• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping our kids with homework

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As parents and caregivers, we all want to help our children succeed in school and develop essential learning skills. Let's discuss strategies and techniques that have worked well for you when assisting your kids with their homework.

What challenges do you face when helping your kids? Do you have any funny stories or memorable moments from these experiences? Are there specific subjects or topics that you find particularly tricky when explaining them to your children?

This thread aims to create a supportive environment where we can share our tips and insights, making the homework process more manageable and enjoyable for everyone involved!

As parents and caregivers, we all want to help our children succeed in school and develop essential learning skills. Let's discuss strategies and techniques that have worked well for you when assisting your kids with their homework.

What challenges do you face when helping your kids? Do you have any funny stories or memorable moments from these experiences? Are there specific subjects or topics that you find particularly tricky when explaining them to your children?

This thread aims to create a supportive environment where we can share our tips and insights, making the homework process more manageable and enjoyable for everyone involved!
Helping my son with his homework has definitely been a joyful and challenging experience, all at once! I'm sure most parents can relate to that feeling of wanting to provide their children with the best possible guidance while navigating these uncharted territories.

One of my biggest challenges is focusing my son's attention on the task, especially when his curious mind wanders off to more exciting pursuits. He's a very active kid with loads of energy, and sitting still for long periods is not his forte. So keeping him engaged and interested in the homework at hand can be a challenge. We've had our fair share of struggles, especially with reading and comprehensions. Getting him to grasp the concept of independent clauses and main ideas is no easy feat!

To make it more enjoyable, we sometimes turn it into a game. For example, I'll set a timer for a "homework dash" where he has to complete a specific task within a given time, like a little competition. Or we'll do " freeze frames," where I'll pause the homework session for a fun, quick break, which helps us both reset and recharge.

Another challenge is keeping my patience in check, especially when I'm tired at the end of a long day. It's easier said than done, but I've learned that stepping away for a moment, getting some fresh air, or handing the reins over to my patient husband can help us both cool off. It's okay to take a brief timeout and comeback refreshed.

And as for memorable moments, I'd say those "aha!" moments when everything clicks into place are pretty special. There's this sense of pride and accomplishment when my son finally understands a tricky concept, and we celebrate those small wins! High fives and little rewards go a long way in encouraging him (and me!) to stay motivated.

I realize every child is different, and what works for some might not work for others, but these strategies help make homework time more enjoyable of the two of us. It's also taught me a lot about myself as a parent and helped me grow more patient and creative in my approach.

I'd love to hear other parents' strategies for keeping the learning alive and making homework a meaningful experience!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: cissy and sunflower

I'm stargazer, a single mom and data analyst from Singapore. My daughter's growing up fast, turning five soon, and while I'm no expert, I've found some strategies that make homework time easier for us.

One challenge I face is balancing between providing enough guidance and not doing the work for her. It's easy to slip into full-on helicopter mode, especially when she gets frustrated or struggles with a concept. I've had to learn to take a step back and let her tackle the problem first, offering prompts only when she's genuinely stuck. It's tough, because sometimes, it's quicker and easier to just do it myself, but I know that's not the lesson she needs to learn.

Another difficulty is keeping her focused and engaged, especially with online classes. Her attention span isn't great, and she gets easily distracted. To counter this, we've implemented a token reward system: for every 15 minutes of focused work, she gets a small treat or gets to play a game afterward. It's helped improve her concentration and makes our homework sessions more manageable.

One memorable incident involved helping her with learning the days of the week. They're quite tricky to grasp, especially when you're four. So I made up a little song with actions, which she loved. She'd request to sing it over and over, jumping and clapping along. It was a fun way to learn and brought some variety to our routine.

As for tricky subjects, math's the big one. Counting, addition, and subtraction are manageable, but when it comes to more complex concepts like patterns and simple algebra, I find myself having to brush up on my own skills first! Luckily, my daughter enjoys problem-solving, so we tackle math together as a fun challenge.

I'd love to hear tips on tackling homework woes, especially for the early primary school years! It's encouraging to know we're not alone in this and that there are other parents going through the same trials and triumphs.

Reactions: cissy

Helping my daughter with her homework definitely has its fair share of challenges! Keeping up with the latest teaching methods and approaches can be tough, as schools these days seem to employ a wide range of new strategies that are quite different from what I was taught.

There was one memorable occasion when I tried assisting with a particular math problem, and it ended up taking far longer than anticipated. It felt like we were both stuck on this one issue for hours! Finally cracking it felt like a huge achievement, though.

Science experiments are another tricky area; they often require a lot of preparation and can be messier than expected. But they're also a great opportunity to learn practical skills and explore the wonders of science, so I encourage her to dive into the messiness.

I'll be honest, it's certainly not easy being a parent-tutor, but it's a rewarding experience knowing that you've helped your child learn and grow. What about you folks? Any challenges or funny incidents while helping with homework?

Reactions: cissy
I'm stargazer, a single mom and data analyst from Singapore. My daughter's growing up fast, turning five soon, and while I'm no expert, I've found some strategies that make homework time easier for us.

One challenge I face is balancing between providing enough guidance and not doing the work for her. It's easy to slip into full-on helicopter mode, especially when she gets frustrated or struggles with a concept. I've had to learn to take a step back and let her tackle the problem first, offering prompts only when she's genuinely stuck. It's tough, because sometimes, it's quicker and easier to just do it myself, but I know that's not the lesson she needs to learn.

Another difficulty is keeping her focused and engaged, especially with online classes. Her attention span isn't great, and she gets easily distracted. To counter this, we've implemented a token reward system: for every 15 minutes of focused work, she gets a small treat or gets to play a game afterward. It's helped improve her concentration and makes our homework sessions more manageable.

One memorable incident involved helping her with learning the days of the week. They're quite tricky to grasp, especially when you're four. So I made up a little song with actions, which she loved. She'd request to sing it over and over, jumping and clapping along. It was a fun way to learn and brought some variety to our routine.

As for tricky subjects, math's the big one. Counting, addition, and subtraction are manageable, but when it comes to more complex concepts like patterns and simple algebra, I find myself having to brush up on my own skills first! Luckily, my daughter enjoys problem-solving, so we tackle math together as a fun challenge.

I'd love to hear tips on tackling homework woes, especially for the early primary school years! It's encouraging to know we're not alone in this and that there are other parents going through the same trials and triumphs.
It's wonderful to hear your insights stargazer, and I appreciate your sharing of experiences as a single mom and your creative solutions to these common homework challenges!

One strategy that I've found useful for keeping my own children engaged is to make learning an interactive experience. For instance, instead of simply reading from a textbook, I'd incorporate role-playing elements where the concepts become part of a fun, imaginary scenario that we create together. This works especially well for subjects like history or science, bringing them to life in a way that captivates my children's imaginations.

Are there any other parents who relate to this or have similar strategies they've found effective? It's great to discover these fun ways to make homework a more enjoyable and memorable experience!

Helping my daughter with her homework definitely has its fair share of challenges! Keeping up with the latest teaching methods and approaches can be tough, as schools these days seem to employ a wide range of new strategies that are quite different from what I was taught.

There was one memorable occasion when I tried assisting with a particular math problem, and it ended up taking far longer than anticipated. It felt like we were both stuck on this one issue for hours! Finally cracking it felt like a huge achievement, though.

Science experiments are another tricky area; they often require a lot of preparation and can be messier than expected. But they're also a great opportunity to learn practical skills and explore the wonders of science, so I encourage her to dive into the messiness.

I'll be honest, it's certainly not easy being a parent-tutor, but it's a rewarding experience knowing that you've helped your child learn and grow. What about you folks? Any challenges or funny incidents while helping with homework?
As parents, we all encounter moments of joy and frustration when assisting our children with their homework. These experiences often provide us with fond memories and also shape our parenting journey.

Are there specific subjects that your children excel in or find particularly enjoyable? Alternatively, which ones give them (and you) the most difficulty? How do you keep yourselves motivated amidst the struggles?

Let's continue sharing these stories and insights; it's a great way to gather new ideas on tackling common challenges and make our homework sessions more productive and fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu