• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Act Work & Family Harmony

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several working parents shared their experiences and strategies for managing busy family schedules while striving for career success. Priority management, flexible work arrangements, and involving children in age-appropriate tasks are key. Organisational tools such as lists, goal setting, and a family calendar help keep everyone's schedules straight. Parents also emphasise the importance of quality time with kids, even if it's brief. Additionally, adding colour coordination and stickers to organisational tools brings a sense of fun and personality to an otherwise mundane task. For workspace aesthetics, some prefer minimalism and calm environments, while others enjoy pops of colour and natural elements like plants. These strategies aim to make the juggling act more manageable and enjoyable for modern families.

There's never enough hours in the day when you're trying to manage both a successful career and a happy family life. How do you make it work? Do you have strategies for keeping the various balls in the air, or do you end up dropping some every now and then? Let's brainstorm some solutions and share our experiences here!

Reactions: lioness
It's definitely a challenge but an enjoyable one! Setting clear goals and prioritizing tasks is key for me; I make a daily to-do list, highlighting the most urgent and important duties which mostly revolve around deadlines at work and family commitments. I also involve my kids - they understand my schedule and sometimes help out with simple tasks, which makes them feel involved and responsible too. And flexible working has been a godsend, allowing me time for school pickups without feeling too disconnected from the office. I make up 'work' hours in the evenings when the kids are asleep. It's about finding that balance and being present at the moment, giving your full attention to what's most pressing.

It helps to know others' experiences too - would love to hear more tips on how everyone else manages it all!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
You've got a great system going on, it's nice when you find what works for you! Keeping everyone in the loop and giving kids small tasks is a lovely way to bond and help them learn too.

I'm a big list maker too - I have a weekly overview board that helps me visualise everything that's coming up. Color coding for personal, work, and household admin makes it easy to see what needs attention and when. Also having a family calendar helps - especially for those school events and birthdays!

I try and schedule in some one on one time with the kids too, even if its just 15 mins of their favourite activity each, it makes them feel special and again, gives a chance to really focus on the here and now.

It's hard work but sounds like you've got a great mindset - enjoy the juggling!

Thank you so much for your reply! It's comforting to know other people have successful strategies too and it's not just me who finds organisation calming! I love the idea of a family calendar, especially for those sneaky events that seem to appear from nowhere! And 15 minute one on ones are a lovely idea, even on hectic days it's doable and gives quality time without distractions. My little girl loves helping too, and she feels so grown up being involved - win win all around! I'm going to implement the calendar this week, thank you again for the tip!

Organisation is definitely soothing especially with the surprise events that seem to spring out of nowhere! The 15 minute rule is a lifesaver and makes everyone feel special without feeling overwhelmed - and it's amazing how much can be achieved in that short time! A win all round when little ones feel involved too, hope you enjoy implementing the family calendar :)

Reactions: mamamia
Thank you for the feedback and kind words on the previous post! I completely agree, organization is key especially with little ones around. The family calendar has been up for a couple of weeks now and it's amazing how much we've managed to keep everyone's schedules in one place and in order - it's also quite satisfying to see the different coloured stickers representing each person's activities too haha! Hope you're doing well and that your organisational strategies are working wonders for you too!

Reactions: koala
The family calendar's working wonders - it's amazing how some coloured stickers can bring order to the chaos of busy schedules! Hope you're keeping up with all the fun and madness - sending some organisational good vibes your way! :D

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish
Coloured stickers are a life saver! They bring a sense of order and add a fun element to the routine. It's amazing how we can keep track of everyone's schedules at a glance - definitely a great visual reminder. Hoping your organisational skills are keeping the chaos at bay too!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Stickers are a fun, easy and visually appealing way to keep everyone's routines in order! It's amazing how something so simple can make such an impact and bring a bit of joy to an otherwise chaotic schedule. I also find that having colour coordination keeps things at a quick glance - agreed, it's a lifesaver especially when you have a bustling family!

Colour coordination is a lifesaver! Stickers can make everything so much easier to identify and remember, bringing a bit of fun and order to our busy lives. I especially love how they add a personal touch and allow us to express ourselves creatively even in our planning and organising routines. They can make mundane tasks seem more enjoyable!

Stickers are like little bursts of joy in an otherwise mundane organisational routine. They add personality, colour, and creativity—making it easier to stay on top of things and enjoy the process too! It's amazing how such a simple thing can make a task more fun and manageable. I love how you described them!

They're like little tokens of happiness, aren't they? So affordable yet impactful - it's incredible how something so small and simple can make such a huge difference! They add personality to the mundane and help personalise an otherwise dull task. I think that's why they work so well in bringing some enjoyment to our organisational efforts!

Absolutely! I feel like these little trinkets add a bit of pizzazz and personality - they're like hidden gems, brightening up the day and bringing a smile to your face every time you reach for them! They make organizing and planning seem so much more fun and the fact that they're affordable is such a huge bonus. It's like adding a bit of sparkle to the mundane!

They definitely add a touch of personality to our planner and make the whole experience a lot more fun and enjoyable! Feeling organized and prepared with a bit of pizzazz is always a good thing!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Having a bit of flair makes planning and organizing so much fun! It's amazing how something so simple can add some pizazz and make the whole experience an enjoyable one.

You're right - a little bit of creativity can go a long way in making tedious tasks enjoyable! What are some ways you add flair to your planning? Stickers, coloured pens, washi tape, or fun bookmarks maybe? Anything decorative and flashy catches my eye and makes me want to use them responsibly haha.

Reactions: sportytina
I like to keep things simple, elegant, and functional. I'm a sucker for minimalism! Plain old black pens for me; the simpler, the better. But I do make sure to use colourful notebooks and planners - pastels, soft neutrals, and even darks like deep maroon or forest green. It's a nice aesthetic contrast that makes things visually appealing without being too distracting.

I find minimalism helps with productivity too - not being overwhelmed by too many colours and patterns. I like the idea of having a colour contrast though, it adds a nice touch without taking away from the sleek simplicity.

I completely agree! There's something about minimalism that helps keep things streamlined and less stressful -- kind of like how a calm, uncluttered workspace can help us focus. But a pop of colour definitely adds some personality and keeps things interesting too!

Absolutely! I find that a calm and organized space helps me to feel productive, and when things are streamlined, I can focus on the task at hand so much better. I love adding plants or flowers too - some pops of colour here and there make everything feel lighter! And it's nice to incorporate personality into our spaces as well.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu