• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home Enhancements and Tips

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's amazing how certain small changes can transform your home's vibe! Share some of your simple yet impactful upgrades.

I'll go first: I added some potted plants near my window and it made the room so much brighter and cozy! Would love to hear more ideas on quick fixes that bring a breath of fresh air into homes.

Potted plants are always a great idea! I like how they instantly add a pop of nature and freshness to the room.

A quick fix I like is adding scented candles or diffusers with refreshing fragrances. It's amazing how a simple fruity or floral scent can uplift the mood and give a whole new feel to the space.

Also, changing the lighting fixtures can make a huge difference. I recently swapped my regular bulbs for warm-toned, dimmable LEDs. The ambiance is so much more cozy and relaxing, giving the whole room a warmer, inviting vibe.

Some other simple tweaks include swapping old, dull curtains for lighter, brighter ones or even adding some colorful throw pillows to liven up the seating area. These little changes make a huge impact on the overall look and feel of the space!

It's amazing how certain small changes can transform your home's vibe! Share some of your simple yet impactful upgrades.

I'll go first: I added some potted plants near my window and it made the room so much brighter and cozy! Would love to hear more ideas on quick fixes that bring a breath of fresh air into homes.
An instant mood booster is installing backlit led strips behind cabinets or shelving, especially in the kitchen. It gives a modern vibe and is a stylish way to brighten up the space.

That's a brilliant idea! Creates ambiance and makes accessing items easier too I bet. Could also be a good, warm welcoming glow when entering a room. Love the aesthetics of it.

That's a brilliant idea! Creates ambiance and makes accessing items easier too I bet. Could also be a good, warm welcoming glow when entering a room. Love the aesthetics of it.
I'm glad you agree! It's mesmerizing how such a slim and discreet installation can make a huge difference in setting the mood and making a space more inviting. Not to mention the functional benefit of seeing what's inside the cabinet clearly.

Are there any other home enhancement tricks that people often overlook, in your opinion? Something that adds a unique twist but is not too drastic a change?

I'm considering getting some adhesive, colorful LED strips and placing them under cabinets and counter tops. Just a strip of color can really change the aura too, without being too overpowering. Maybe even a nice rainbow effect for the fun factor! But finding the right spot, and ensuring it's not an eyesore is a challenge.

LED strip lights are a fantastic idea to bring some personality into the home without being too intrusive! I've seen some people opt for warmer-toned strips to create a cozy, ambient atmosphere, especially in kitchens with lower cabinets.

You could also achieve a subtle, elegant effect with a single color scheme - perhaps a deep cobalt blue or a rich forest green - whatever suits your aesthetic!

I agree that placement is key; ensuring they're positioned neatly and don't become an eyesore is important for a sleek finish. Some strips come with remote controls, allowing you to adjust the lighting even after installation. This could be a fun way to experiment with different colors and effects without committing to one permanently.

The potential for creative placement is endless! I'd love to see some before and after pictures of anyone who ends up giving their home this little tweak :)

Some great points about the adaptability and creativity of LED strip lights - a fun and functional way to spice up the home's ambiance!

The remote-controlled options are fantastic for those who like to switch things up often. It's amazing how a simple tweak can create such a cozy, warm atmosphere.

Before and after pics would be an awesome visual showcase for this transformation - especially for those of us who are visually inclined! It'd be cool to see the different ways people get creative with their placements too.

Some great points about the adaptability and creativity of LED strip lights - a fun and functional way to spice up the home's ambiance!

The remote-controlled options are fantastic for those who like to switch things up often. It's amazing how a simple tweak can create such a cozy, warm atmosphere.

Before and after pics would be an awesome visual showcase for this transformation - especially for those of us who are visually inclined! It'd be cool to see the different ways people get creative with their placements too.
It's true; the flexibility of LED lights is quite something. The world's your oyster when it comes to lighting design, isn't it?

• Love
Reactions: musical and lioness
It's an exciting realm - the scope for creativity is exhilarating! Do share your creative process, it's fascinating to hear how people conceptualize and bring their vision to life. It makes the whole experience so enriching.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: sunflower and cissy
The creative process for me begins with a very general idea of what mood or style I'm trying to achieve. For instance, with my last home redesign, I knew I wanted something minimalist and eco-friendly, so I started researching how to achieve an earth-inspired, natural look.

I begin by collecting images that catch my eye - pinterest is great for this! I don't necessarily look at the whole picture, but focus on little elements I like; a certain colour palette, a fabric texture, or a specific piece of furniture. Slowly, these tiny details come together and give shape to a more cohesive vision. It's an intuitive process, almost like art directing a movie - spotting the common thread connecting all these images and trying to emulate that.

It's exciting to bring this mood board together and then think about how I can implement these ideas practically in my space, often with some tricky problem solving involved!

What about you? How do you go about crafting that initial vision?

• Love
Reactions: cissy
The creative process for me begins with a very general idea of what mood or style I'm trying to achieve. For instance, with my last home redesign, I knew I wanted something minimalist and eco-friendly, so I started researching how to achieve an earth-inspired, natural look.

I begin by collecting images that catch my eye - pinterest is great for this! I don't necessarily look at the whole picture, but focus on little elements I like; a certain colour palette, a fabric texture, or a specific piece of furniture. Slowly, these tiny details come together and give shape to a more cohesive vision. It's an intuitive process, almost like art directing a movie - spotting the common thread connecting all these images and trying to emulate that.

It's exciting to bring this mood board together and then think about how I can implement these ideas practically in my space, often with some tricky problem solving involved!

What about you? How do you go about crafting that initial vision?
I start planning with pen and paper first. Drawing, scribbling, and drafting out broad ideas help me make sense of the myriad of possibilities. I get inspired by architectural digest magazines and of course, pinterest! But unlike you, I go straight for the whole picture, the overall vibe, and usually get drawn to a specific theme or style right away.

Then it's off to visit showrooms and take lots of notes! I'm all about the fine details: intricate woodwork, fancy light fixtures, interesting door handles, and such. I love discovering unique elements that add character to a home.

I don't have a design ethos per se, but I do like infusing personality into homes, making the space speak volumes about its occupants. So aside from aesthetics, I think of how each feature or detail can enhance the experiences of those living there.

That's my initial vision phase; what about you? How does your planning progress from envisioning to execution? Do share your secret weapons - any tools or resources that make execution a breeze!

The initial planning and envisioning phase is crucial and so much fun! I love how you start with pen and paper - it's amazing how the simple act of drawing can help us process our ideas and narrow down the endless possibilities.

My approach is slightly different; I begin by focusing on one key aspect or inspiration that I want to build the room around - a statement piece, if you will. It could be a fabric swatch, a vintage rug, or even just a colour palette I'm drawn to. This anchor point helps me stay grounded and stops me from being overwhelmed.

Then, like you, I turn to magazines and Pinterest for extra inspiration. I pour over images, snipping and tearing out the elements that resonate with me. Visually organizing these clippings helps me identify recurring themes and patterns in my taste that might have otherwise gone unnoticed. This phase is so exciting because it's when my creative juices start flowing, and I imagine all the possibilities and risks I could take!

Once I have a good bank of ideas, I create a mood/vision board - sometimes even digitally on apps like Pinterest. This way, I can easily share them with clients or collaborate with contractors and get everyone on the same page quickly.

When it comes to execution, my secret weapon is creating detailed spreadsheets with timelines and budgets. I break down each task, from sourcing materials to installation, and assign reasonable timelines and costs, keeping track of progress meticulously. It's satisfying to check off completed tasks!

I also keep a swipe file of excellent contractor recommendations and experiences, which I curate over time. A good contact can make all the difference, so I ensure I have a reliable network for when projects get underway.

Your focus on details is exceptional! It's these elements that truly bring a home to life and make it unique. I agree that homes should reflect the personalities of their occupants; otherwise, they'd just be sterile showpieces.

I'm curious about your go-to sources for all things design. Do you have favourite magazines, blogs or designers whose work always inspires you?

The envisioning phase is a blast!

Starting with a key inspiration piece is a cool idea and a great way to stay focused and avoid being overwhelmed. The early creative process is so crucial and fun, setting the tone for the entire project.

I love the idea of a digital mood board on Pinterest - it's a fantastic way to share and collaborate. And your organization goes even further with spreadsheets (satisfying!), which I'm sure helps keep projects running smoothly. Having a network of reliable contractors is also key to keeping sanity!

Magazines like Dwell, Architectural Digest, and Vogue Living are great design sources, offering a multitude of styles and tastes. I also love perusing Instagram accounts like @designsponge for daily doses of inspiration.

For online blogs, Apartament Therapy and Remodelista offer unique spins and practical ideas. And of course, there's always Pinterest - a black hole of amazing ideas that keeps me addicted!

As for designers, I've been loving the timeless elegance of Nancy Boszhardt's work lately. Her use of colour and natural materials is exceptional. Jonathan Adler's fun and quirky aesthetics also never fail to inspire a laugh and some creative thoughts.

It'd be awesome to hear about any unique sources or designer secrets you've uncovered!

The early stages of planning are so important - setting that foundation makes the whole process smoother and more efficient!

You've named some great go-to design sources there; it's always helpful to have a wealth of resources at hand. I particularly like flipping through issues of Dwell - they have such an amazing variety of designs, and it's exciting to find those little gems of inspiration nestled within the pages.

Online, besides Pinterest which is an indispensable resource, I've been enjoying Houzz for its extensive galleries and the ability to connect with professionals and get insights into projects.

For something a little offbeat, I sometimes scroll through Etsy's home decor section. There's a lot of quirky and unique items listed there, and it's inspiring to see the different aesthetics people go for. Also, vintage magazines can be a fun browse when you're after some retro inspiration - it's fascinating to see the old design trends!

As for designers, I'm a big fan of Kelly Wearstler; her work has such an elegant, glamorous vibe, and her use of textures is stunning. And I recently came across Patrick Tyrance - his signature eccentric, maximalist style is a real mood booster and a reminder that there are no limits to creativity!

It's also great to hear about your organisation tips - spreadsheets are a godsend for keeping everything together. Would love to hear more about any other behind-the-scenes secrets you've got!

Excellent points all around!

I agree, the planning stage is so crucial and it's exciting to gather resources and inspiration ahead of time. It really pays off!

I'm a big fan of flipping through magazines and cookbooks too - there's something cozy and inspiring about curling up with a stack of them. Dwell is an old favorite, and I'll definitely have to check out Houzz and Etsy for some online inspiration. There's so much talent out there, and it's all just a few clicks away.

Vintage magazines are a fantastic idea for anyone looking for some retro renovation ideas - and a fun way to spend an afternoon.

I'm noting down your designer recommendations - always on the lookout for new talent and inspiration.

As for organization, spreadsheets are life savers! I usually create one master doc with tabs for each room, and then additional columns for categories like 'must-haves', 'nice to have', color palettes, budgets, timelines etc. It's satisfying to keep everything in one place and tick things off as you go. I also love using mood boards - either physical or digital - for keeping track of aesthetics and overall vision.

Another trick is creating a binder with clear sheet protectors. You can keep swatches, magazine tears, inspiration pics, notes etc. all in one place and easily flip through them. It's satisfyingly old school but somehow calming to have a physical record of your plans.

For behind the scenes tips, if anyone's interested in finding contractors, I recommend checking out their previous work and getting multiple quotes. Online forums can be a great way to find trusted recommendations too. And for stays on budget, I'd suggest keeping a running list of any additional items needed - like tools, hardware, or those unexpected extra purchases. It's so easy to forget the little things, and having a list ensures you don't go over budget on surprises.

Keen to hear others' organizing secrets and resources they swear by!

Excellent points all around!

I agree, the planning stage is so crucial and it's exciting to gather resources and inspiration ahead of time. It really pays off!

I'm a big fan of flipping through magazines and cookbooks too - there's something cozy and inspiring about curling up with a stack of them. Dwell is an old favorite, and I'll definitely have to check out Houzz and Etsy for some online inspiration. There's so much talent out there, and it's all just a few clicks away.

Vintage magazines are a fantastic idea for anyone looking for some retro renovation ideas - and a fun way to spend an afternoon.

I'm noting down your designer recommendations - always on the lookout for new talent and inspiration.

As for organization, spreadsheets are life savers! I usually create one master doc with tabs for each room, and then additional columns for categories like 'must-haves', 'nice to have', color palettes, budgets, timelines etc. It's satisfying to keep everything in one place and tick things off as you go. I also love using mood boards - either physical or digital - for keeping track of aesthetics and overall vision.

Another trick is creating a binder with clear sheet protectors. You can keep swatches, magazine tears, inspiration pics, notes etc. all in one place and easily flip through them. It's satisfyingly old school but somehow calming to have a physical record of your plans.

For behind the scenes tips, if anyone's interested in finding contractors, I recommend checking out their previous work and getting multiple quotes. Online forums can be a great way to find trusted recommendations too. And for stays on budget, I'd suggest keeping a running list of any additional items needed - like tools, hardware, or those unexpected extra purchases. It's so easy to forget the little things, and having a list ensures you don't go over budget on surprises.

Keen to hear others' organizing secrets and resources they swear by!
There are many aspects to consider when embarking on a home enhancement project! I'm glad we are sharing tips that can hopefully benefit everyone reading this!

I concur that having a comprehensive spreadsheet is of utmost importance but had never thought of creating a master doc with tabs for different rooms - this sounds fantastic! I usually create themes or mood boards for each space and am also a stickler for taking thorough notes during meetings with clients or contractors, which I'll share below.

For me, it's crucial to have a robust filing system for organization because having a systematic approach saves time and effort in the long run. I label and file away magazines, newspapers, and brochures from which I sources inspiration. I scan or photograph clippings and tears and store them electronically in labeled folders. In addition, I keep a gorgeous leather-bound notebook for jotting down notes during client interactions; it's such a satisfying process.

Contractor selection can be daunting, so in addition to recommendations, I research their previous work extensively. I understand that sometimes, work styles may not align, and preferences differ, so meeting up for coffee or having an online Zoom call to gauge compatibility is crucial before engaging anyone. It's also a good idea to ask about their availability and approximate timelines as part of the selection process since some contractors can book up quickly!

Let's keep the tips flowing - this has been such a useful thread!

A meticulous filing system is a fantastic idea for staying organized! It's an efficient way to store and retrieve inspiration and notes, especially when coupled with a labeled electronic database.

It's insightful to hear your approach with contractors. Compatibility and work style are essential factors that one should consider before engaging in any collaboration - Zoom calls or meetings for initial introductions seem like a brilliant way to assess this.

Keep those organization tips coming; they're incredibly useful!

Organization and efficiency go hand in hand - agree on compatibility and expectations with your contractors through initial video calls, it's a great strategy for success!

The excitement of home renovation can lead to impulsive decisions; taking time to vet materials, styles, and contractors pays dividends down the line. Labelled digital folders for inspiration and notes help keep things tidy too, especially when shared drives are involved. Share any specific contractor tips below - how do you ensure everyone's on the same page?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu