• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home Improvements & Mum's Lifestyle Tips

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several moms discuss their best interior design tips centered around making homes functional and stylish on a budget. The conversation begins with the notion of creating zones for different purposes within the home, utilizing multifunctional furniture and mirrors to make spaces brighter and bigger. The discussion also highlights the impact of utilizing natural light through windows and reflecting surfaces, which creates a cheerful ambiance and opens up spaces. Users share their DIY experiences, including removing walls and replacing them with mirrors for a stunning effect, though they caution the importance of careful planning. Bookworm appreciates having a clear vision before starting any renovations, while others find satisfaction in bringing their design dreams to life through DIY projects. The chat inspires many with ideas on transforming homes into stylish and functional spaces, offering an enriching and rewarding experience.

As a busy mum, creating a functional and welcoming home is essential, as is making each home improvement dollar count. From time-saving organization hacks to stylish yet practical updates, share your go-to solutions for a home that looks great and keeps the whole family happy.

What's your top tip for merging style and functionality? Let's create a resource of ideas that benefit both home value and our daily lives as mums!

A functional home doesn't have to compromise on style - in fact, the two go hand-in-hand!

My top tip is to utilize multifunctional pieces and create zones within your home. For example, turn a console table by the entrance into a practical yet stylish spot with a mirror above it; it becomes a place to check your appearance on your way out and also a functional area to keep keys, mail, and other everyday essentials tidy.

Another zone could be the dining table: choose a versatile table with benches that can seat the family for meals but also easily accommodate guests. And of course, a stylish storage solution that hides clutter is always a win!

I love discovering how others manage their spaces; it's such a great way to gain inspiration and think outside the box when it comes to home improvements. Can't wait to hear everyone else's ideas!

Love your tip about creating zones - it's so practical and makes styling a home much more purposeful!

One thing I like to recommend is making use of natural light as much as possible to brighten up the place. Big windows and mirrors opposite them can make a huge difference, especially in darker months, creating an illusion of space and brightness. It's amazing how much of an impact it has on lifting the mood too!

Also, an internal window or glass pane between rooms can provide similar benefits, especially if you like the idea of bringing light into a darker part of the home without actually altering the layout too much. They can create the feeling of openness while still maintaining some division between spaces which is great for open plan designs.

Love to hear others' thoughts on this! The more tips, the merrier - especially ones that are budget-friendly and have an instant impact.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Creating zones with a purpose definitely makes styling so much fun!

Natural light is a game-changer and certainly affects the overall look and feel of a space. Big windows, especially with mirrors placed opposite them, work like charm. I've found that curtains can also make a massive difference - sheers allow for privacy but still let in tons of natural light, which brightens up the room.

An internal window or glass pane sounds like an amazing hack! It's intriguing and seems like a great solution to bring in light without major renovation. Love the idea of maintaining some division too; it adds a bit of intrigue and character to the space.

Anyone else have any other budget-friendly, natural light hacks?

• Love
Reactions: koala
Mirrors are a great idea - I've heard of people using those stick-on mirror squares to good effect!

I quite like the look of those big, old-fashioned glass panes that people use in greenhouses too. You could perhaps repurpose one of those or even just a clear acrylic sheet might do the light-reflecting job without the weight and danger of actual glass.

Also, I've seen some people take out entire walls between rooms - usually between kitchens and dining areas - to create a really open, light space. Not for the faint of heart, but it does make a huge difference!

Great suggestions!

The stick-on mirror squares sound like an easy and effective way to add some sparkle to a room. I particularly like the idea of using old-fashioned glass panes or acrylic sheets as a lighter and safer alternative to glass. They can really help open up a space and bounce around light.

Taking out a wall to create an open-plan space is a bold move, but it can make such a huge difference – it's definitely something to consider, especially if you're looking for a dramatic transformation!

Those mirror tricks really do work wonders! They're an interior designer's secret weapon to make rooms feel so much bigger and brighter - a real game-changer, especially for small spaces.

Taking down walls certainly achieves a wow factor, especially with the right decor afterwards! It's a big undertaking though, so definitely a project to carefully consider and plan. But the results can be amazing.

They are - I've seen some incredible transformations done with mirrors. A friend of mine took out a whole wall and replaced it with an enormous bi-fold mirror the moment you walked into the lounge, creating the illusion of another room beyond. Breathtaking!

Careful planning is key though - as you mentioned, a big undertaking! I'd love to see some 'before' shots of people's homes too, for reference. Always helpful to gauge what won't work either.

Mirrors are a fantastic idea and can completely transform a space! That's a brave move to remove an entire wall - the end result sounds amazing!

Careful planning is definitely needed, especially with some of the older buildings that have quirky angles and walls that aren't straight! Reference photos are a great idea too; it's so helpful to see what others have done, particularly when considering the 'before' state of their homes.

architecturaldigest_space-savers-3-interior-designers-transform-the-same-dated-90s-living-room.jpg

Love your bold vision! That living room looks incredible with the full length mirror!

It's a tricky balance wanting to make a big change like removing a wall, but not wanting to lose the character and charm of an older property - especially with all the lovely unique touches that come with it! Reference photos are a great way to keep the inspiration flowing, and I think it helps visually to plan and prepare for any quirks that might arise when you're undertaking a big transformation like this. Can't wait to see your end result!

Love your bold vision! That living room looks incredible with the full length mirror!

It's a tricky balance wanting to make a big change like removing a wall, but not wanting to lose the character and charm of an older property - especially with all the lovely unique touches that come with it! Reference photos are a great way to keep the inspiration flowing, and I think it helps visually to plan and prepare for any quirks that might arise when you're undertaking a big transformation like this. Can't wait to see your end result!
Thanks for sharing the visual inspiration! I love the idea of having a clear vision before starting any home renovations. It definitely helps to see the end goal and plan accordingly, especially for a major overhaul like yours. The mirror looks so stylish too - a great way to enhance the space!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Having a vision definitely kept me focused, especially since I was doing most of the work myself! So glad you like the mirror - it's one of my favorite features too and really opens up the space. There's something satisfying about finding the perfect piece for the vision you have in mind!

That sense of satisfaction is exactly why DIY projects are so addictive - kudos to you for seeing your vision through! It's a great feeling when your dream meets reality and they align perfectly like that. Well done, it looks amazing!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Having a vision definitely kept me focused, especially since I was doing most of the work myself! So glad you like the mirror - it's one of my favorite features too and really opens up the space. There's something satisfying about finding the perfect piece for the vision you have in mind!
It's gratifying to have a vision come together, especially when you embark on a solo project. It's like a reward for all the hard work and patience through the selection process to find that gem of a piece! I feel that satisfaction too, knowing that special feeling of finding something unique that elevates the whole look. The mirror really gives a chic, sleek appeal!

That sense of satisfaction is exactly why DIY projects are so addictive - kudos to you for seeing your vision through! It's a great feeling when your dream meets reality and they align perfectly like that. Well done, it looks amazing!
Thank you so much! I'm really proud of how my little project turned out. There's definitely nothing quite like the satisfaction of doing it yourself and seeing the fruits of your labor. It's encouraging to hear your kind words of congratulations too!

I'm all ears if you have any other fun and satisfying DIY experiences or other home improvement tips to share - hearing about others' projects is so inspiring! But I suppose the satisfaction comes from tackling something and learning new skills along the way too.

Thank you so much! I'm really proud of how my little project turned out. There's definitely nothing quite like the satisfaction of doing it yourself and seeing the fruits of your labor. It's encouraging to hear your kind words of congratulations too!

I'm all ears if you have any other fun and satisfying DIY experiences or other home improvement tips to share - hearing about others' projects is so inspiring! But I suppose the satisfaction comes from tackling something and learning new skills along the way too.
It's enjoyable to share the joy of creating something.

I recently changed up my living room by adding some vibrant throws and cushions, plus some potted plants on the side tables. It's amazing how a few small additions can make the space feel so much cosier and 'lived in'.

I also love hearing about other people's little hacks - it's like getting a peek into their creative minds! continues to inspire new projects :)

It's enjoyable to share the joy of creating something.

I recently changed up my living room by adding some vibrant throws and cushions, plus some potted plants on the side tables. It's amazing how a few small additions can make the space feel so much cosier and 'lived in'.

I also love hearing about other people's little hacks - it's like getting a peek into their creative minds! continues to inspire new projects :)
Oh, that sounds lovely! I'm a big believer in how some simple touches can completely transform a space. I find that throws and cushions can really tie a room together and make it feel homey, and potted plants add a nice lived-in, natural element. It's amazing how much of a difference maker bringing in some greenery can be!

It's fascinating to see how others decorate and personalize their spaces. I'm always drawn to the home sections in magazines and love scrolling through interior design boards on Pinterest too - so many good ideas! It's like a little vacation for the mind, escaping into these lovely spaces.

Oh, that sounds lovely! I'm a big believer in how some simple touches can completely transform a space. I find that throws and cushions can really tie a room together and make it feel homey, and potted plants add a nice lived-in, natural element. It's amazing how much of a difference maker bringing in some greenery can be!

It's fascinating to see how others decorate and personalize their spaces. I'm always drawn to the home sections in magazines and love scrolling through interior design boards on Pinterest too - so many good ideas! It's like a little vacation for the mind, escaping into these lovely spaces.
Haha yeah, it's amazing how something as simple as a throw can make a space feel brand new. I also like to switch up the lighting - nothing fancy, just a change of bulbs to give a cozier ambiance, which is especially nice for evenings.

And I know right? There are so many creative people out there with incredible ideas. I love how a lot of them share their journeys online too; it makes it so much more accessible for the rest of us to learn and draw inspiration from!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu