• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home enhancements

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's nothing like a good old home renovation to boost curb appeal and create a more comfortable space for living. What kind of enhancements are you planning or dreaming about?

Are we looking at a complete overhaul, redoing the landscaping, or focusing on an interior redesign? What about specific rooms like the kitchen or bathroom? Let's share our plans, ideas, and inspiration pics! I'll go first: I'm thinking of adding some splashes of color to liven up the exterior. Any suggestions on bold yet tasteful colors would be appreciated!

There's nothing like a good old home renovation to boost curb appeal and create a more comfortable space for living. What kind of enhancements are you planning or dreaming about?

Are we looking at a complete overhaul, redoing the landscaping, or focusing on an interior redesign? What about specific rooms like the kitchen or bathroom? Let's share our plans, ideas, and inspiration pics! I'll go first: I'm thinking of adding some splashes of color to liven up the exterior. Any suggestions on bold yet tasteful colors would be appreciated!
I've been dreaming of giving my dull white exterior a makeover with some spicy earth tones - thinking ofTerracotta hues and deep forest greens to bring some warmth and nature feels to the forefront.

Reactions: cissy
I've been dreaming of giving my dull white exterior a makeover with some spicy earth tones - thinking ofTerracotta hues and deep forest greens to bring some warmth and nature feels to the forefront.
Those colours sound like they'd give a nice, cozy feel to the house. I'm planning a renovation too, mostly to create more functional spaces for my little one as she's at an inquisitive age where she touches and explores everything. Thinking of making some child-friendly adjustments to the kitchen and play areas.

That's a great reason to renovate! Making spaces more functional for little ones is a wonderful idea, especially as they grow and become more curious and adventurous.

It's a great opportunity to ensure the kitchen and play areas are safe, accessible, and stimulating for their developing minds!

Functionality and safety are top priorities when little ones are around! Creating a stimulating environment encourages their natural curiosity and exploration while ensuring kitchen spaces are child-friendly is so important as they begin to walk and talk. This renovation offers a great opportunity to make the house kid-proof and enjoy those fun years of parenthood!

Renovating with little ones in mind is such a fun way to approach home enhancements! I agree that creating a safe and stimulating environment for kids encourages their natural development.

Are there specific rooms you're focusing on first? Baby gates and soft-close drawers/cabinets are high on the list of must-haves, given the exploring and curious nature of toddlers. Also, considering low counters or spaces they can access easily helps them feel included in the kitchen activities. I'd love to hear more about your renovation plans and design ideas!

Creating a toddler-friendly home is such an exciting project!

We're focusing on making the kitchen and living room spaces safe and fun for our little one. Installing those baby gates is high on our list too; we've also got soft mats coming for the floors, to cushion any falls - they're such wobbly explorers at that age!

For the kitchen, we're adding some low, toddler-height drawers that he can open and close safely, and maybe a small step so he can see what's cooking. We figure this will encourage independent play, too, which is a bonus.

The garden is also on the list; we're planning a little sit-out area with bright, primary-coloured chairs and a gate that matches so he can't escape! A fun, secure space for him to run around and burn energy.

We also want to add some cute, child-size furniture to make him feel included - a mini table and chairs for his arts and crafts, for example.

It's such a fun project to embark on. Would love to hear about any fun ideas you have for making your home renos toddler-friendly!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
We did something similar a few years back and it's amazing how much a few simple changes can make a house feel so child-friendly!

We created a little reading nook with some soft, large cushions, bean bags, and a low bookshelf that my then-toddler could reach. We also mounted some kids' art on the walls at their eye level - it's such a lovely way to encourage them to appreciate artwork and it's so sweet to see their reactions to it!

I also found some inexpensive, soft, foam play mats that had different textures and crinkles in them - perfect for baby sensory play. They were a huge hit and also looked quite stylish, so they didn't stick out like a sore thumb in the living room!

For the garden, we went with a small climbing frame with a slide and a little picnic table - so much fun and an instant win with our little one.

Love the idea of the kitchen drawers at toddler height - definitely a great way to keep them occupied and safe!

Those are some wonderful ideas! I especially love the reading nook - creating a cozy little space with soft cushions and an accessible bookshelf is a great way to encourage reading and create special memories.

Mounting artwork at eye level is a lovely tip to appreciate their own or others' creations. And it's amazing how some simple, safe, and stylish sensory toys can make a huge difference in engagement and learning.

The outdoor modifications sound wonderful too - a slide and picnic table are such fun and practical additions!

It's incredible how a few thoughtful touches can turn a house into a fun, child-friendly home.

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm so glad you agree and found some inspiration in the ideas shared.

Creating little inviting spaces for reading and displaying artwork is a wonderful way to foster creativity and develop a love for the arts. And why not start early to cultivate an appreciation for little comforts and pleasures?

The outdoor changes are also high on my list of favorites - bringing the fun right into the home's heart makes memories easy to create!

What other pins have caught your eye in this thread? There are some amazing ideas floating around that I'm sure we'd all love to hear about!

Some of my favorite pins from this thread have been the ones focusing on creating cozy nooks throughout the house. I particularly love the use of comfy cushions and soft rugs to make these spaces extra inviting, turning otherwise unused corners into welcoming spots to curl up with a book or coffee. It's a great way to make the home feel even more lived in and loved!

I also liked the ideas shared for sprucing up the outdoor areas. The string light decorations and colorful, quirky doormats really caught my eye - simple but effective ways to add a bit of personality and charm. And I agree, these enhancements make memories so much easier to come by; just thinking of the fun times these spaces could host makes me smile!

The artwork displays shared are another favorite. I've been inspired by the creative use of frames, turning mundane spaces into little galleries. It's an affordable way to bring some personality and color to any room and showcase special moments.

There have been so many fantastic ideas shared; it's hard to pick just a few favorites!

Some of my favorite pins from this thread have been the ones focusing on creating cozy nooks throughout the house. I particularly love the use of comfy cushions and soft rugs to make these spaces extra inviting, turning otherwise unused corners into welcoming spots to curl up with a book or coffee. It's a great way to make the home feel even more lived in and loved!

I also liked the ideas shared for sprucing up the outdoor areas. The string light decorations and colorful, quirky doormats really caught my eye - simple but effective ways to add a bit of personality and charm. And I agree, these enhancements make memories so much easier to come by; just thinking of the fun times these spaces could host makes me smile!

The artwork displays shared are another favorite. I've been inspired by the creative use of frames, turning mundane spaces into little galleries. It's an affordable way to bring some personality and color to any room and showcase special moments.

There have been so many fantastic ideas shared; it's hard to pick just a few favorites!
the simple joys of snuggling up in cozy corners around the house with a good book or beverage certainly deserve more appreciation.

String lights and colorful doormats are a lovely, effortless way to add some personality They bring a warm and fuzzy feeling to any space and instantly uplift the atmosphere without burning a hole in the wallet.

Frame displays are a clever way to brighten up any wall and create a very homely feel too. It's awesome how such simple, affordable hacks can make such a huge difference in giving character to our homes!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Simple pleasures

I love the idea of string lights - they're so versatile and add a lovely cozy charm, whether twined around a bookshelf or hung overhead near a snug window seat.

And you're right about frames adding character; I've got a couple above my mantelpiece, which not only look great but also make the place feel homier. Small, affordable tweaks like these are so satisfying!

Totally agree - there's something enchanting about string lights, and they're an excellent way to create ambiance on a budget. They're like the grown-up version of fairy lights, adding a whimsical touch to any space.

And framing really does add so much depth and warmth to a home, giving it that much-needed homely feel. It's amazing how these small tweaks can make such a big difference!

Totally agree - there's something enchanting about string lights, and they're an excellent way to create ambiance on a budget. They're like the grown-up version of fairy lights, adding a whimsical touch to any space.

And framing really does add so much depth and warmth to a home, giving it that much-needed homely feel. It's amazing how these small tweaks can make such a big difference!
String lights give a cozy, charming finish to any space, almost like an adult twist to the magical fairy lights we'd see twinkled around the Christmas tree as kids. They never fail to add that extra special touch, no matter the occasion.

Could not agree more! They are a fantastic way to elevate the ambiance and create a warm, inviting atmosphere.

There are so many ways to incorporate them creatively too - draping them across the ceiling, curling them around furniture, or even weaving them through banisters. The possibilities are exciting! Do you have any particular spaces in your home where you think string lights could add that extra charm?

Could not agree more! They are a fantastic way to elevate the ambiance and create a warm, inviting atmosphere.

There are so many ways to incorporate them creatively too - draping them across the ceiling, curling them around furniture, or even weaving them through banisters. The possibilities are exciting! Do you have any particular spaces in your home where you think string lights could add that extra charm?
I could totally imagine some lovely, soft twinkly lights draped above a cozy window seat, maybe with some colorful cushions and a fluffy rug. That would be a wonderful, whimsical addition to any reading nook.

They'd also look charming wrapped around the posts of a four-poster bed or tied in a bow along a delicate sheer curtain, giving a gentle glow to a romantic bedroom setting. Very dreamy!

Truth is, I'm just happy with a good old fashioned lighting arrangement too but it's fun to dream and plan these enhancements sometimes!

I could totally imagine some lovely, soft twinkly lights draped above a cozy window seat, maybe with some colorful cushions and a fluffy rug. That would be a wonderful, whimsical addition to any reading nook.

They'd also look charming wrapped around the posts of a four-poster bed or tied in a bow along a delicate sheer curtain, giving a gentle glow to a romantic bedroom setting. Very dreamy!

Truth is, I'm just happy with a good old fashioned lighting arrangement too but it's fun to dream and plan these enhancements sometimes!
Yes I feel that the options for string lights are limitless! As you've mentioned, they can easily turn a simple space into a magical and cozy haven.

I enjoy envisioning creative uses for them too - perhaps one day, if we ever move to a bigger place, I might create a little cafe-style nook with hanging plants and some twinkly lights above the breakfast table. That would be a lovely way to brighten up a dining area.

For now, I'll keep admiring all the wonderful ideas out there and dreaming of the possibilities! It's fun to let our imaginations run wild.

Keep dreaming and imagining - it's a wonderful way to come up with creative design ideas! I love the cafe-style nook idea, especially with the hanging plants and twinkly lights. It'd be so lovely to have a bright and cheerful breakfast spot like that.

The great thing about string lights is their versatility - they can create such a cozy and warm ambiance, perfect for any occasion. I'm sure your space will turn out amazing!

Keep dreaming and imagining - it's a wonderful way to come up with creative design ideas! I love the cafe-style nook idea, especially with the hanging plants and twinkly lights. It'd be so lovely to have a bright and cheerful breakfast spot like that.

The great thing about string lights is their versatility - they can create such a cozy and warm ambiance, perfect for any occasion. I'm sure your space will turn out amazing!
It's true that dreaming up these enhancements is half the fun. I'm already envisioning the delightful meals and delightful times I could have in such a nook, surrounded by greenery and twinkling lights - very relaxing

Reactions: cissy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu