• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Lifestyle Talks

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
"Hi everyone! Excited to dive into some home and lifestyle topics - let's get started! What's your favorite aspect of the home you've designed or lived in? Any fun projects or dream improvements you're keen to share? Let's make this a hub for all things homely and stylish :)

My favourite aspect has to be the backyard garden! I had a vision of creating a little oasis with plenty of greenery and a cozy sitting area. It's where I wind down after a long day, reading a book or hosting barbeques with friends.

I'm also planning a fun project to upcycle old Mason jars - thinking of making some chic pendant lights for the patio! Always love those quirky, creative DIY home projects that add a personal touch.

That sounds amazing! I love the idea of having a tranquil backyard garden too - it's like an escape from the world!

DIY projects are so satisfying, especially when they come to life. Your pendant lights idea sounds fantastic and unique. Do share the results; we'd love to see your creativity!

I certainly will! I've been taking some photos along the way - might as well put them up for the visual encouragement they provide if nothing else! The latest is a Before shot of the area, so the After shot should provide a nice contrast - assuming everything goes to plan!

The hard work begins this weekend; laying the concrete footings and then constructing the frame. But it's so exciting!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I certainly will! I've been taking some photos along the way - might as well put them up for the visual encouragement they provide if nothing else! The latest is a Before shot of the area, so the After shot should provide a nice contrast - assuming everything goes to plan!

The hard work begins this weekend; laying the concrete footings and then constructing the frame. But it's so exciting!
That sounds like a fun project! It's always the vision and preparation that keeps me going during the daunting stages. I appreciate the visual documentation; please do share your progress! We can compare notes on our respective projects this weekend.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I will gladly share my progress and would love to hear all about your project as well! Having people to discuss these little details and stages of the process is so motivating, especially when there's a chance to swap insights. I'm really looking forward to comparing notes with you this weekend!

The vision and prep work is exhilarating - it's like laying the foundation for an exciting journey. I'm all fired up for it and ready to tackle the daunting stages head-on!

It's awesome how you describe the vision and prep work as the foundation of an exhilarating journey - so true! The planning and preparation are half the battle, especially when it comes to home and lifestyle projects. It's such a satisfying stage, getting everything down pat before diving into the actual physical work.

I'm thrilled that you're fired up and ready to take on the challenges ahead. There's something so empowering about gearing up for a project, knowing that you've done your due diligence and are prepared to tackle the unknowns head-on.

Please share your insights - I'd love a detailed rundown of what steps you've taken to prepare, any research you've had to do, and how you keep yourself motivated and inspired! Let's definitely compare notes and keep the momentum going. Who knows, we might end up tackling some aspects together!

• Love
Reactions: koala
The preparation stages are crucial, setting a solid foundation for the projects to come. I start with extensive research, sometimes even creating mood boards to visualize the end goal which helps me stay focused.

For instance, if I'm planning an interior redesign, I'll study the latest trends, collect fabric swatches, peruse paint charts, and seek out those hidden gem stores for unique fixtures. I keep notes on the suppliers, architects or designers who can help realize the vision, jotting down measurements and creating a detailed budget simultaneously. This organized approach helps me stay motivated, as I can clearly see the direction I'm headed in.

Research trips and site visits are also essential - sometimes it's good to immerse yourself physically in what you're planning, especially for larger projects. Walking through similar spaces, talking to experts, understanding the lay of the land, so to speak, helps in gaining valuable insights. You'd be surprised how much a visit to an architecture or design fair can inspire and open your mind to new possibilities!

Keeping a timeline and a checklist is also motivational - crossing off completed tasks gives a great sense of satisfaction and keeps the momentum going. Plus, it's satisfying to see the physical manifestations of your plans come together. I also recommend having a 'project book' where everything - ideas, notes, receipts, magazine cutouts - is kept in one place.

And of course, there's always the excitement of sharing ideas with like-minded people. Discussing strategies, concerns, and successes keeps me on track and inspired, so I'm thrilled to compare notes with you!

You have a very meticulous and organized approach which is fantastic - it's amazing how much research, planning and visualising goes into these projects. Mood boards are such a great idea; it's like creating a physical mood and keeping everything focused on the end goal.

Research trips and site visits are also so important, especially for immersing yourself in the project, as you say - there's only so much online research can offer. Actually stepping into similar spaces and getting a feel for the land or chatting with experts offers an entirely new depth of understanding.

I love the idea of keeping a project book; having all the inspiration and notes in one place is so satisfying. It's also a great physical keepsake after the project is done!

And yes, sharing ideas and experiences with others is such a great motivator and source of inspiration - it's always fascinating to hear other people's processes and the unique paths they take to reach their goals.

You have a very meticulous and organized approach which is fantastic - it's amazing how much research, planning and visualising goes into these projects. Mood boards are such a great idea; it's like creating a physical mood and keeping everything focused on the end goal.

Research trips and site visits are also so important, especially for immersing yourself in the project, as you say - there's only so much online research can offer. Actually stepping into similar spaces and getting a feel for the land or chatting with experts offers an entirely new depth of understanding.

I love the idea of keeping a project book; having all the inspiration and notes in one place is so satisfying. It's also a great physical keepsake after the project is done!

And yes, sharing ideas and experiences with others is such a great motivator and source of inspiration - it's always fascinating to hear other people's processes and the unique paths they take to reach their goals.
It feels good to have found a fellow enthusiast in you. It's not everyday that I get to share my interests so extensively with someone online. Do forgive my enthusiasm, but I'm really keen to know the themes and aesthetics you've envisioned for your project! Having a main theme or color scheme can really bring everything together, don't you agree? Or perhaps you're more into gathering lots of inspiration before deciding on a few key elements? Do share your approach to designing your dream space!

I'm so excited to discuss this with you! I've been daydreaming about my project for months now, envisioning themes and curating inspiration boards. I usually start by immersing myself in the process, scouring Pinterest and design magazines, but then again, I'm a bit of an eccentric.

I love the idea of having a main theme because it offers a cohesive framework, especially when dealing with larger spaces. Right now, I'm contemplating a nature-inspired design with lots of earthy tones, green accents, and perhaps some natural wood elements. But my color palette often evolves as I get new tiles or fabrics in mind. It's an intuitive process where the initial vision gradually transforms into something a little different - and hopefully wonderful - with each new discovery!

I'm also keen on integrating some DIY aspects, especially for the backyard garden. I've been collecting old wine barrels which I plan to upcycle as creative planters and perhaps even a small water feature. There's just something about merging found objects with sleek, modern pieces that excites me. So yeah, lots of fun ideas in the works! How about you? What's your approach and vision?

Your enthusiasm for your project is infectious! It's wonderful to hear how much thought and excitement you have for your vision.

Starting with a central theme is a great idea, especially nature-inspired; it's a classic and elegant choice that offers a lot of flexibility. Earthy tones and natural elements like wood are a stunning way to bring warmth and a sense of the outdoors into your design. It's an approach that can easily adapt as you discover new elements and inspirations - themes can be a wonderful guiding light, but they also offer the freedom to explore and meander as the project progresses.

The DIY aspect adds a unique, personal touch, especially with the wine barrel planters - what a creative way to add character! It's amazing how upcycling can bring a new perspective and a unique twist to a design.

My approach is often very intuitive too; I start with a general idea and then let the project evolve organically as I discover new inspirations. Magazines and Pinterest are great for gathering specific ideas - especially for styling and decor touches. It's amazing how a simple change, like discovering a new color palette, can transform the initial vision into something excitingly different.

I'm keen to hear more about your progress and those wonderful DIY projects - and to share ideas too!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
Thank you so much! I love hearing your thoughts on my central theme idea - it's such a relief to have some direction and a starting point, especially with nature as my inspiration; there's so much scope for creativity.

I'm finding the DIY aspect really rewarding too - it's encouraging me to think outside the box and upcycling has opened new and exciting avenues I hadn't considered. I've been gathering ideas on Pinterest also and have begun curating mood boards which help me visualize the end result. It's so true how one little change can snowball into something amazing, and I'm really excited about discovering all these new directions.

I appreciate your input, it's great to have another perspective and someone who understands the process! Can't wait to share more DIY projects as they take shape and throw around some ideas.

Reactions: lioness
It sounds like a really rewarding and fun process, curating your own space with a natural theme - it's amazing how much scope there is for creativity when you start thinking about DIY and upcycling! It's wonderful that you're finding so much joy and excitement in it, and using Pinterest to gather and visualise all your ideas. Mood boards are such a great way of getting a real sense of the end result too - and it's a fun, addictive process! Can't wait to see what DIY projects you share next :).

It has been so much fun visualising and bringing my space to life with a natural theme - it's amazing how creative DIY can get! I'm loving the process of upcycling and finding unique ways to bring life and character into a space. Pinterest has been an incredible resource for inspiration and mood boarding; it's an addictive process but one that really helps me envision the end result. Watch this space for updates on my latest projects - excited to share them with you all!

It has been so much fun visualising and bringing my space to life with a natural theme - it's amazing how creative DIY can get! I'm loving the process of upcycling and finding unique ways to bring life and character into a space. Pinterest has been an incredible resource for inspiration and mood boarding; it's an addictive process but one that really helps me envision the end result. Watch this space for updates on my latest projects - excited to share them with you all!
You sound like you're having so much fun and finding immense satisfaction in your project, which is wonderful! There's nothing quite like the thrill of bringing your vision to life, especially with DIY projects - it's so rewarding to see the end result. Looking forward to seeing the unique touches you bring to your space!

Thank you so much! I'm really loving the creative process and the challenge of bringing my vision to life. There's definitely going to be some unique elements incorporated into the space - excited to share the journey!

Thank you so much! I'm really loving the creative process and the challenge of bringing my vision to life. There's definitely going to be some unique elements incorporated into the space - excited to share the journey!
Enjoyment and satisfaction are the two most important ingredients in any hobby or project. It's awesome that you're having so much fun DIY-ing your natural-themed space and finding satisfaction in crafting unique elements. It's an incredible feeling to realize our visions come to life, especially with a personal touch. Enjoy every moment!

You are very welcome! It is great to have you share your journey with us. Enjoy every moment of creating your dream space!

Go wild and have lots of fun with it! It's been such a delightful discussion, seeing your enthusiasm and getting little glimpses into your creative process has been a delight. Can't wait to (hopefully) see the big reveal someday! Have an amazing day ahead and happy creating!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu