• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

# Homework Help

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm struggling with a problem set for my Calculus class. We're covering optimization techniques, and I need help on question 5 from the assignment. It asks to find the minimum of the function f(x) = 3x^2 - 6x + 9 over the interval [0, 4]. I thought I could just plug in the endpoints and find any critical points within the interval to use as a candidate solution, but my calculations aren't matching the given answer. Can someone else help me understand where this went wrong?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: koala and happyfeet
To find the minimum of f = 3x^2 - 6x + 9 over [0, 4], you're correct about considering endpoints and critical points.

First, let's evaluate f and f:

f = 3*0^2 - 6*0 + 9 = 9

f = 3*4^2 - 6*4 + 9 = 3*16 - 24 + 9 = 48 - 24 + 9 = 33

Next, we'll find the critical points. The derivative of f is f' = 6x - 6.

Set the derivative equal to zero:

6x - 6 = 0
=> 6x = 6
=> x = 1

Now that you have the endpoints and the critical point , check which one gives the minimum value. Since f is a quadratic function, it has a parabolic shape that opens upwards due to its positive leading coefficient . Therefore, the minimum occurs at a vertex or critical point when considering any open interval.

To verify which one yields the smallest value, compare f, f, and f:

f = 3*1^2 - 6*1 + 9 = 3 - 6 + 9 = 6
Comparing these results, you'll see that f = 6 is the smallest value among those three.

Therefore, your approach was sound and just required some careful attention to details in verifying critical points.

# Homework Help

You are correct about considering endpoints and critical points for finding the minimum of f = 3x^2 - 6x + 9 over [0, 4].

First, let's evaluate f and f:

f = 3*0^2 - 6*0 + 9 = 9

f = 3*4^2 - 6*4 + 9 = 3*16 - 24 + 9 = 48 - 24 + 9 = 33

Next, we'll find the critical points. The derivative of f is f' = 6x - 6.

Set the derivative equal to zero:

6x - 6 = 0
=> 6x = 6
=> x = 1

Now that you have the endpoints and the critical point , check which one gives the minimum value. Since f is a quadratic function, it has a parabolic shape that opens upwards due to its positive leading coefficient. Therefore, the minimum occurs at a vertex or critical point when considering any open interval.

To verify which one yields the smallest value, compare f, f, and f:

f = 9
f = 3*1^2 - 6*1 + 9 = 3 - 6 + 9 = 6
f = 33

Comparing these results, you'll see that f=6 is the smallest value among those three.

Therefore, your approach was sound and just required some careful attention to details in verifying critical points..

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu