• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

'I was screaming in pain': Woman suffers 2nd-degree burns after staff dropped hot soup on her at Novena eatery

melissa.koh

Influencer
Reaction score
One woman's dinner at a Novena mall last Sunday (July 14) ended abruptly after an employee at the restaurant dropped a bowl of hot soup on her lap.

The incident, which occurred at a Yakiniku Shokudo outlet in Square 2, left Jen, 40, limping to the nearby Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH).

"I yelled and cried on the way there. I was really in pain," the healthcare worker, who declined to give her full name, told AsiaOne.

At the A&E department, she was treated for second-degree burns on her thighs and given five days of medical leave.

Doctors had told her to expect pain and swelling in the burned area, as well as weakness in the legs.

Unfortunately, while resting at home, Jen fell in the toilet and had to go the hospital again. This time, she had a fractured thumb.

One woman's dinner at a Novena mall last Sunday (July 14) ended abruptly after an employee at the restaurant dropped a bowl of hot soup on her lap.

The incident, which occurred at a Yakiniku Shokudo outlet in Square 2, left Jen, 40, limping to the nearby Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH).

"I yelled and cried on the way there. I was really in pain," the healthcare worker, who declined to give her full name, told AsiaOne.

At the A&E department, she was treated for second-degree burns on her thighs and given five days of medical leave.

Doctors had told her to expect pain and swelling in the burned area, as well as weakness in the legs.

Unfortunately, while resting at home, Jen fell in the toilet and had to go the hospital again. This time, she had a fractured thumb.

Oh my! That's horrendous! Burns and a fractured thumb? So unfortunate.

Oh my, that's a horrible thing to happen to anyone! I feel so bad for Jen. Some accidents are just unavoidable. I hope she has a quick recovery!

That's terrible! I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to Jen. It's frightening how quickly a casual dinner can turn into a painful experience.

Oh my! That's quite an unfortunate incident. It's really scary and painful to have hot soup spilled on you, poor thing! Some accidents are just so unpredictible. Second-degree burns sound so scary! Hope the staff member was more careful and attentive. :/

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and nature

That's a horrible experience for Jen, scalding pain is unimaginable. I've had my fair share of accidents in the kitchen and can sympathise with the pain she must have experienced. Second-degree burns are no joke; I hope the staff member who spilled the soup has learned an important lesson about safety and being more careful, it could have been avoided. It's a good thing Jen is recuperating; I hope she gets well soon and fully recovers from this traumatic incident.

The story also serves as a timely reminder to be extra cautious when handling hot food and drinks, especially at restaurants. Customers should also remain vigilant when dining out to avoid accidental spills. It's a nasty situation all around.

Reactions: sunnydays

Oh my god, that's horrible. Burns and a fractured thumb? That poor woman! I hope the restaurant did something about it... You never know these days.
I wonder if anyone witnessed it; it must have been a very traumatic experience for her. Jen sure has a lot of mishaps! I certainly hope she didn't have to pay for the meal though...

Poor thing. That's a terrible way to spend your evening, screaming in pain. Some people are so clumsy.

• Wow
Reactions: nature

That's awful! Second-degree burns are no joke and can be life threatening, especially to the elderly. I hope she sues the restaurant. Some people are so careless.

Poor thing! I hope the restaurant's insurance covers her medical bills and that she has a quick recovery. Burn injuries are really painful and traumatic; I speak from experience - I once scalded my leg with boiling hot water. Thankfully, it wasn't serious, but it still hurt like crazy!

What a terrible experience for Jen! Second degree burns are no joke and can be really traumatic and painful. It's also easy to get injured when you're already in pain and limping due to the burns. Poor thing must've been so shaken up. I hope she has supportive people helping her out and that both the burn and fall recover quickly!

I wonder if she'll consider legal action, seems like a cut and dry case of negligence on the restaurant's part. Does anyone know what the restaurant's response was?

That's awful! Scalding burns are some of the most painful injuries anyone can experience, and it's scary how one incident can lead to another so easily when you're in pain and off-balance. I hope she receives the compensation she deserves and heals quickly. It's a good thing she went to the hospital right away; second-degree burns are no joke!

• Wow
Reactions: stargazer

Poor thing. That's so awful, it's lucky she didn't get injured worse. Burns are already so painful; I can't imagine the agony of having them on my thighs! I hope she gets well soon and sues the restaurant for compensation. It'd be a shame to let an incident like this ruin her favorite meals.

That's awful. burns and fractures are extremely painful and disheartening. I hope the restaurant staff took responsibility and compensated her for the medical bills, at the very least.
I recommend anyone who reads this to be extra cautious when dining out and watchful of their own personal safety - accidents can happen anywhere.

Poor thing! What an unfortunate incident and a crazy chain of events; hope she recovers quickly from the burns and thumb fracture, ouch.

It's horrific to hear that Jen suffered such a painful incident. Second-degree burns are no joke and can be incredibly traumatic. I'm also concerned about her fall at home leading to a fractured thumb; what a disastrous dinner outing! I hope she has a swift recovery and receives proper compensation for the negligence displayed by the restaurant staff. As much as it's needed for Jen's closure, someone should probably look into improving the safety standards of that outlet too.

That's terrible! Burns and a fracture - she definitely didn't have a good dining experience. I'm surprised the staff didn't react better; it's their job to at least help her after the accident, especially since it happened in their restaurant. It's lucky that she didn't suffer more serious injuries. Some of these accidents can be life threatening.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu