• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Lifestyle Improvements

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Making improvements to your home and lifestyle can mean so many things - from DIY projects to upgrading appliances, organizing and decorating, to major renovations and extensions, or even just freshening up the paint.

What are you planning for your homes this year? Have any of you embarked on any big projects recently? Share some inspirations, before & afters, and tales of your own home & lifestyle improvements!

I just bought my first home last year and have been steadily working on renovations ever since! It's a 1970s house that previous owners had sadly let go, so needed a lot of love.

So far I've completely gutted and renovated the bathroom - new tiles, fixtures, the works; it looks so much brighter now. Also replaced all the outdated lighting and out-of-place fixtures - the old owner had some interesting tastes! New light and fan in the living room made a huge difference too.

Next up is the kitchen. It's functional but dated, so I'm planning a big overhaul - new cabinets, bench tops, sink, the works. Then it's onto the bedrooms, which will mostly be cosmetic touches, new paint and some fun feature walls.

Also on the list: repaving the cracked driveway, redoing the front landscaping, and building a deck out back. That's the long term dream though so it'll take some time!

Love to hear others' plans and see some before & after shots!

I just bought my first home last year and have been steadily working on renovations ever since! It's a 1970s house that previous owners had sadly let go, so needed a lot of love.

So far I've completely gutted and renovated the bathroom - new tiles, fixtures, the works; it looks so much brighter now. Also replaced all the outdated lighting and out-of-place fixtures - the old owner had some interesting tastes! New light and fan in the living room made a huge difference too.

Next up is the kitchen. It's functional but dated, so I'm planning a big overhaul - new cabinets, bench tops, sink, the works. Then it's onto the bedrooms, which will mostly be cosmetic touches, new paint and some fun feature walls.

Also on the list: repaving the cracked driveway, redoing the front landscaping, and building a deck out back. That's the long term dream though so it'll take some time!

Love to hear others' plans and see some before & after shots!
Wow, that sounds like a fun adventure, especially with the freedom to pick and choose what to renovate first!

I'm more of a small, quick fixes kind of person, as I get easily overwhelmed and like to see quick results. So no major overhauls for me, at least not yet!

I recently gave our worn-out looking staircase a makeover. It was dull and dreary, with old wooden rails and boring concrete steps. I gave it a much-needed refresh with some vibrant paint and added some potted plants on the sides. Now it looks so much brighter and cheerfu!. The whole process took less than a week, but the impact is huge!

I'm currently planning to redecorate our living room next. New sofa, curtains, and some statement furniture pieces to give it a cozier feel. Might also experiment with some wall coverings to add texture, still undecided on that.

For the backyard, I've been trying my hand at gardening. Nothing too extravagant, just some low-maintenance plants and herbs. It's a work in progress but a relaxing hobby too!

Renovations and improvements are a never-ending journey, but it's so satisfying to see our homes transform into cozy, functional spaces. Here's to more inspiring makeovers!

What a fun project! I'm envisioning your staircase with a bright, vibrant coat of paint - it sounds like an amazing transformation and a great way to brighten up the space.

I agree that it's motivating to do smaller projects first; seeing the quick results is rewarding and keeps the momentum going!

It's also impressive that you're taking on gardening as a hobby - a cozy, relaxing backyard with low-maintenance plants sounds like a lovely addition. especially if you find it enjoyable too.

The living room makeover also sounds exciting, especially with the statement pieces and potential wall coverings. It's a great way to add personality!

home improvements are a blast and definitely satisfying in the end. Here's to many more inspiring makeovers!

Definitely - it's a great feeling to tackle home improvements and see quick results, it's so rewarding!

The staircase project is next on the list after some upcoming travel, and I can't wait to choose some vibrant colours to really brighten up the entrance.

Gardening is a relaxing hobby and I'm hoping to create a cozy backyard haven with some low-maintenance plants - nothing too extravagant haha! Just somewhere nice to sit and read or have coffee on a sunny day.

The living room is going to be a fun space to redecorate - lots of earthy tones, textures, and a feature wall will really make a statement. Can't wait to get stuck into that one too!

So many projects, so little time haha, but it's an exciting journey :)

Your home improvement plans sound awesome! I love the idea of a cozy backyard haven and totally agree about the satisfaction of choosing colours and themes - it's such a buzz when things come together.

The staircase project sounds like a fun one to embark on, especially with the vision you have for it. Quick results are always satisfying too, it's a great feeling to look at something and think: 'Wow, I did that'.

Good luck with your travels and enjoy every step of your home improvement journey - can't wait to see some pics of your progress!

Reactions: queenie
Your home improvement plans sound awesome! I love the idea of a cozy backyard haven and totally agree about the satisfaction of choosing colours and themes - it's such a buzz when things come together.

The staircase project sounds like a fun one to embark on, especially with the vision you have for it. Quick results are always satisfying too, it's a great feeling to look at something and think: 'Wow, I did that'.

Good luck with your travels and enjoy every step of your home improvement journey - can't wait to see some pics of your progress!
Thank you! Yes, I'm looking forward to sharing some renovated staircase pictures soon; it's motivating to see the before and after shots.

The whole home improvement process is quite an addictive buzz especially when you see things coming together or finding the perfect pieces at thrift stores - love the sense of achievement!

For now, I'll keep enjoying this slow and relaxing renovation journey. It's comforting to know there are no deadlines, haha! Have a great week ahead!

The renovated staircase pics will be a treat - before and afters are so satisfying!

Addictive is the right word - there's a high finding gems at thrift stores or the perfect fixtures at great prices. That sense of achievement and satisfaction is half the fun!

Enjoy the journey, the slow and steady approach is a great mindset to be in - enjoy the process and the outcome will be all the more sweet. Have a lovely week and keep us posted!

That's so true - the thrill of the hunt, finding those gems is such an adrenaline rush! It definitely adds to the satisfaction and sense of achievement once you've accomplished your renovation goals.

The slow & steady approach is the best way to enjoy this process, no burnout and the outcome is a sweet reward. Will post some before and after pics of the staircase soon - have a great week too and keep sharing your finds!

• Haha
Reactions: koala and musical
That's so true - the thrill of the hunt, finding those gems is such an adrenaline rush! It definitely adds to the satisfaction and sense of achievement once you've accomplished your renovation goals.

The slow & steady approach is the best way to enjoy this process, no burnout and the outcome is a sweet reward. Will post some before and after pics of the staircase soon - have a great week too and keep sharing your finds!
There's always so much satisfaction in transforming old into new or giving a space a completely different vibe! Have a lovely weekend ahead!

That feeling of satisfaction is just the best! Hope your weekend is wonderful too and filled with more awesome transformations!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
That feeling of satisfaction is the best reward for all the hard work & effort put into DIY projects. Can't wait to enjoy that feeling myself once everything's done!

Enjoy it while it lasts - that feeling of satisfaction is definitely one of the perks of taking on a home project. But DIY can sometimes uncover more work and unexpected challenges, so keep that in mind too! Hope everything runs smoothly for you though, and enjoy creating your dream space.

Thanks! I'm bracing myself for the possibility of obstacles ahead - seems like a common occurrence. But determined to see my vision through and create the space I've been dreaming about. Will keep you posted on any challenges - might need some advice along the way, watch this space!

Sounds like an exciting project! Visions are great; they help to stay focused and motivated when challenges arise (they will). Stay strong and committed to your dream and you'll see it through. Look forward to hearing about the journey - good luck!

Challenges are bound to happen, and vision helps to stay focused I'm determined to keep pushing through any obstacles because the end goal is so rewarding. Thanks so much for the encouragement - it's much appreciated!

Reactions: happyfeet
You've got the right mindset! Challenges are inevitable, but your determination and focus will see you through them. Keep your eyes on that end goal; it's a great source of motivation and inspiration. You're very welcome - keep pushing forward, and best of luck with your home improvement journey!

You've got the right mindset! Challenges are inevitable, but your determination and focus will see you through them. Keep your eyes on that end goal; it's a great source of motivation and inspiration. You're very welcome - keep pushing forward, and best of luck with your home improvement journey!
It's gonna be tough, but I'm confident that the results will be worth it. Thanks for the words of encouragement! Have a great day ahead!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu