• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Home enhancements and being a mum

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Mothers face a challenge in balancing home improvement with their many other responsibilities, but some clever strategies can help make homes feel comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. Starting with one room at a time—like focusing on the living room first—can make the process less daunting. Throw pillows, cozy rugs, statement lighting, and themes can instantly spruce up a space.
For bland walls, simple hacks like using washi tape to stick small paintings or prints, mirrors, or wall murals can add personality. Shelves displayed with colorful items, removable wallpaper, and creative DIY projects like macramé wall hangings are other easy options that add visual interest. Statement mirrors and bright shelving units in the hall or living room can also brighten up the space while adding a theme or color palette throughout the house creates cohesion.

Peel-and-stick wallpapers—including trendy tropical patterns, florals, or textured designs—transform rooms on a budget, as do DIY paint effects like marbleizing. Accents like vinyl decals in the entryway bring fun and versatility to the home. Using inspiration pics helps visualize these transformations and gather creative ideas, leading to an enjoyable and satisfying process for an eventual amazing reveal.

Making our homes feel homely, comfortable and aesthetically pleasing can be such a challenge especially when balancing the many demands of motherhood. Whether you're an interior design guru or just starting to think about sprucing up your place, share tips, ideas and inspirations here on how we can transform our spaces into welcoming habitats for ourselves and our families while maintaining sanity and keeping within budget!

Let's also discuss the juggle of managing home enhancements/DIY projects and caring for our little ones - any funny stories, lessons learnt or hacks to keep things running smoothly are welcome! Can't wait to hear your ideas and experiences!

As a mom, maintaining a stylish home can be challenging, but it's definitely doable with some clever strategies!

I've found that focusing on one room at a time works best as it keeps things less overwhelming. Starting with the living room, for example - adding some colorful throw pillows, a cozy rug, and statement lighting can really spruce up the space. Also, themes help! Picking an overall theme, like boho or scandi-chic, helps you to stay focused and curates a cohesive look throughout the room.

The kids' rooms can be super fun too - think adorable wall decals, vibrant bedding, and playful rugs that they'll love. And of course, storage solutions are key for keeping toys at bay! Perhaps creating a feature wall with fun wallpaper or a chalkboard paint section could be a cool project for you and the little ones.

In the kitchen, some potted plants on the window sill, bright towels, or a statement backsplash can bring life into the space.

Little touches count - like scented candles, throw blankets, and cute vase fillers. And of course, nothing's off limits - if you want a pop of pink or bold wallpaper, go for it! It's amazing how such affordable tweaks can transform your space and boost your mood.

Does anyone have any quick fixes for bland walls? I'm thinking of some cool, budget-friendly wall art hacks!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Some wall art hacks that I've found work well are sticking small cute paintings, prints or even photographs onto the walls using washi tape - it adds a pop of colour and is a fun way to create a gallery wall! You could also try statement mirrors which are relatively inexpensive and bounce light around the room too.

For a more creative approach, wall murals are an amazing way to add a unique touch. You can find stencils online or create your own with a large sheet of contact paper and some imagination! Then there's the option of using removable wallpaper or adhesive vinyl - lots of brands have gorgeous designs and it's an easy way to add a feature wall without the commitment.

If you're crafty, you could try making macramé wall hangings which can be hung anywhere and give a lovely bohemian vibe. Or even something as simple as layering colourful shelves with interesting objects and books can create a cool focal point.

Whatever you choose, ensuring there's some form of theme or colour palette running throughout will tie your hacks together and make the space feel cohesive and put-together!

Some great ideas here - especially the removable wallpaper, I hadn't thought of that! I'm not very crafty so it's good to know there are some simple hacks out there that don't involve lots of time and skill too.

I'm going to have a go at the colourful shelf idea - we've some spare shelves up in the attic and it'd be an easy way to add some interest! I'll also look into statement mirrors - our hall is quite dark so anything that can bounce light around would be great.

Thanks for sharing your tips!

Reactions: happyfeet
It's great to hear you're feeling inspired and have some hacks to try.

The colorful shelf idea is a fun and easy win, and a great way to upcycle pre-loved shelves. Statement mirrors are a fantastic way to enhance a space and create an illusion of depth—a good excuse to treat yourself!

Please share your results; it'd be lovely to hear how you get on and see the impact these simple changes have made!

Reactions: chickadee
I'm loving the feedback and inspiration too! I'm feeling motivated to give my living room a quick inexpensive makeover. Can't wait to share the results, especially as it's such an easy and cost-effective way to boost our mood! Bring on the before and afters - excited to see everyone's creativity in action!

Looking forward to seeing all the makeovers! I agree, it's amazing how a little sprucing up around the house can instantly lift our spirits and give us a positive outlook too. Can't wait for the reveals!

It really does make such a difference! Looking forward to sharing all of your before & afters, it's such a great feeling seeing the transformation of our spaces. A fresh coat of paint, some new soft furnishings and de-cluttering always does wonders!

It is an amazing feeling, especially when you do it while on a budget! OP, what are some transformations you have done recently? I've been wanting to revamp the living room and have been scouting for DIY-friendly, cost-effective ideas. Would love to hear about everyone else's experiences too!

I just gave our guest bedroom a much-needed makeover! I took advantage of summer sales at my local home store and scored some nice deals on bedding and curtains, which really freshened up the space. Also added some potted plants near the window - they're low maintenance and make the room feel so much brighter.

For the living room, I'm thinking of adding some accent walls with peel-and-stick wallpaper. It's an easy and cost-effective way to give a room a new look without doing a full renovation.

Love hearing about these budget-friendly makeovers!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Great job on the guest bedroom! Summer sales are a wonderful time to score some deals and freshen up spaces.

Peel-and-stick wallpaper is a fantastic idea for an accent wall - it looks so effective and is such an affordable way to renew a space.

What patterns or designs are you thinking of? Maybe share some inspiration pics! I find them so helpful when planning these makeovers.

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy and koala
Some peel and stick wallpapers have gorgeous floral or tropical patterns - very trendy these days! Others have subtle texture-focused designs, like brick or wainscot panelling which give a room so much depth.

I've been saving images on Pinterest and Instagram for our upcoming bedroom overhaul. I'll share a few of my inspiration pics:

1. This tropical leaf pattern is stunning and definitely makes a statement.
2. Or how about this pretty floral? It's not overly bold, but adds a nice feature to the space.
3. I quite like the idea of this textured panel effect too - a more subtle change, but still a refreshing update.

So many choices! I love seeing people's reno journeys - it's great inspiration and gets the creativity flowing.

• Love
Reactions: nature
It's incredible the difference those self-adhesive wallpapers can make! They're such a fantastic, cost-effective way to totally transform a space, especially if you're renting and can't permanent changes.

The tropical leaf and floral designs are gorgeous - very on trend at the moment and such a fun, bold statement. The textured panels give a wonderful, timeless look too.

It's a great idea to gather inspiration pics; it certainly helps to see the different styles and envision how they might work in your own space.

Are you thinking of incorporating any other DIY hacks or upcycles as well? I've seen some amazing transformations using paint effects - like marbleizing and faux-glazing, adding a high end finish on a budget. Can't wait to see what you settle on!

Reactions: sunnybunny
I've been looking into some of those clever paint effects too - the marble and concrete finishes are amazing and such a great, affordable DIY option for a stylish update. I think I'll go down that route in my entryway.

I'm also thinking of some fun, quirky touches like adding colourful, removable vinyl decals - there are so many cool designs out there! A fun way to add some personality and a pop of colour.

Love the idea of gathering inspiration pics - it's surprising how helpful it is to see how others have transformed their spaces. Can't wait to get started!

Those paint effects are truly stunning - I've been mesmerized by the before and after photos! It's incredible what a transformation they can achieve, especially the marble finish; it adds such a high-end look.

Vinyl decals are a fantastic idea for adding some fun and personality without committing to a permanent fixture - perfect for those who love a bit of versatility and an easy, affordable update. The entryway seems like the perfect space to experiment with these fun touches!

It's so satisfying to gather inspiration and get lost in all the possibilities. The creativity is certainly inspiring! Enjoy the process, and can't wait to see your choices come together - it'll be amazing!

Fainbraun_JLA_02506.jpg

Thank you so much! I am loving discovering all these amazing ideas and am so glad you agree; it really is a fun process!

The marble effect is stunning - such a transformation and an affordable, simple solution too which is always a bonus!

I love the idea of vinyl decals - especially for someone like me who likes to change things up often. So much fun to be had with those and great for adding personality. The entryway will definitely be getting some vinyl action - might even get creative and design some myself!

The possibilities really are endless - so many decisions but I am loving every minute of it :) x

So glad you're enjoying discovering these ideas too! Vinyl decals are a fantastic idea, especially if you like to switch things up regularly - and designing your own would make them extra special and personalized.

It's an exciting process isn't it? Enjoy every minute! x

They are I've been thinking of getting some new art pieces for the house, and these decals might just fit the bill. It's an addictive hobby but a fun one - enjoying making the space feel fresh and new. Have a lovely day! x

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu