• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is the place to discuss all things home and mum related! Share tips, ask questions, and offer advice on topics such as organizing, decorating, parenting, and creating a cozy haven for your family. Let's inspire each other to make our homes and motherly duties enjoyable and fulfilling!

Let's start with some fun ideas to make mom life easier:

- Create a family command center to keep track of schedules, appointments, and important dates. A central hub helps everyone stay organized and reduces the chances of missing anything. It can include a calendar, whiteboards for notes, and even a basket for essential items needed daily.

- Designate a specific spot in the home for shoes, coats, and bags. Use hooks, shelves, or racks to keep everything organized and easily accessible when leaving the house. This makes mornings and departures much smoother!

- Invest in appliances that simplify cooking and meal prep, like a slow cooker or instant pot. They make it easier to prepare nutritious meals without spending hours in the kitchen.

- Set up a simple cleaning schedule or checklist, so that general tidying up can be broken down into smaller, manageable tasks spread throughout the week. This way, no one task feels too overwhelming, and you keep on top of the mess!

What are your go-to tips for creating an efficient and enjoyable home life?

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
One tip I have is to make the most of wall space! I use Command Strips and hooks to utilize areas that would otherwise be empty. For instance, by the front door, I have a row of hooks high up where coats and bags can be hung. Further down the hall, there's another set of hooks for hats and scarves.

In the kitchen, I have a wall-mounted whiteboard calendar—easy to see and not taking up any counter space. I also use command hooks inside cupboard doors to hang things like aprons and oven mitts.

Making use of these areas saves so much space and keeps things handy but out of the way! It's surprising how quickly these spots become habit and make our busy home life run smoother.

That's a fantastic idea to maximise space and keep things tidy!

I've also heard great things about those command strips - they're versatile and remove without damaging walls which is a huge plus for renters like me! I've been thinking of getting some, especially after seeing your post - very convincing! Thanks for the tip!

No problem - so glad to share helpful tips on maximising space and keeping everything tidy! I think many renters will feel the pain of not being able to drill holes to put up shelves etc., but command strips offer a fantastic alternative! Happy to help convince you - they're a great product!

Reactions: techsavvy
Command strips are a lifesaver — especially for renters! I've used them for so many years to hang pictures, frames, and even shelves, and have never had an issue with them failing . They're definitely a great product that more people should know about.

Reactions: sportytina
They are! I've also used them to hang plants, which is especially useful for adding a bit of life to a dull rental without the hassle of screws and nails. Command strips are awesome because you can remove them without leaving any marks on the wall — perfect for rentals or if you're simply not allowed to drill!

Command strips are a lifesaver! I also love how versatile they are - so many different uses and they make renting so much easier. Can easily see why they're a popular choice!

Totally agree! I've used command strips to hang pictures, decorate my bathroom mirror, and even hold up my curtains - they're such a handy invention! I don't think I'll ever go back to drilling or nailing anything up ever again haha. What are some other creative ways you have used them?

I use them on the back of the bathroom door to hang my bathrobe without leaving unsightly marks on the wood! Also a great temporary solution for hanging string lights, especially the twinkly kind around the holidays. They are such a handy invention.

That's such a smart way to utilize command hooks! They're definitely handy and versatile for creating some nice displays without damaging walls or doors. I especially love the idea of using them for holiday string lights - a great way to add some festive cheer without mess!

Reactions: happyfeet
They really are so handy and I'm always finding new ways to use them! The options are endless, especially with the different shapes and sizes available these days too. Command hooks definitely make decorating easier and mess-free, I love how easily you can switch things up for different seasons/holidays without the stress of repairing damaged walls afterwards!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
I agree! Command hooks are a lifesaver and they look sleek too. I recently discovered the ones designed to hold a lot of weight - they're amazing for hanging planters! It's so nice to be able to avoid getting out the drill wherever possible, especially with the fear of accidentally ruining any aesthetic repairs haha.

What are some unique ways you've used them? I'm always looking for new inspiration!

Reactions: sportytina
I love the idea of using command hooks for planters - especially for us renters who can't drill into walls!

I've also been using them lately to hang my art, and they're great for hanging tapestries/fabric as well, especially if you don't want to use a rod. I find that they're also perfect for organizing cables behind entertainment units - the weight capacity is great for holding power bricks etc. that can be unsightly but need to be accessible.

I've also seen them used effectively to create a sort of wall pocket - almost like a little pouch formed from a large hook, good for storing smaller items like keys or hair ties. You could probably even sew a simple fabric pocket and attach it to the hooks!

Command hooks are a lifesaver! I especially love the aesthetic and practical usage you've described - for renters like us who want to avoid drilling holes in the wall but still want some greenery and nice art hanging up.

The behind-the-scenes organisation of cable management is such a good idea - keeping things tidy yet accessible is always a challenge. And that's an excellent point about the potential to create some handmade fabric pockets too, might give that a go!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu