• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Mum Hacks - Timesaving Tips Wanted

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm super excited to start this thread all about those clever tips and tricks we use around the home - especially for us mums who seem to have a never-ending list of things to do!

I'll kick things off with a couple of my go-to hacks that make life easier:

1. Use reusable silicone bags for storing food. They're eco-friendly, easily washable, and great for keeping snacks fresh. No more wasteful plastic bags!

2. Create a 'Lost and Found' bin! Keep a designated bin in a central location where family members can drop off any mislaid items. Saves you from constantly searching for that missing sock!

Now over to you guys - what are your favourite hacks to make home life run smoother? Any clever mum tips to share? Let's fill this thread with some awesome ideas!

Some great tips already! Here's a couple more:

- Keep a well-stocked 'pantry' or basket of snacks somewhere accessible for kids - saves the endless requests for snacks and allows them to help themselves!

- Assign a specific colour to each family member and buy their socks, underwear and even clothing in that shade. No more arguments over whose socks belong to whom!

Love the lost and found bin idea - so simple yet effective :)

Those are some great additions!

The snack basket is a life saver, especially for hungry little ones who seem to always be snacking! And the coloured-coded clothing idea is brilliant - might save many an argument in our house!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Those are some great additions!

The snack basket is a life saver, especially for hungry little ones who seem to always be snacking! And the coloured-coded clothing idea is brilliant - might save many an argument in our house!
Yup, these hacks really help make things run smoother and teach young kids some independence and personal responsibility too.

So true! Nothing like killing two birds with one stone. It's a win-win situation when kids learn essential life skills and become more independent, while you also streamline your workload at home. Would love to hear specific examples of how others have achieved this!

Teaching them young is key! My 9-year old now makes his own lunches for school, saves me a job each morning and also means he has an opportunity to learn about healthy eating and food prep. Also on the weekends, I got the kids involved in changing bed sheets and making their beds - saves me time and they feel so proud of themselves for helping out!

That's fantastic! It's a great idea to get them involved at a young age, and it teaches them important life skills too. I'm sure they're pretty chuffed with their newfound independence as well! Good on you!

That's fantastic! It's a great idea to get them involved at a young age, and it teaches them important life skills too. I'm sure they're pretty chuffed with their newfound independence as well! Good on you!
Yep, my children being self-sufficient is definitely beneficial for everyone haha. Has been a good and satisfying experience so far to slowly let them take ownership of certain everyday tasks. Hopefully it pays off when they're teenagers ahhaha :p

You're right; children usually enjoy feeling more grown up and independent. My two children started helping me fold laundry since they were five and seven. It's a simple and easy task for them to master, and it reduces my workload considerably. Well-fold clothes can also stack and organize themselves away, saving everyone time!

What other chores do you think are suitable for children without harming their interests or grades?

Reactions: sunflower
Yeah, he certainly loves his new responsibilities, especially when it comes to food - he's a real little chef in the making. And it's heartwarming to see them take pride in their accomplishments, however small. Makes all the difference to know they're learning and enjoying those simple achievements.

Yep, my children being self-sufficient is definitely beneficial for everyone haha. Has been a good and satisfying experience so far to slowly let them take ownership of certain everyday tasks. Hopefully it pays off when they're teenagers ahhaha :p
That's the hope! hahaha... At least we can hope they'll be grateful for all the life skills we've managed to instill in them when they're older?! A mum can dream 😆

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Yeah, he certainly loves his new responsibilities, especially when it comes to food - he's a real little chef in the making. And it's heartwarming to see them take pride in their accomplishments, however small. Makes all the difference to know they're learning and enjoying those simple achievements.
Simple chores are best when they're young, you're right. Folding laundry, setting the dinner table, and wiping down surfaces seem to be good ones for little helpers! Keeping it fun and age-appropriate is key; otherwise, it becomes a chore for everyone (no pun intended!).

That's the hope! hahaha... At least we can hope they'll be grateful for all the life skills we've managed to instill in them when they're older?! A mum can dream 😆
they will surely thank us someday for all the independent skills we have taught them, along with copious amounts of love and care. For now, it's good to dream big!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy and koala
Parenting is a dream, but teaching essential life skills will definitely set our little ones up for success later in life!

Absolutely!! Teaching them young sets such great foundations - it's so true. My mum always had us help out around the house, and growing up, we cooked together often. I think it's such a beautiful bondong experience too, especially for little ones to learn independence and also appreciate everything that goes into running a household.

Reactions: chickadee
That's wonderful! It's amazing how helping out around the house and cooking can create such fond memories and teach valuable life skills. Bonding experiences like these will definitely shape their perspectives on household responsibilities and appreciate the effort that goes into running a home.

I completely agree! It's incredible how these activities create such wonderful memories and also equip them with essential life skills. Teaching them to cook, clean and appreciate the effort that goes into running a smooth household sets them up for their own future homes and also helps develop a sense of appreciation and gratitude.

Involving children in house chores is not only practical, but it's also a great way to spend quality time with them and impart essential life skills! I especially love how it fosters appreciation and gratitude for all the work that goes into keeping a home. Well said!

Involving children in house chores is not only practical, but it's also a great way to spend quality time with them and impart essential life skills! I especially love how it fosters appreciation and gratitude for all the work that goes into keeping a home. Well said!
Thank you! Yeah, there's definitely a lot of benefits to get the little ones involved around the house - and you're right, it's a great way to sneak in some quality time too! Can never start them young enough to appreciate the work that mum does haha.

Yes, one can **** two birds with one stone: catching up on much-needed household chores and spending precious time with the little ones while imparting life skills! There's great value in having the family pitch in to maintain a harmonious and running household. It's a continuous process that reaps long-term benefits.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu