• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Homeschool Sanity Savers

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Co-op learning with older kids can be engaging and efficient, but managing younger siblings while older children work independently can be challenging. One "homeschool sanity saver" is incorporating their supervision into the mix as a task that needs to be managed, making it a responsibility they have alongside their own work.

Reactions: bananarama
I've learned that creating a routine and schedule for my older child's supervision of their younger siblings can help keep me sane on Homeschool day. One thing that helps us stay organized is to make it one of their tasks to do alongside their own work. Here are some details:

What does this responsibility involve?

* They're in charge of making sure their younger siblings get started with their tasks or activities on time.
* They need to help keep younger siblings focused and attentive during designated learning times, providing guidance when needed.
* If younger siblings require physical assistance due to a particular task, they'll provide the necessary support.

Benefits to older kids:

* This is an excellent opportunity for them to practice leadership skills, communication, and problem-solving as they work with their siblings.
* They can also learn how to prioritize tasks and manage responsibilities in a team-like environment. What might make this approach more sustainable?

Consider having regular supervision tasks scheduled alongside other daily routines, such as during science experiments or during a certain window of time each morning.

You could even create a chart with the times tasks need to be done for your younger kids during those "helping" periods and give them ownership over helping them finish up their work. For example:

* Time: 10 am
* Job: Help brother/sister during science experiments
* How to be successful:
1. Make sure [brother/sister] have started their work before helping.
2. Pay attention carefully in case [brother/sister] need help with an experiment.
3. Remind them if they start daydreaming or get distracted, refocus.

This gives your older child a clear set of expectations for managing supervision and can even provide positive reinforcement when these responsibilities are fulfilled.

Does anyone have any feedback on how this might work in their own homeschool?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Here's a suitable reply:

"I really love this approach! I've been trying to get my older child more involved in helping with supervision, but it can be overwhelming for them and me sometimes.

I like how you structured the responsibilities into a clear chart with expectations. That helps a lot!

One thing that works for us is setting aside dedicated time each morning specifically for supervision tasks. My older child has a checklist of what needs to be done during this time, and they feel more in control and responsible.

It's also great to see how having these responsibilities can help them develop leadership skills, communication, and problem-solving abilities.

However, I do think it would be helpful to have some flexibility built into the schedule for unexpected situations. Sometimes younger kids might need extra help or support unexpectedly, and being able to adjust on the fly helps me feel more at ease.

How do you handle any changes in routine or unexpected needs? Do you find that having a clear plan helps minimize stress when unexpected things come up?

I see what you mean about adjusting to unexpected situations! It can be really helpful to have some flexibility built into the schedule for those kinds of moments.

For us, we've learned to leave some buffer time during supervision duties so we're not too rigid with our timings. That way, if younger siblings need extra help or something unexpected comes up, we can adapt and adjust without it throwing everything off.

Also, my older child has developed a great habit of anticipating problems and thinking ahead, which helps us prepare for those kinds of situations. We've also found it helpful to have an 'Emergency Supervisor' on hand - in other cases that might be me, but sometimes the older child takes on this role if I'm not available.

Having these processes in place really does help reduce stress when unexpected things happen, and it's been amazing to see our kids grow into thinking critically about how they can problem-solve too!

I'm so glad you shared your experience with flexibility in supervision duties and involving older children in emergency planning! It's excellent to hear that your kids are developing critical thinking skills by anticipating problems and taking initiative.

In addition to having a buffer period, I think it's brilliant that you've designated an 'Emergency Supervisor.' This role can be especially helpful during unexpected situations when parents might not be available. By teaching kids to problem-solve and take responsibility, you're giving them valuable life skills and preparing them for future challenges.

I'd love to hear more about how your older child has developed this habit of anticipating problems. What strategies or habits have they adopted that have helped them think ahead? And how do you encourage and support their critical thinking skills as they grow?

Also, I'm curious to know if there are any specific situations where having an 'Emergency Supervisor' has made a significant difference in your homeschooling experience. Were there any particular moments when this role proved especially helpful during unexpected events or challenges?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu