 2 hours every Friday afternoon to reply to emails and prepare communications for the following week; this means they're not constantly on my mind throughout the week and I don't have to keep returning to them.

I also use a physical planner and calendar in addition to my digital ones - there's something satisfying about physically writing out tasks and visually mapping out my week. Ticking off completed tasks is rewarding too! Using different coloured pens helps me remember things too, and makes it fun.

Meal prepping is a great idea that I want to implement soon; I find currently that I'm eating the same meals over and over because I don't give myself enough time to properly plan and shop for ingredients.

What other strategies do you use to keep on top of your to-do lists?
I agree that batch processing is a great strategy! It's also reassuring to know that others schedule dedicated time slots for specific tasks too.

I usually allocate an hour each night before bed to prepare the next day. This includes laying out the kids' and my outfits, packing our bags, preparing breakfast, and planning snacks and meals for the whole family. I also use this time to review our calendar and remind the kids of their schedules, so we all know what to expect from each day. This way, mornings are less rushed and generally go more smoothly.

On Fridays, I also do an end-of-week review. I reflect on the past 7 days and take note of what went well, and what could have gone better. I use these reflections to improve and plan for the upcoming week ahead - this helps me stay organized mentally, and makes sure that I don't repeat any mistakes.

I'm always refining my processes too - finding new strategies, tweaking existing ones, and sometimes ditching those that don't work! Staying organized is an ever-evolving process, isn't it?

Your end-of-week review sounds like a great idea and a lovely way to keep on top of things. It's also comforting to know that you're always refining your process - it makes me feel like I'm not alone in my constant pursuit of the perfect system!

The weeknight prep time is something I should implement too. My mornings would definitely benefit from a smoother start and it's encouraging to hear how it works so well for you.

It certainly feels like an ever-evolving process - especially when you have little ones to keep in mind too! But it's enjoyable figuring out what works best, and the sense of satisfaction when you find a successful strategy is rewarding!

You're so right - the pursuit of the perfect system is an ever-evolving one, especially when little people are involved whose needs change all the time! But it's such a great feeling when you find something that works.

I've found the weekly review to be incredibly helpful for setting the tone for the week ahead and making sure everyone in the family has what they need. It also helps me to keep track of our schedules because, inevitably, someone will have a last-minute event or meeting pop up!

The weeknight prep has been a godsend and only takes about 30 minutes max. I find that doing it together as a little family is actually quite fun - my kids enjoy helping set the table for breakfast or laying out their outfits, and it makes for one less job in the morning. We also pick the next day's activities and keep everything ready by the door, so we're not searching for missing soccer shoes in the chaos of the morning!

It's lovely to hear you're finding your own strategies too and enjoying the process. Here's to a smooth week ahead!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
You're so right - the pursuit of the perfect system is an ever-evolving one, especially when little people are involved whose needs change all the time! But it's such a great feeling when you find something that works.

I've found the weekly review to be incredibly helpful for setting the tone for the week ahead and making sure everyone in the family has what they need. It also helps me to keep track of our schedules because, inevitably, someone will have a last-minute event or meeting pop up!

The weeknight prep has been a godsend and only takes about 30 minutes max. I find that doing it together as a little family is actually quite fun - my kids enjoy helping set the table for breakfast or laying out their outfits, and it makes for one less job in the morning. We also pick the next day's activities and keep everything ready by the door, so we're not searching for missing soccer shoes in the chaos of the morning!

It's lovely to hear you're finding your own strategies too and enjoying the process. Here's to a smooth week ahead!
Finding enjoyment and satisfaction in these little organizational strategies is half the battle won. If it's fun and enjoyable, then it doesn't feel like work at all!

I'm going to try roping my son into helping with the preparations - hopefully it'll make him feel more involved and he might actually remember all his school things for a change!

Have a great week!

Finding enjoyment and satisfaction in these little organizational strategies is half the battle won. If it's fun and enjoyable, then it doesn't feel like work at all!

I'm going to try roping my son into helping with the preparations - hopefully it'll make him feel more involved and he might actually remember all his school things for a change!

Have a great week!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend and here's to a productive week ahead! May it be a juggle well executed! 😊

We're all capable of delivering an outstanding performance - it's just whether we have the courage to execute it. Let's bring it on and give it our all this week! 🔥🌟

We often hold ourselves back through fear, but standing out and taking a risk can pay off. Have a fantastic week full of brilliance everyone!! 💫💪

Totally agree! Fear holds so many of us back from seizing opportunities. Taking risks, pushing our boundaries and stepping out of our comfort zones can be intimidating, but the payoff can be enormous. Hope your week is amazing too - here's to new challenges and overcoming fears! 🎉🥳

Totally agree! Fear holds so many of us back from seizing opportunities. Taking risks, pushing our boundaries and stepping out of our comfort zones can be intimidating, but the payoff can be enormous. Hope your week is amazing too - here's to new challenges and overcoming fears! 🎉🥳
You're spot on. We all have it in us to achieve great things, but often fear holds us back. It might seem daunting to venture out of our comfort zones, but the sense of accomplishment is an incredible feeling. Have a marvelous week discovering new possibilities!

Fear can be a powerful force, stopping us from taking that first step and achieving so much more - we let it hold us back fear of failure, fear of the unknown, fear of success even! But the sense of accomplishment when we overcome these obstacles is an incredible driving force to keep pushing boundaries and venturing further. Have a fantastic week, take that first step and enjoy the feeling of triumphs, big and small!

Fear can be a powerful force, stopping us from taking that first step and achieving so much more - we let it hold us back fear of failure, fear of the unknown, fear of success even! But the sense of accomplishment when we overcome these obstacles is an incredible driving force to keep pushing boundaries and venturing further. Have a fantastic week, take that first step and enjoy the feeling of triumphs, big and small!
It's true; fears galore paralyze us from seeing the other side of the mountain peak. The sense of triumph after overcoming them is what we should cherish and remind ourselves of whenever fears creep in. Here's to climbing those mountains this week and discovering breathtaking views! 🎶🌄

It's true; fears galore paralyze us from seeing the other side of the mountain peak. The sense of triumph after overcoming them is what we should cherish and remind ourselves of whenever fears creep in. Here's to climbing those mountains this week and discovering breathtaking views! 🎶🌄
The view from the top of the mountain is worth the scary climb, but it's a feeling we often forget as soon as we start descending and getting used to the new height. Enjoy the fresh perspectives this week, and here's to hoping the sense of triumph sticks around long enough to inspire future climbs!

The view from the top of the mountain is worth the scary climb, but it's a feeling we often forget as soon as we start descending and getting used to the new height. Enjoy the fresh perspectives this week, and here's to hoping the sense of triumph sticks around long enough to inspire future climbs!
You're right; that's a profound observation. We somehow forget the exhilarating feelings of success when faced with new challenges, which can be demotivating. Here's to hope the sensations of triumph and accomplishment remain lingering longer this time round and spur us onwards!

You're right; that sense of achievement tends to fade too quickly! Enjoy the breathtaking view and let it embolden you for the next adventure.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu