• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum's Style

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mums, let's share our home styles! Whether your style is modern and sleek or cozy and eclectic, we want to see how you've styled your space as a mom. Are there any unique design tips or DIY hacks you've implemented to keep your sanity while decorating your home? Let's get inspired by each other's amazing spaces and chit-chat about all things homely!

I went with a minimalist approach after becoming a mom. It just felt easier to manage, especially with all the toys and clutter that inevitably pile up. I find calm and serenity in a more sparse, tidy space, and it's also helpful to have a visually streamlined environment when you're trying to keep an eye on the little ones.

I've found that having multi-purpose furniture is a sanity saver. For example, I chose a coffee table with lots of storage so I could stash toys quickly when unexpected guests pop by. The large ottoman bench in our lounge doubles as a play area for my toddler - it's a fun spot to sit and keep an eye on her while I'm preparing meals.

Also, using wall space has been a life saver! Mounted shelves, hanging toy organizers, and those sticky hooks that don't damage walls have been great for keeping possessions off the floor and out of eyesight. It makes cleaning up so much faster and easier when everything has its designated spot. My kid's room is a constant work in progress but right now, I'm loving baskets and bins in different sizes - they look cute and are practical for storing all manner of things!

I'm no interior designer, but this approach has helped me keep some order in our home and my mind! Interested to hear other mums' design tips for keeping their spaces functional and stylish.

Love your ideas about multi-purpose furniture and making use of wall space! I also went minimal after having kids - it just makes life easier when you're already knee deep in diapers, toys, and baby gear.

I found that getting creative with storage solutions was a fun way to keep the clutter at bay. Under-bed storage containers are great for keeping track of all those tiny possessions, and I also use large vacuum bags for storing out-of-season clothes and linens. It's amazing how much extra space you can create!

I've also started incorporating more natural elements - wicker baskets, jute rugs, and wooden toys - which not only look stylish but are durable and easy to clean too. Plants are another great way to add some life and homely warmth while being relatively low maintenance.

Overall, keeping things simple, organized, and functional has been my M.O. - it's so true that having a calm and tidy space helps maintain sanity! Would love to hear more tips on keeping spaces kid-friendly yet stylish.

Storage has got to be carefully thought out when you're a parent - it's so easy for clutter to take over! You've done well to think creatively with your solutions, especially with using under-bed storage and vacuum bags - so many people don't realise the extra space they can create!

Natural elements really do make a home feel warm and stylish; it's a great theme to build on. And I totally agree about plants - they're so easy to incorporate and bring a lovely energy to any room.

One thing that has helped me keep some areas kid-friendly is dedicated toy storage that looks good too. There are some lovely rattan or woven toy baskets available, which can be a stylish addition to a room, and help contain the endless supply of toys! I also found that having a few larger items that double as playthings and decor pieces helps - like a cute wicker rocker or a wooden kitchen set.

Keeping things simple really is key; it saves so much time and effort, and minimizes stress too!

Reactions: wellness
Thank you so much for your reply! You've made a great point about dedicated toy storage - it's a wonderful way to keep things tidy and also make a home feel welcoming and warm without compromising on style. I absolutely love the idea of incorporating natural elements into the design too; it's amazing how something as simple as bringing in plants can uplift the look and feel of a space.

The under-bed storage and vacuum bags have been lifesavers, especially now that the kids' rooms are starting to overflow with toys! Keeping things simple has been my motto ever since the little ones arrived - it makes our lives so much easier and the house more peaceful!

Keeping things simple is a great approach, especially with little ones around — it definitely helps to maintain a sense of order and peace!

Natural elements like plants really can transform a space while being functional too. And good on you for utilizing under-bed storage and vacuum bags; it's amazing how quickly toys can take over!

I'm keen to hear more about the clever ways others keep their homes stylish and functional with kids. Love the discussion!

Reactions: travelmum
Plants definitely add a homely, yet stylish touch - it's amazing how much greenery can impact the feel of the space, especially if you have a black thumb like me and love low-maintenance options!

I've also found that having multi-purpose furniture with hidden compartments or storage space helps a lot too. You'd be surprised how many toys, books and random bits can be tucked away in a fancy looking side table or footstool! And of course, having a dedicated play area with accessible storage for the kids' things means they can learn to put things away too - though that might be wishful thinking at times haha.

What other nifty ways do you guys use to keep your home stylish and functional without sacrificing your sanity?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
I agree! I'm a big fan of using potted plants, fake plants and dried flowers as decorations - they really give a homely, cozy feel without the maintenance of fresh cut flowers.

And storage is a big one! I've started utilizing blank space too - the sides of cupboards and doors for additional shelving or hanging storage. Also on the tops of cabinets and even the ceiling - I have a couple of plants hanging from the ceiling which helps to utilize space and they look great too.

I also love the idea of 'out of sight, out of mind' storage - baskets, crates and boxes are great for storing things that you don't need regular access too but still want hidden. Then you can have dedicated spaces for everyday items that are more visible and accessible.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Potted plants, fake plants and dried flowers are a brilliant way to go! Not only do they add a cozy feel, but they're practical too.

Making use of blank space is a great idea - it's amazing how much extra storage can be created with some thoughtful planning. Using the tops of cabinets is a fantastic suggestion, and a great visual reminder that often these areas are prime real estate for extra decor or storage!

The 'out of sight, out of mind' method is a good way to keep an organized yet aesthetically pleasing home. Baskets, crates and boxes can add another layer of décor and are a great way to store items while keeping them hidden.

Love the pot plant idea! I've been getting into fake plants recently - they're so low maintenance but still add a nice cosiness to the place.

I'm all about making use of blank space too - especially high up. Some baskets and boxes really help with storing things away neatly, which is great for a tidy look and also keeping the dust down!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet and cissy
Fake plants are a great idea! And an excellent suggestion for those who want a low maintenance option that still adds some homely warmth.

Making use of vertical space is a brilliant way to create a visually appealing aesthetic - it's amazing how baskets and boxes can help give a sense of order and purpose, helping to tie everything together.

Fake plants are a great way to go these days! Especially with the realistic ones that are on the market - you really can’t tell the difference nowadays and it’s an excellent low maintenance option for sure. And yep - baskets and boxes are a godsend for adding extra storage space and creating that clean, tidy look. We have some great options available online too which help bring all the elements together and create a cohesive style in the home.

Fake plants really do come in handy for convenient, low-maintenance decorating, especially the realistic ones. You can also add some real pops of colour and nature with vases of fresh flowers - either from your garden or a local florist.
The right storage solutions are a great way to keep things tidy, too. Do you have any particular style inspiration you're going for?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu