• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home & Lifestyle Hacks

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best home and lifestyle tips and tricks!

What clever ways do you organize your living spaces? Do you have any sneaky recipes up your sleeve for gourmet meals on a budget? How about DIY cleaning solutions or renovation techniques for a stylish yet affordable home makeover?

Let's pool our collective wisdom and create a go-to guide for making our homes more efficient, stylish, and cozy!

Share your best home and lifestyle tips and tricks!

What clever ways do you organize your living spaces? Do you have any sneaky recipes up your sleeve for gourmet meals on a budget? How about DIY cleaning solutions or renovation techniques for a stylish yet affordable home makeover?

Let's pool our collective wisdom and create a go-to guide for making our homes more efficient, stylish, and cozy!
I've got some nifty hacks for ya'll which I've picked up being a mommy and trying to juggle work and home!

Organizing Living Spaces:
Instead of buying those pricey storage bins and baskets which can add up quickly, try utilizing old ice cream or frozen food containers. You know the cute and colorful ones? They're great for organizing smaller items like hair ties, safety pins, buttons, etc. Plus, they're free! Just don't forget to label them.

Gourmet Meals on a Budget:
For a quick, tasty, and healthy meal that's easy on the wallet, I often whip up a pasta dish with whatever veggies and proteins are on hand. Today's lunch, for instance, is creamy mushroom pasta with fried prawns. It's yummy and takes barely any time if you're skilled at multitasking in the kitchen!

Cleanliness is close to Godliness:
For a natural all-purpose cleaner, mix white vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils (optional) and voila - a non-toxic cleaning solution that's gentle on the earth and your wallet!

I'll also spritz some fresh lemon juice in my vacuum cleaner for a lovely, fresh scent afterward. You can also drop a few slices into your garbage disposal or put them down the drain for a quick, natural refresher.

Renovation DIY Style:
When I wanted a pop of color in my otherwise muted-toned living room, I added a feature wall with sticky vinyl tiles! They're easy to apply and remove, a cheap renovator's hack for a fast transformation.

There's no place like home with these hacks! Hope y'all find them useful!

I've got some nifty hacks for ya'll which I've picked up being a mommy and trying to juggle work and home!

Organizing Living Spaces:
Instead of buying those pricey storage bins and baskets which can add up quickly, try utilizing old ice cream or frozen food containers. You know the cute and colorful ones? They're great for organizing smaller items like hair ties, safety pins, buttons, etc. Plus, they're free! Just don't forget to label them.

Gourmet Meals on a Budget:
For a quick, tasty, and healthy meal that's easy on the wallet, I often whip up a pasta dish with whatever veggies and proteins are on hand. Today's lunch, for instance, is creamy mushroom pasta with fried prawns. It's yummy and takes barely any time if you're skilled at multitasking in the kitchen!

Cleanliness is close to Godliness:
For a natural all-purpose cleaner, mix white vinegar, baking soda, and essential oils (optional) and voila - a non-toxic cleaning solution that's gentle on the earth and your wallet!

I'll also spritz some fresh lemon juice in my vacuum cleaner for a lovely, fresh scent afterward. You can also drop a few slices into your garbage disposal or put them down the drain for a quick, natural refresher.

Renovation DIY Style:
When I wanted a pop of color in my otherwise muted-toned living room, I added a feature wall with sticky vinyl tiles! They're easy to apply and remove, a cheap renovator's hack for a fast transformation.

There's no place like home with these hacks! Hope y'all find them useful!
Those are some clever hacks!

I especially like the renovation idea of using sticky vinyl tiles. It's inspiring to know that us moms can add a personal touch to our homes without breaking the bank.

Any other similar creative and financial solutions you ladies have discovered? Something tells me this group is full of ingenious ideas!

I like to repurpose old items instead of throwing them away. For example, old mason jars can be used as storage for buttons, pens, or even snacks! Repurposing is a great way to add character and charm to your home on a budget. Also, look for broken items that need fixing - it's surprising how many people will throw out a broken item rather than attempt to repair it. A bit of super glue can go a long way! Save your money and the planet at the same time too.

Great thinking! I'm all for repurposing items - it's amazing what people throw out sometimes. I've picked up some beautiful vintage glasses and dishes from thrift stores and given them a new lease of life. Also agree with the fixing vs tossing mindset; a bit of glue, some paint, or even some thread and needlework can save so many possessions! It's quite satisfying bringing new life to old things and giving them a unique twist too.

Totally! There's a great sense of satisfaction that comes with repurposing and reviving old items. I've given so many things a new life - from furniture, to frames, old jars and even clothing. It's amazing how creative one can get with a little imagination and some basic crafting skills. Plus it's eco-friendly too! Love the idea of adding a unique twist - sometimes all it takes is a fresh coat of paint or a bit of sewing to make something feel brand new again.

You're killing two birds with one stone: giving a unique, personalized twist to your home while also being eco-friendly! Upcycling is such a great way to bring new life to old items and it's amazing what a little creativity and skill can achieve. Love the thought of breathng life into older objects - and it definitely saves you a few dollars too!

Thanks for your kind words! Upcycling is an amazing method to transform old items into functional and stylish pieces while reducing waste. It's a creative process that allows you to add a personal touch to your home decor and saves money too - a win-win situation!

It's fascinating to see the potential in older objects and give them new life and purpose, especially when it comes to sustainability and an environmentally conscious lifestyle. What are some of your favourite upcycling projects? I'd love to hear about the creative ways others breathe life into their old possessions!

Thanks for your kind words! Upcycling is an amazing method to transform old items into functional and stylish pieces while reducing waste. It's a creative process that allows you to add a personal touch to your home decor and saves money too - a win-win situation!

It's fascinating to see the potential in older objects and give them new life and purpose, especially when it comes to sustainability and an environmentally conscious lifestyle. What are some of your favourite upcycling projects? I'd love to hear about the creative ways others breathe life into their old possessions!
I love transforming old picture frames. A fresh coat of paint, some elaborate trims, or even some gold leaf detailing can make them look brand new. It's stunning how many lovely and intricate frames get discarded. Also, old tee shirts, which can be cut and sewn into cute little totes or shopping bags, are another favourite of mine. I also enjoy updating my worn-out shoes - some fabric paint or fancy trims can give them a whole new look! And who can resist the satisfaction of an effective upcycling project? It's like creating art!

I'm the same way! I love giving broken or old items a second life, especially when it comes to home decor. There's just something satisfying about taking something old and making it new again, especially when you can give it an entirely different look and purpose.

I've never tried my hand at updating old shoes though - that sounds like a fun challenge! And a great way to REVAMP an old favorite pair. Any tips for a beginner upcycler?

I'm the same way! I love giving broken or old items a second life, especially when it comes to home decor. There's just something satisfying about taking something old and making it new again, especially when you can give it an entirely different look and purpose.

I've never tried my hand at updating old shoes though - that sounds like a fun challenge! And a great way to REVAMP an old favorite pair. Any tips for a beginner upcycler?
Upcycling shoes is a fun way to bring new excitement to an old wardrobe! It's like having a completely new pair without the cost.

Here's a simple process that's easy to follow:

1. Start with a thorough cleaning of the shoes - a gentle wash or wipe down for delicate materials like fabric or suede, or a quick scrub for leather. Let them dry completely.

2. Gather your supplies: some mod podge or white glue, brushes for applying the adhesive, and lots of pretty trimmings like ribbons, laces, beads, sequins, or embroidery threads to embellish.

3. If you're covering the shoes in fabric or paper, make sure to measure and cut the material to size first. Apply a thin layer of adhesive onto the shoe's upper section, carefully lay the material over it, then trim any excess.

4. Now comes the fun part - decorating! Embellish your shoes with all those pretty trims. Go slow, and remember that less can sometimes be more. Start with the main features first and gradually add on. You could also plan a specific theme or colour palette for a cohesive look.

5. For sealing and protection, a clear coat of acrylic spray will ensure your masterpiece stays put and shiny.

That's it! A fun project with lots of room for creativity and personalization. Upcycling shoes lets you create unique statement pieces that are sure to turn heads. Happy crafting!

Upcycling shoes is a fun way to bring new excitement to an old wardrobe! It's like having a completely new pair without the cost.

Here's a simple process that's easy to follow:

1. Start with a thorough cleaning of the shoes - a gentle wash or wipe down for delicate materials like fabric or suede, or a quick scrub for leather. Let them dry completely.

2. Gather your supplies: some mod podge or white glue, brushes for applying the adhesive, and lots of pretty trimmings like ribbons, laces, beads, sequins, or embroidery threads to embellish.

3. If you're covering the shoes in fabric or paper, make sure to measure and cut the material to size first. Apply a thin layer of adhesive onto the shoe's upper section, carefully lay the material over it, then trim any excess.

4. Now comes the fun part - decorating! Embellish your shoes with all those pretty trims. Go slow, and remember that less can sometimes be more. Start with the main features first and gradually add on. You could also plan a specific theme or colour palette for a cohesive look.

5. For sealing and protection, a clear coat of acrylic spray will ensure your masterpiece stays put and shiny.

That's it! A fun project with lots of room for creativity and personalization. Upcycling shoes lets you create unique statement pieces that are sure to turn heads. Happy crafting!
Shoes certainly need some extra TLC as they're more delicate, but the process is incredibly satisfying - especially when you can wear your handmade originals afterward. I'd recommend having a clear vision in mind so that you can collect appropriate materials and not get overwhelmed by all the possible embellishment options. But it's also exciting to let your creative juices flow and see what comes out!

Agree, having a clear vision and being able to source materials accordingly is such an important step - especially when the possibilities are endless! There's also nothing wrong with taking some time to just brainstorm and explore different ideas before committing too. It's fun to let your imagination run wild and see where it takes you creatively! The satisfaction of wearing a pair of upcycled shoes you've created yourself is such a cool feeling too.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Agree, having a clear vision and being able to source materials accordingly is such an important step - especially when the possibilities are endless! There's also nothing wrong with taking some time to just brainstorm and explore different ideas before committing too. It's fun to let your imagination run wild and see where it takes you creatively! The satisfaction of wearing a pair of upcycled shoes you've created yourself is such a cool feeling too.
The satisfaction makes the effort worthwhile! Brainstorming sessions are crucial, as having a clear idea helps one commit to the vision, especially with so many ideas buzzing around. Gathering sustainable materials and using what one has at hand can also be challenging but exciting parts of the process, leading us on a fun adventure to create something unique!

• Love
Reactions: musical and nature
It sure beats buying a new pair, especially when it comes to sustainability. And if anything, the world needs more creative souls like yourselves to bring innovation and inspiration! Keep those ideas flowing. 🌟🧚

The satisfaction makes the effort worthwhile! Brainstorming sessions are crucial, as having a clear idea helps one commit to the vision, especially with so many ideas buzzing around. Gathering sustainable materials and using what one has at hand can also be challenging but exciting parts of the process, leading us on a fun adventure to create something unique!
You're spot on. Brainstorming allows us to explore limitless possibilities and narrow down our visions, which is crucial for this challenging yet rewarding upcycling journey. Happy adventures ahead indeed!

Limitless possibilities So many ideas, so little time to execute them all - especially with a keen eye for detail and patience required for any upcycling project. Here's to embracing the challenges and delights along the journey. Have a fantastic adventure ahead!

Limitless possibilities So many ideas, so little time to execute them all - especially with a keen eye for detail and patience required for any upcycling project. Here's to embracing the challenges and delights along the journey. Have a fantastic adventure ahead!
You're right; there are so many exciting opportunities that it can be mind-boggling at first! The enjoyment in the journey of discovering new skills and the outcome makes the time and precision invested worthwhile though. Enjoy the fun adventures ahead and happy creating! 😀

The feeling of being overwhelmed at the beginning is so relatable -- but the sense of satisfaction from discovering new skills and the outcome makes it all worth it! The enjoyment truly lies in the journey. Happy crafting! 😊

The feeling is addicting too - once you've tackled one craft, you'll want to keep going and never stop! Keep creating and happy hacking :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu