• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum Hacks

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mums - especially those who stay at home - seem to have an ability to juggle so many tasks throughout the day, making parenting look easy. What are your go-to Mum Hacks that help you keep everything running smoothly?

Here's a few of my own:

1) Keep an 'Essentials Basket' in the lounge room/living area - filled with all the random things you need often, but don't want to keep trekking back and forth to the kitchen/laundry for. Think remote controls, lip balm, mobile phone, small toys/books for toddlers etc..

2) Keep a 'Shit List' on the fridge. Each family member writes down what they need others to do/remember on there - e.g., Mum needs help hanging up the washing, Dad needs the trash taken out etc.. Try and have everything done before bed time and it makes for a peaceful night.

3) Use inexpensive shower curtain liners (the clear kind) across high traffic areas like between the kitchen and dining room or near doors leading outside. They're easy to wipe down, look semi-decent and save your floors!

4) Buy generic/value brand products where you can - from toilet paper to cereal, nappies etc.. The savings really do add up, and often the quality is just as good!

5) And finally, my ultimate Mum Hack is having a 'Dump Dinner' repertoire. Come 5pm when everyone's hangry and you're exhausted, you need something quick and easy. These are meals that require little prep, or are slow cooked, so you can just 'dump' ingredients in. A few faves: Veggie Chili, Chicken Casserole & Pulled Pork in the crockpot.

Reactions: mamamia and joyful
Mums - especially those who stay at home - seem to have an ability to juggle so many tasks throughout the day, making parenting look easy. What are your go-to Mum Hacks that help you keep everything running smoothly?

Here's a few of my own:

1) Keep an 'Essentials Basket' in the lounge room/living area - filled with all the random things you need often, but don't want to keep trekking back and forth to the kitchen/laundry for. Think remote controls, lip balm, mobile phone, small toys/books for toddlers etc..

2) Keep a 'Shit List' on the fridge. Each family member writes down what they need others to do/remember on there - e.g., Mum needs help hanging up the washing, Dad needs the trash taken out etc.. Try and have everything done before bed time and it makes for a peaceful night.

3) Use inexpensive shower curtain liners (the clear kind) across high traffic areas like between the kitchen and dining room or near doors leading outside. They're easy to wipe down, look semi-decent and save your floors!

4) Buy generic/value brand products where you can - from toilet paper to cereal, nappies etc.. The savings really do add up, and often the quality is just as good!

5) And finally, my ultimate Mum Hack is having a 'Dump Dinner' repertoire. Come 5pm when everyone's hangry and you're exhausted, you need something quick and easy. These are meals that require little prep, or are slow cooked, so you can just 'dump' ingredients in. A few faves: Veggie Chili, Chicken Casserole & Pulled Pork in the crockpot.
My toddler is my chief helper, and we have a little system going! He's in charge of keeping the shoes organized. Whenever anyone in the household steps out, he ensures the shoes are lined up neatly by the door. It's his mini chore, and it helps me keep track of everyone's footwear.

I also schedule all bill payments and appointments on Sunday evenings. That way, I don't have random things popping up throughout the week. I use the Notes app on my phone for this. It helps me focus on work during the day and ensures I'm not forgetting any essential tasks.

What else? Oh yes, I designate specific colors for each family member's outfits and items. For example, my son's favorite color is blue, so most of his clothes and belongings have a blue accent. This helps us quickly identify our stuff, especially when we're running out the door! It's easier than labeling everything, which can be time-consuming.

I love your idea of a 'Shit List' - might have to adopt that one! Any other mums out there with their go-to hacks?

My toddler is my chief helper, and we have a little system going! He's in charge of keeping the shoes organized. Whenever anyone in the household steps out, he ensures the shoes are lined up neatly by the door. It's his mini chore, and it helps me keep track of everyone's footwear.

I also schedule all bill payments and appointments on Sunday evenings. That way, I don't have random things popping up throughout the week. I use the Notes app on my phone for this. It helps me focus on work during the day and ensures I'm not forgetting any essential tasks.

What else? Oh yes, I designate specific colors for each family member's outfits and items. For example, my son's favorite color is blue, so most of his clothes and belongings have a blue accent. This helps us quickly identify our stuff, especially when we're running out the door! It's easier than labeling everything, which can be time-consuming.

I love your idea of a 'Shit List' - might have to adopt that one! Any other mums out there with their go-to hacks?
Having a helping hand from your little one is so sweet! Teach them young, and it seems like you're doing a great job organizing all the shoes. Having designated colors for personal items is a brilliant idea too; it makes life so much easier when you're in a rush.

Here's a few more of my go-to hacks that help keep the household running smoothly:

- Command Hooks are a lifesaver! I attach these to the sides of cabinets, the backs of doors, and even on walls in plain sight. They're great for hanging anything and everything, from coats to bags and children's art pieces. They're easy to install and don't leave behind any ugly marks when removed.

- Keep a 'Lost and Found' box. Any missing socks, hair clips, or tiny toys that have no designated place go into this box. When it's full, you know it's time to sort through and reunite the matched pairs with their owners. It helps to keep random clutter from piling up.

- Meal prep! I commit a couple of hours on weekends to prepare freezer-friendly meals for my family. It saves so much time and effort during the weeknight dinner rush. Some favorites are lasagna, moussaka, and anything that can be baked in large batches. It's also a great way to save money and avoid ordering takeaway when we're too tired to cook.

- Speaking of leftovers, I make sure to portion them out immediately after dinners. That way, we have quick lunches ready to go the next day and no food goes to waste.

- Keep an emergency stash of snacks in your handbag or car for those unexpected meltdowns. You never know when a hungry toddler might need an immediate energy boost! I keep a few treats hidden too - great for bribery when needed. ;-)

Hope these tips help other mums out there! They say necessity is the mother of all inventions, and that's certainly true with these hacks!

Those are some great additional tips!

The command hooks are a brilliant idea - so versatile and handy, plus they're a visual reminder to keep things tidy.

And I totally agree about meal prep; it's a lifesaver on those busy weeknights, and it's fun to make big batches of food. Freezer meals have become a staple for me too - curries, chillies, and stews are my go-tos.

The lost and found box is also a great idea for all the random bits that never seem to find their way back. Might have to implement that one ASAP! And I'm going to start portioning out leftovers straight away too - it'll definitely make my life easier, and cut down on waste.

The emergency snack stash is a clever one as well - might be time for me to restock my car for those toddler tantrum moments!

It's amazing how versatile command hooks are - and they come in so many designs now, there's one to suit every decor taste!

Meal prep is a fun, satisfying activity that also saves money and cuts down on waste. I love making big batches of soup and curries too; it's so nice to have several meals ready to go in the freezer.

The lost and found box is a simple concept but so effective - and it's fascinating to see what items actually get claimed!

The emergency snack stash has saved me on many occasions, especially when the kids were toddlers. A hungry toddler is not one you want to be stuck with! Haha. Restocking those snacks is a brilliant idea; you'll have to let us know your go-to's.

• Love
Reactions: nature
I love the versatility of command hooks too - so many uses! I didn't know they had so many designs though, that's great to hear.

I'm a big fan of meal prep too, especially for soups and curries - so much convenience and money saved!

The lost and found box is a genius idea It's surprising how many people don't label their kids' belongings though - it's such a simple yet effective solution!

The emergency snack stash is a life saver, literally haha. I usually stock up on fruits, granola bars, little bags of nuts, and juice boxes for the kids. Restocking is a chore but worth it when you need them!

I agree--command hooks are so versatile! The variety of designs ensures there's something to suit every decor style too.

Meal prep is a fantastic way to save time and money--your curry and soup idea is a great one!

I've found the lost and found box works well, especially with a simple system for marking belongings put in place. It's amazing how quickly it grows!

The emergency snack stash is definitely a necessity, and I like to include a few treats too, as a little moral booster, especially for the kids. A good stock of snacks can be a real life saver, though it doesn't last long in our house! Restocking is a chore, but an essential one.

Command hooks are a must-have - so many uses around the house and as you say, they look good too.

The lost and found box with a simple marking system is a great tip - it's amazing how quickly it fills up! And yes to the emergency snack stash, I'm all for including some treats too, something to keep the kids (and adults!) happy - especially on those extra hungry days!

Command hooks are a must-have - so many uses around the house and as you say, they look good too.

The lost and found box with a simple marking system is a great tip - it's amazing how quickly it fills up! And yes to the emergency snack stash, I'm all for including some treats too, something to keep the kids (and adults!) happy - especially on those extra hungry days!
the little conveniences make a big difference! It's amazing how efficiently these hacks streamline our lives.

Do you have any go-to home or mum hacks that make your world easier?

I rely on my slow cooker - it's a real time-saver! Being able to prep ingredients in advance and then just leaving it to cook slowly throughout the day is such a help as a busy mum. Also, doing most of my shopping online has been a game-changer! I batch cook and freeze individual portions so that there's always something quick and healthy for dinners.

I rely on my slow cooker - it's a real time-saver! Being able to prep ingredients in advance and then just leaving it to cook slowly throughout the day is such a help as a busy mum. Also, doing most of my shopping online has been a game-changer! I batch cook and freeze individual portions so that there's always something quick and healthy for dinners.
I love the convenience of modern technologies too - online shopping is a real saver when you're short on time! Freezing individual portions is a great idea to ensure variety too. Slow cookers are awesome - such a set-and-forget meal solution, perfect for busy mums!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
I love the convenience of modern technologies too - online shopping is a real saver when you're short on time! Freezing individual portions is a great idea to ensure variety too. Slow cookers are awesome - such a set-and-forget meal solution, perfect for busy mums!
Other than that, I rely on my planner and calendar apps to keep track of appointments and milestones. As the kids grow, there are so many extra curricula activities and playdates to keep track of! It's also nice to have a physical notebook for menu planning though - there's something satisfying about crossing out completed tasks.
Do you use any apps for meal planning or recipe inspiration?

I use Mealime! You can plan your meals, create a shopping list and they have loads of recipes you can search through too - it's really helped cut down on food waste in our house! It also has an option to help you discover new recipes based on dietary preferences - like if you want something vegan, low carb or kid friendly etc. You can also save favourite meals so you don't need to search every week and the app will suggest them to you as options!

Reactions: musical
I use Mealime! You can plan your meals, create a shopping list and they have loads of recipes you can search through too - it's really helped cut down on food waste in our house! It also has an option to help you discover new recipes based on dietary preferences - like if you want something vegan, low carb or kid friendly etc. You can also save favourite meals so you don't need to search every week and the app will suggest them to you as options!
That sounds like a fantastic app with loads of handy features! I love the idea of discovering new recipes based on dietary preferences - so helpful for keeping things interesting. It's great how these apps can help us cut down on waste too, such a useful function! May I ask if it syncs your shopping list to your online grocery store by any chance? That would be amazing.

That sounds like a fantastic app with loads of handy features! I love the idea of discovering new recipes based on dietary preferences - so helpful for keeping things interesting. It's great how these apps can help us cut down on waste too, such a useful function! May I ask if it syncs your shopping list to your online grocery store by any chance? That would be amazing.
No unfortunately, it does not sync with online stores here in Singapore - that would be a amazing feature though! It just generates a basic shopping list which you can work through before you head to the supermarket or do your online shop. It's still really handy because it cuts down on so much time menu planning and thinking about ingredients. You can also share lists too which is great if you're cooking for a friend's meal or potluck.

No unfortunately, it does not sync with online stores here in Singapore - that would be a amazing feature though! It just generates a basic shopping list which you can work through before you head to the supermarket or do your online shop. It's still really handy because it cuts down on so much time menu planning and thinking about ingredients. You can also share lists too which is great if you're cooking for a friend's meal or potluck.
That's a bummer that it doesn't sync with stores here, seems like a simple yet powerful feature the app developers could add! Shared lists are helpful for collective grocery runs or special events. Thanks for the insights!

Yes - it's such an obvious feature, I'm surprised it hasn't been implemented yet! The shared list would be so helpful for planning and ensuring nothing is missed when shopping or preparing for a dinner party, etc.

It's bizarre how something so useful has been overlooked. Would make meal-planning and the dreaded grocery shop much easier!
Perhaps the feature may have been explored but not executed well enough to integrate into the app's user experience. It's definitely a tricky thing to implement since online shopping varies so widely across regions and retailers. But yes, it'd be a fantastic addition to have!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
It is tricky because of the vast differences in grocery/household shopping globally - even within a single country sometimes! The app would have to somehow adopt and adapt to each situation, which is challenging. Perhaps if it was a customizable feature where users could input their preferred stores or at least shopping style (e.g., online vs. in-person), it'd work better?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu