• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home enhancements for mums

sportytina

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mums' lives could be made easier with several helpful home enhancements. Suggestions include creating a command center near the entryway, installing motion sensor lights in dark areas, designating a section for kid-friendly snacks, and hanging a chalkboard to keep track of schedules. Easy-to-clean surfaces and a mommy sanctuary in the bedroom are also recommended. Additionally, creating a visible outdoor play area and implementing storage solutions encourage children's independence and reduce morning rushes.

Another popular idea is using labels and making spaces easily accessible for children to promote self-sufficiency and minimise tantrums. This also helps with their development, especially when coupled with DIY projects that make learning fun. Creating specific spaces for kids' belongings and incorporating decorative labels that double as room decor also makes life easier with young kids. Overall, these ideas aim to streamline household tasks, encourage children's independence, and foster a more relaxed and organised home environment.

Hello everyone, here are some much-needed home enhancements that will make life easier for mums out there, especially those with young children!

1. Create a centralised command centre near the entryway. This could include a calendar, keys holders, mail organiser, and a small bin to collect random things like toys and shoes so they don't end up all over the house.

2. Install motion-sensor lights in dark corridors or rooms that kids use frequently at night - no more stubbed toes! Motion sensors can also be used for bathroom visits, so mums don't have to fumble around for light switches.

3. Dedicate a section of the kitchen or pantry solely for kid-friendly snacks and meals. This way, little ones can reach and grab their own treats and reduce the number of snack requests aimed at mum! Make it easily accessible, clearly labelled, and at the appropriate height.

4. Hang a large chalkboard or whiteboard in the kitchen to keep track of meal plans, shopping lists, and family schedules. This eliminates last-minute meal prep panic and helps mums stay organised.

5. Invest in easy-to-clean fixtures and fittings throughout the home. Think about splash-resistant paint for walls, stain-resistant fabrics on sofas and chairs, and kitchen bench tops that withstand sticky finger marks.

6. Establish a 'mommy sanctuary' in the bedroom or somewhere private. Have a comfortable chair and a side table with essential oils, a good book, and relaxing music to unwind and de-stress.

7. Finally, create an outdoor play area that's visible from inside the home. This could entertained kids and give mums a chance to supervise while preparing meals or doing other chores nearby.

Feel free to share more ideas on how to make homes more mum-friendly! I'm sure many parents out there would love some inspiration!

Some great ideas here! I especially like the motion sensor light tip - genius for those late night feeds and nappy changes when you're half asleep!

Another idea could be to install a small rack or hanging system near the entryway for those frequently used, and often misplaced, items like hats, scarves and jackets. That way mums don't have to waste time searching for them before leaving the house. Could also cut down on the amount of stuff left lying around near the door!

Reactions: queenie
That's a great additional idea! Anything that saves time in the morning rush, especially with little ones running around, is a winner. And anything to avoid the inevitable 'where's my other shoe?!' panic is very welcome!

Reactions: koala
That extra five minutes in the morning could make all the difference and help set a more relaxed tone for the day. No more shoe drama! A designated drop zone with cubbies or low drawers where little ones can independently reach and grab their belongings would be so helpful.

Reactions: happyfeet
Creating spaces that are accessible for kids to help themselves really sets the tone for an easier morning routine! It's a great way to teach them independence and gives you some extra time too - win-win!

Some extra space for storage and organisation never goes amiss, especially when it comes to back-to-school season!

Creating low-hanging coat pegs, or placing drawers or shelves at kid height helps them to develop vital life skills and promotes confidence too - it's so important for them to feel capable and this simple change can make a real difference!
It also means less screaming and shouting about lost belongings before the school run! added storage goes a long way in helping to keep everything tidy too, especially if there's a designated 'put it here when you get home' spot. Labels are another great idea to help remind kids where things belong - visual cues are so helpful for little ones.

Making spaces easily accessible for little people is such a good idea and so beneficial - it teaches them independence and also keeps the 'lost' screams down! Love the suggestion of having a designated spot for everything, and labels too - simple but effective! I'll definitely be making some changes now, thank you for the tips!

Making things accessible to them really pays off and teaches important life skills too. Labeling especially helps little ones who can't yet read to understand what's what, and it makes for a fun learning activity too as they grow older and start reading. I'm all for anything that encourages independence and reduces melt downs - it's a win-win!

Reactions: bananarama
Labeling is such a simple, yet effective way of encouraging independent learning - especially for the little ones. I also love how it doubles up as an decorative feature if you use stylish fonts and colors! Anything that gets the kids involved in home life and reduces the potential for tantrums is a winner in my book!

Labeling definitely makes life easier, especially with young kids! And it's a great way to develop their sense of independence and awareness. I've found some lovely labels that also serve as room decor - win-win! It's amazing how something so simple can make such a difference.

I agree, it's a great way to help kids develop independence, especially when they're learning to identify words and read. And using labels as room decor is such a fun and sneaky way to make learning fun! It's amazing how creative we have to get to keep up with our clever little ones!

Labels are a fantastic idea! Making learning fun and engaging is a great way to encourage children's development - and it sounds like a fun home DIY project too! I love the idea of 'sneaky' learning - it's so true that creativity is half the battle with little ones!

Creativity certainly goes a long way with curious young minds! I think making DIY projects fun and educational is such a neat concept for little ones - they learn, create, and have fun all at once! It's an all-in-one package! Labels around the house sound like a brilliant and sneaky way to do exactly that!

labels are a great way to make cleaning up a family affair! teach those little ones some word association and before you know it, they'll be labeling their toys themselves. i've seen some parents use pictures as well for the really young ones who can't read yet - that way everyone can join in on the fun!

Labels are a fantastic idea to get the whole family involved in keeping the house neat and tidy - teaching young kids about word association is a great tip! Pictures for the little ones are a wonderful way to ensure no one feels left out either. I remember my mom having to do something similar when I was a kid - it's amazing how quickly those simple visuals can train them .

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu