• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Juggling Act Strategies Shared

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As a working professional, balancing various roles and responsibilities can be a real challenge. We often feel pulled in different directions and stretched thin. Let's share our strategies for managing this delicate juggling act! Whether it's tips on time management, prioritizing tasks, or maintaining focus, let's pool together our insights and experiences to create a valuable resource for one another.

What are your go-to strategies for keeping the work-life see-saw from tipping over? How do you manage your energy levels, productivity, and overall sanity amidst the chaos? Join the discussion and let's learn from each other's successes (and challenges)!

I rely heavily on scheduling and segmenting my days to stay productive and manage my energy levels. I block out specific time slots for different tasks and commitments, which helps me stay focused on one thing at a time. This way, I can give each task my full attention without feeling scattered.

I also find that breaking down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks makes them less daunting and easier to tackle. Setting reasonable deadlines for these smaller tasks keeps me on track and motivates me to keep moving forward.

Maintaining a simple to-do list, preferably the old school way with pen and paper, helps me visually organize my tasks and provides a satisfying sense of progress as I tick things off. This method also ensures that I'm not overwhelmed by digital notifications and reminders.

Lastly, while this may sound counterintuitive, taking short breaks between tasks helps me recharge and refocus. Even a quick 10-minute walk or stretch can help me regain energy and come back refreshed and re-energized. Sometimes stepping away from work briefly allows me to gain new perspective and clarity.

I'd love to hear other strategies people use! Some days are definitely more challenging than others, so I'm all ears for any novel ideas to keep the juggling act going strong.

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I rely heavily on scheduling and segmenting my days to stay productive and manage my energy levels. I block out specific time slots for different tasks and commitments, which helps me stay focused on one thing at a time. This way, I can give each task my full attention without feeling scattered.

I also find that breaking down larger tasks into smaller, more manageable chunks makes them less daunting and easier to tackle. Setting reasonable deadlines for these smaller tasks keeps me on track and motivates me to keep moving forward.

Maintaining a simple to-do list, preferably the old school way with pen and paper, helps me visually organize my tasks and provides a satisfying sense of progress as I tick things off. This method also ensures that I'm not overwhelmed by digital notifications and reminders.

Lastly, while this may sound counterintuitive, taking short breaks between tasks helps me recharge and refocus. Even a quick 10-minute walk or stretch can help me regain energy and come back refreshed and re-energized. Sometimes stepping away from work briefly allows me to gain new perspective and clarity.

I'd love to hear other strategies people use! Some days are definitely more challenging than others, so I'm all ears for any novel ideas to keep the juggling act going strong.
Your time blocking technique sounds manageable and productive! Keeping a physical to-do list is satisfying

One strategy I find helpful for difficult or mundane tasks is setting a timer for 15 or 20 minutes and committing to power through them without distractions. Often, the task takes less time than expected when focused. This technique also helps me develop 'tunnel vision,' blocking out all else besides the job at hand. Like your breaks, it's amazing how clearing this focused time can make tedious chores a little more bearable and quicken my pace.

Otherwise, I agree that breaking tasks into smaller parts is the way to go! It's motivating to see progress and have small wins throughout the day. With young children around, their endless energy can be draining, so segmenting parenthood duties is a great way to keep up with everything else life demands. Having a visual timeline or schedule of sorts, like a white board timer, might help keep you and the little ones on track and aware of what's coming up next -- giving everyone a heads up for transition periods too.

I'm keen to hear other strategies too as some days are real doozies!

Reactions: wellness

I also like pen and paper; there's something satisfying about scribing and physically ticking off completed tasks. I find that having a clear desk helps with focus too - out of sight, out of mind. So, I do a quick clear and organize when my workspace is getting cluttered. Otherwise, it can feel like the paperwork (or digital tasks) will engulf me!

I've also started prioritizing tasks by energy level; some require deep work and focus, while others are more mechanical and don't need as much brain power. Grouping similar tasks together can make for efficient use of energy and momentum.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
I totally agree about clearing physical and digital clutter! It's amazing how focusing on one thing at a time, especially when it's visually uncluttered, helps to stay focused.

Prioritizing by energy levels is an interesting strategy - I've found that some tasks require a certain mindset or energy to tackle so grouping them makes sense and feels very efficient. What other strategies does everyone use to group and prioritize their to-dos? Apps, colour coding, post-its, the good ol' fashioned whiteboard?

I totally agree about clearing physical and digital clutter! It's amazing how focusing on one thing at a time, especially when it's visually uncluttered, helps to stay focused.

Prioritizing by energy levels is an interesting strategy - I've found that some tasks require a certain mindset or energy to tackle so grouping them makes sense and feels very efficient. What other strategies does everyone use to group and prioritize their to-dos? Apps, colour coding, post-its, the good ol' fashioned whiteboard?
I utilize a simplistic color-coding method using my calendar app. Each commitment or task is coded to denote its priority level and nature - red for personal must-dos, blue for work-related tasks, and green for errands or chores. This system helps me keep tabs on my various roles and energies needed for each.

Reactions: happyfeet

I'm glad you agree! Prioritizing our to-do lists can be daunting, so I find dividing them into manageable chunks by energy levels helps us tackle them efficiently.

Some of my mum friends use a combination of strategies - pen and paper, whiteboards, and apps like Todoist for keeping track of their tasks. Color-coding seems to be a popular method too; each task or type of task is assigned a specific color, which makes identifying and prioritizing them easier. For digital task managers, I've heard quite a bit of good things about Asana and Trello as well, especially for visually organizing tasks and collaborating with others.

Some mums in my community also print out monthly calendars and hang them up at eye level in their workspaces. This way, they can see their month's worth of plans and appointments at a glance, and it helps them keep on top of things!

I'm keen to hear if anyone else has unique strategies for keeping their sanity amidst the bustling motherhood life!

I utilize a simplistic color-coding method using my calendar app. Each commitment or task is coded to denote its priority level and nature - red for personal must-dos, blue for work-related tasks, and green for errands or chores. This system helps me keep tabs on my various roles and energies needed for each.
I've also assigned different emojis for each family member so I can quickly scan my schedule and know who needs to be where and when without having to decipher multiple colors! It's a fun and effective visual approach.

I've also assigned different emojis for each family member so I can quickly scan my schedule and know who needs to be where and when without having to decipher multiple colors! It's a fun and effective visual approach.
That's an ingenious idea! emojis are certainly visually distinguishing and would make it easy to plan ahead.

That's an ingenious idea! emojis are certainly visually distinguishing and would make it easy to plan ahead.
Using emojis to plan and organise our schedules is a fun way to make time management less mundane! It'd be super helpful for busy moms who need a quick visual reminder of what's next on the agenda.

Reactions: sunnybunny
That's such a creative idea! Emojis are visually appealing and might make planning more fun and engaging, especially for those who find organizational apps too monotonous. I'm curious: which emojis do you use for what tasks? Can they be customized or personalized at all, or is there a specific system to it?

That's such a creative idea! Emojis are visually appealing and might make planning more fun and engaging, especially for those who find organizational apps too monotonous. I'm curious: which emojis do you use for what tasks? Can they be customized or personalized at all, or is there a specific system to it?
The emoji system is quite flexible so that users can assign tasks according to their own preferences. For instance, I use the running shoe emoji for exercise🚶🏃 and the kissing lips for dates 💋and romantic dinners, which is a fun twist on the usual meal emoji options. There are also various food emojis so I use the pizza 🍕 for my son's favorite meals to create a bit of excitement. It's quite an enjoyable way to categorize my to-do's and brings a fun element to an otherwise mundane task. I like how it makes my planning sessions more visually appealing and engaging, especially with the bright colors and adorable pictures!

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
That's such a clever way to make organization fun and personalize your tasks! 😀 I can see how the visuals could make planning more enjoyable and also help remember certain items too. It's like creating a unique code or language with the emojis - a fun way to add some personality to productivity! 🤩🍃

Totally! The visual aspect really does make planning and organizing a lot more fun, especially with the customizable and expressive nature of emojis. It's a simple way to make a tedious task a lot more enjoyable and memorable too! 😎🤣

The visual strategies definitely add a bit of excitement to planning! They make it easier to keep track of tasks and add a bit of personality too - a fun twist to an otherwise mundane task! 😊😉

The visual strategies definitely add a bit of excitement to planning! They make it easier to keep track of tasks and add a bit of personality too - a fun twist to an otherwise mundane task! 😊😉
Visual strategies can spice things up and make planning more enjoyable. It's nice to have a personalized system that suits our aesthetic preferences and adds some variety to the daily grind!

Absolutely! It's fun to find ways to make planning engaging and visual strategies are such a great way to keep things interesting - it almost becomes an art project in itself! Personalization is key - especially if it adds some inspiration and motivation to our daily tasks. We all have different preferences and styles that suit us, so it's great to embrace that and create something functional and pretty at the same time! Visual strategies definitely make the juggling act more fun :)

It's amazing how visual strategies make planning interesting and engaging without becoming tedious. They are a great way to bring some personality and style into the mix too - making functional tools also visually appealing. It's an art form indeed!

They're a great way to add a bit of creativity too. I find that visuals and diagrams especially help me to stay focused on the planning process and keep all the different aspects in mind - it's so easy for everything to become a jumbled mess! But with a good visual strategy, things just seem to fall into place.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu