• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Journey of Adoption

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The day we brought our daughter home, my husband and I began our adoption journey. We had always spoken openly about adoption being an option for building our family, and when the time felt right, we started the process. The last two years have been some of the most exciting, scary, challenging and rewarding times of our lives.

I want to share this experience because it's a road less traveled by many, and also because there is so much about adoption that remains a mystery to the general public. Our story involves a domestic adoption through an agency, but each adoption journey is unique and I know some of you will have very different stories to share too.

Our first steps were the hardest - choosing an agency, attending the mandatory classes on adoption and fostering, and compiling our profile book. Then came the wait. This period was agonizing; we felt so helpless and impatient as we sat on the sidelines hoping a birth parent would choose us. Thankfully, our phone finally rang nine months later - it was "the call." We were being matched with a pregnant mom who wanted to meet us. Fast forward to today, and our daughter is sleeping soundly in her cot, blissfully unaware of the remarkable strength and courage it took for her birth mother to make an adoption plan for her.

I'm keen to hear others' stories here too - anyone else care to share their journey?

Congratulations on your new family! Your story is inspiring, and you're right - each adoption journey is unique and fascinating.

Our situation was a little different as we chose an international route through a private agency. The process was lengthy and tedious, filled with paperwork and interviews, but we finally brought home our beautiful son two years ago. Like you, the wait was killing us; it's a helpless feeling, especially when you're so excited to start your family.

We had always envisioned expanding our family through adoption, so it was a wonderful and emotional moment when we finally got the call. Our son was from an eastern European country and needed some additional medical attention, but thankfully, the process post-matching was relatively straightforward, given the extensive paperwork trail beforehand!

It's heartwarming to hear other stories like ours and to see more families being created through this wonderful, if sometimes challenging, method. I'd love to hear more about the challenges others faced and how you got through them.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and luciana
Our adoption journey was also a lengthy one; it took close to three years from the start of the process until we brought our precious daughter home. Like your experience, it was filled with interviews and mountains of paperwork!

We were matched with a young girl from an Asian country whose birth parents had sadly passed away. The hardest part for us was the uncertainty and the lack of control over the timeline - being at the mercy of the adoption agency and the legal system was frustrating, to say the least! We occupied ourselves during the wait by preparing the nursery and attending classes to prepare for our new addition.

Once we were matched, things moved quite quickly - we had to organize the necessary travel documents, visas, and accommodations, which was a daunting task! But the joy of finally holding your child in your arms makes it all worth it.

I agree that it's the challenges along the way that make the eventual success so rewarding. Congratulations again on your new addition; I wish you all the happiness ahead as you continue your journey as parents!

Our adoption journey was also a lengthy one; it took close to three years from the start of the process until we brought our precious daughter home. Like your experience, it was filled with interviews and mountains of paperwork!

We were matched with a young girl from an Asian country whose birth parents had sadly passed away. The hardest part for us was the uncertainty and the lack of control over the timeline - being at the mercy of the adoption agency and the legal system was frustrating, to say the least! We occupied ourselves during the wait by preparing the nursery and attending classes to prepare for our new addition.

Once we were matched, things moved quite quickly - we had to organize the necessary travel documents, visas, and accommodations, which was a daunting task! But the joy of finally holding your child in your arms makes it all worth it.

I agree that it's the challenges along the way that make the eventual success so rewarding. Congratulations again on your new addition; I wish you all the happiness ahead as you continue your journey as parents!
The uncertainty and lack of control are certainly trying for one's patience and sanity! Luckily, there's light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for sharing - glad it worked out well for you too.

It is a crazy ride but so worth it!! The uncertainty and unknown can certainly take its toll, but the payoff makes it all worthwhile in the end - congrats on your journey too!

Reactions: wellness and wisdom
The metaphor fits so well - I couldn't have said it better myself! It's an exhilarating ride but one that makes the destination so much more rewarding. Congrats again!

The metaphor fits so well - I couldn't have said it better myself! It's an exhilarating ride but one that makes the destination so much more rewarding. Congrats again!
the feeling is mutual. Congratulations once again, and here's to many lovely moments ahead with our little ones. 😊

Reactions: stargazer
Thank you so much! I can't wait for all the adventures and memories - it's a very exciting time! Congrats again on your adoption journey too! 🎉😄

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Thank you so much! I can't wait for all the adventures and memories - it's a very exciting time! Congrats again on your adoption journey too! 🎉😄
Life as we know is full of surprises, and the journey is just starting! There will be many more milestones to celebrate. Cheers! Congratz once more.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays and cissy
So many beautiful milestones ahead - congratulations again and enjoy all the wonderful moments coming your way!
The joy and excitement are truly overwhelming, isn't it? Congratulations to you too. May we all have a smooth sail ahead, filled with joyous moments of discovering new milestones together with our little ones. Have a lovely day ahead, and thanks for sharing this happy moment with me!

May the road rise up to meet you as you embark on this adoption journey! New milestones are exciting - I'm so thrilled for you and all the wonderful discoveries ahead. Wishing you a smooth and joyful ride throughout this process and beyond. Congratulations again on your expanding family!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
May the road rise up to meet you as you embark on this adoption journey! New milestones are exciting - I'm so thrilled for you and all the wonderful discoveries ahead. Wishing you a smooth and joyful ride throughout this process and beyond. Congratulations again on your expanding family!
What a lovely blessing! Thank you so much, I'm truly touched by your kind words. I hope the same for you and your family as well -- that your journey ahead is full of delightful surprises and precious moments. Have a fantastic week ahead!

What a beautiful blessing! Thank you so much. It excites me to think of all the lovely moments we will experience as our little ones grow. The support from fellow parents is宝贵 and heartwarming, especially those who have gone through similar experiences. Your well wishes are greatly appreciated. Here's to new beginnings! 🥂

• Love
Reactions: koala and musical
What a lovely blessing! Thank you so much, I'm truly touched by your kind words. I hope the same for you and your family as well -- that your journey ahead is full of delightful surprises and precious moments. Have a fantastic week ahead!
Wishing you many precious moments with your little one. Enjoy the journey ahead!

The happiness and joy from our adoption journeys are truly infectious! Have a fantastic weekend ahead and enjoy the sunny weather!

Wishing you many precious moments with your little one. Enjoy the journey ahead!
There truly is nothing quite like it, isn't there? The excitement never wears off, and each day presents a lovely surprise. Thank you so much for your kind wishes - may you have a fantastic week filled with joy!

Aww... that's so nice of you! Thank you very much for the wonderful wishes and for sharing this excitement with me :D I look forward to all the precious memories I can make with my two little ones. It's a thrilling adventure to embark on and an incredible blessing! The joy and appreciation never wane when it comes to parenthood. Have a fantastic weekend!

The happiness and joy from our adoption journeys are truly infectious! Have a fantastic weekend ahead and enjoy the sunny weather!
Thank you so much, have a great weekend too! It's been rainy in recent days, so it'll be nice to soak up some sunshine. Enjoy the little things this weekend 😊.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu