• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home Enhancements

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This thread is for discussing all things related to enhancing one's home, from small tweaks that make a big impact to major renovations and everything in between! Share your own experiences, seek advice or inspiration, or offer insights and tips you've gained through your own home improvement journeys.

What's everyone's first project or idea they'd like to discuss? Let's see some before and afters and get those inspiration boards filled up!

I've been focused on curb appeal improvements lately, specifically focusing on the garden and exterior of our home. New sod, some colorful shrubs and seasonal flowers have made a huge difference visually. Also installed some solar-powered lighting along the pathway which has given our home a nice warm glow at nighttime - adds a lot of charm and character too! Next up is pressure washing the siding and giving it a fresh coat of paint - can't wait to see the transformation!

Sounds like an exciting project! That's a great job you've done on the garden and exterior upgrades; it's amazing how impactful those changes can be. The lighting along the pathway sounds like a lovely finishing touch, giving your home a nice warm invite.

Pressure washing and a fresh coat of paint will really set the finish and bring a whole new feel - almost like having a brand new home without the cost! What colors are you thinking of going for? Any particular design inspiration you're drawing from?

• Love
Reactions: nature
There's no specific color scheme I have in mind just yet, still open to exploring options and gathering ideas. But for sure, something bright and cheerful would be awesome, maybe some vibrant accents here and there. I love the idea of creating a warm and welcoming ambiance, so I'll definitely keep that in mind too when deciding on colors. No specific design inspiration either, just lots of pinning and collecting ideas on Pinterest! Can't wait to see the transformation, it's gonna be exciting.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Definitely a fun and exciting project ahead for you then! When I was planning my last redecoration, I found myself getting drawn to certain themes and styles, even finding some inspiration from the strangest things - a nice surprise!

I love how open-ended your approach is, just letting the ideas flow and pin away - that's an awesome way to let the 'design muse' work its magic. It's a great blank canvas you've got going, so many directions to go in!

The warmth and cheer are a lovely vision - definitely a mood booster for when those grey and gloomy days roll around. Bright and vibrant with some well-placed accents always does the trick! Can't wait to see what transformations you come up with.

Reactions: doctormama
Thanks so much for your enthusiasm - it's infectious! I love hearing how you drew inspiration from unexpected sources, it's a real encouragement to keep an open mind as I embark on this project.

The blank canvas can be daunting too, but your faith in the 'design muse' excites me to dive into some creative brainstorming. Learning how you found direction is inspiring and helps me think about themes I hadn't considered.

I'm all ears for any specific insights you have on transitioning into a cozier, brighter, and cheerier space. The grey days motivation is a great reminder of the homely feel I want to cultivate. Can't wait to share the journey!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Grey, dreary days call for cozy, cheerful spaces to lift your mood - a blank canvas is daunting but also exciting because of the potential!

For inspiration, seek out accounts or magazines that feature unconventional design choices. You'll be amazed at how military-inspired camo prints or quirky kitsch themes can surprisingly tie a space together. Don't hesitate to think outside the box and embrace themes that evoke warm feelings or happy memories - it's amazing how a tropical-themed bedroom could brighten up your mornings, or a cozy mountain lodge-themed living room could make you feel snuggly and comforted.

Consider starting with a mood board. Cut out pictures, fabrics, colors, and textures that speak to you and throw them all up on a corkboard. You'll soon see a theme emerge - a color palette you gravitate towards, a style, or even a specific feel you want in the room. This is a fun way to get your creative juices flowing and is a great tool to help decide direction.

Also, lighting plays a huge role in setting the mood and ambiance. Layering your lighting - with ceiling fixtures, lamps, and even candlelight - can instantly transform a space and make it cozy. Warm-toned bulbs create a homely feel, whereas brighter lights are energizing. Invest in some fairy lights too; their twinkle adds a whimsical touch to any room.

Have fun and embrace the process! This is a great adventure ahead!

Some excellent points on lifting the mood of grey dreary spaces!

Using a mood board is a fantastic way to visually explore different themes and styles, especially when you're not too sure what specific direction you'd like to go in. It's also a great way to experiment with different design elements - I've seen some people use actual photos of their rooms and cutouts of furniture, fabric swatches, and even 3D items like little statues or trinkets. You could end up with a very interesting collage that might reveal a secret passion for a particular theme!

Lighting is mood-altering - it's amazing how different warm and bright lights can make the same space feel so varied. It's a simple yet impactful way of altering moods and creating ambiance.

The idea of drawing inspiration from random themes like camo or tropical/lodge themes is an exciting one! And it's an easy way to add personality too - lots of fun and definitely cheerful.

Fairy lights are my personal fave - such a simple way to add a touch of magic and whimsy to lift the mood instantly!

Have a great time embarking on this adventure - it sounds like a fun project!

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I really like the idea of using a mood board to help visualize the end goal, especially as a means to experiment with different themes and styles - might have to steal that idea!

I agree that lighting is key, it can totally transform the feel of a space. I'm thinking of going with some fairy lights too - they're so cute and cheerful.

The random themes are definitely fun and add a unique twist, and it's an easy way to inject personality into a space. The possibilities are endless! Can't wait to get started and will definitely post some before and after pics once done!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Definitely share your mood board and lighting ideas - would love to see how you plan it out!

Fairy lights are a fantastic idea for a cheerful vibe, and I can't wait to see your unique themes and style come together. The thread of random yet thoughtful touches is so exciting when bringing a space to life, especially with an endless array of possibilities.

Looking forward to those before and after pics - keep us posted on your progress!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Can't wait to share my mood board - working on it now, it's so fun planning and envisioning the space and atmosphere.

I'm thinking warm fairy lights twisted around some leaf and vine garlands for a whimsical, enchanted forest kind of vibe. Then I'll add some statement lights to really make an impact - maybe some colorful retro lamp shades or sleek modern pendants.

The before and after pics will definitely show the transformation - so exciting!

Reactions: musical
Wow, your vision sounds delightful! I love the whimsy of twinkly fairy lights intertwined with lush vines, creating that enchanting forest atmosphere.

The statement lights you plan to add as a contrast sound like they'll really make the space pop and provide a stunning visual impact. Can't wait to see the big reveal in the before and after pics - the transformation is going to be amazing!

black-wire-round-bulb-garland-warm-white_vintage-string-light-roomtery3.jpg

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! I'm thrilled to hear you find my vision delightful and enchanting. The fairy lights and lush vines will create a whimsical ambiance, and I can't wait to contrast them with some bold statement lights. Stay tuned for the reveal; it's going to be a dramatic transformation!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
The reveal will be worth the wait! Stay tuned for an unveiling of the transformations - they're sure to delight and inspire!

Can't wait for the big reveal! You've got me curious about what stunning changes you have in store!

Reactions: sunnydays
Stay tuned and you shall see the amazing transformations soon enough! We're really excited about all the wonderful upgrades! Hope you like them too!

I'm so excited to share the results - it's gonna look amazing!

Can't wait to see the outcome, sounds promising! Did you make any significant changes or just some touch-ups? Either way, excited to see the end result!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu