• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With School Work

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wanted to start a thread to discuss ways we can help our kids with their school work.
It can be tricky and sometimes we may not know the answers! So this is a place to share tips on how we tackle it.

What strategies do you use when your child needs help with an assignment, especially if it's in an area you aren't familiar with? How do you approach research projects or prepare for upcoming exams together? Do you have any recommendations for online resources that are helpful, or maybe some fun apps? Or even ways to make learning a little more fun?
Let's share our tips and tricks here!

I think one of the most important strategies is to encourage your child's curiosity and autonomy, especially as they get older. It's easy for us parents to jump in and offer solutions, but I try to resist the urge and instead guide their process.

For research projects, which can be intimidating for kids (and parents!), I suggest breaking down the steps and making a plan. First, identify the key questions or topics, then find the resources - Encourage your child to use the school library first; online resources can come next if needed. Search engines like Google can be daunting, so I find putting parameters on keywords helps - 'country information' rather than just 'culture', for example.

I also keep a stock of fun, educational apps and games. Some are specifically for learning times tables or language, but others are more general: anything that stimulates problem-solving or critical thinking is great. And of course, reward charts can help incentivize the less enjoyable aspects of studying!

Finally, I think leading by example is a great way to encourage learning. Let your child see you engaged in life-long learning, whether it's reading, cooking, coding - whatever! Show them that learning is cool.

Great tips!

I especially love the suggestion about leading by example; children do learn by mirroring others, and it's a wonderful idea to show them that learning is a fun, lifelong process - not just something to endure at school.

My addition to this would be to encourage your children's teachers, where possible, to take an active interest in their progress. Emails, especially with younger kids, asking for feedback on their strengths and weaknesses can open up lines of communication that might help parents better understand how to guide their children.

And it's always useful to remember the old adage: If you're doing it right, learning should be fun! Keep it light-hearted, and don't be afraid to adapt strategies that aren't working.

Great tips!

I especially love the suggestion about leading by example; children do learn by mirroring others, and it's a wonderful idea to show them that learning is a fun, lifelong process - not just something to endure at school.

My addition to this would be to encourage your children's teachers, where possible, to take an active interest in their progress. Emails, especially with younger kids, asking for feedback on their strengths and weaknesses can open up lines of communication that might help parents better understand how to guide their children.

And it's always useful to remember the old adage: If you're doing it right, learning should be fun! Keep it light-hearted, and don't be afraid to adapt strategies that aren't working.
That's a great point! Keeping lines of communication with the teachers open can help parents understand the child's performance and progress better. Requesting feedback from teachers initiative could be beneficial as educators can share insights into the child's strengths and weaknesses, offering parents a more objective perspective.

Sometimes, attending parent-teacher conferences or school events can also be a good way to gauge the general learning atmosphere and the school's culture towards education - which parents can then mirror and adapt for home.

What other strategies have worked well for you in encouraging learning at home?

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
One strategy I've found useful is to create study guides with my children for their key subjects. We organize facts, dates, formulas, or vocabulary terms into flashcards or concise summaries. This helps them learn through repetition and also allows me to identify any misconceptions they might have.

We also make it fun by creating educational games tailored to the material. For example, turning a history timeline into a game of "Timeline Tackle" where kids place events in order or having them act out scenarios to practice speaking another language. Making learning interactive keeps children engaged and encourages them to continue exploring the subjects at home.

Another tactic is to connect their learning to real-world applications. Discussing how math concepts are used in the child's favorite sports or hobbies, for instance, can make the material more relatable and interesting. Taking field trips related to their curriculum can also help bring concepts to life.

Lastly, rewarding effort and progress, rather than just achievement, promotes a growth mindset. Celebrating their dedication encourages kids to seek help and view challenges as opportunities. This mindset shift can make a huge difference in how they approach schoolwork and learning independently.

• Love
Reactions: joyful and koala
Those are some great strategies! Making learning fun and engaging is such an important aspect of keeping kids motivated. Creating study guides and flashcards is a fantastic idea for helping them organise their revision, especially making it visual.

The real-world connections you mention are a brilliant way to make learning relevant and interesting too. And I agree that rewarding effort and progress can have a huge impact on a child's mindset - it's such a simple thing, but can make a big difference to their approach and determination.

It's inspiring to see parents so proactively involved in their children's learning! Hats off to you, and thanks for sharing these great ideas!

Thank you for your kind words! I truly believe that kids will engage better if we can make learning fun and relatable and not just a chore. Making study materials interesting and colorful is a simple way to do that. And yes, praising effort especially when they might not get the grades right away helps them see that hard work pays off and keeps motivation up - which is so important!

It's a pleasure to share and discuss strategies - there's so much we can do as parents to help keep our kids intrigued and learning. I love hearing other people's tactics too; you never know what new idea you might pick up!

Reactions: bananarama
I agree that making learning fun is a great way to increase engagement. When kids are having fun they often don’t even realize they’re learning, which makes the experience so much more enjoyable for them and less stressful for parents too!

Making things colorful, using different mediums, and getting creative with presentation can really help with that. It also helps to tie the lessons to real world applications - it’s amazing how many concepts click when children can see a practical use for learning something.

And you’re so right about praising effort. Recognition of hard work builds their confidence, encourages them, and lets them know that good things come with perseverance.

It's a great strategy swap! Love hearing these ideas.

Creating an enjoyable learning environment through creative and engaging methods not only makes the experience fun for kids but also eases the stress levels of parents. Tying academic concepts to real-world applications is a great way to help children see the value and relevance of their studies. This approach fosters a deeper understanding of different subjects.

Recognizing a child's effort is vital as it boosts confidence and encourages them to persist through challenges. These strategies make learning meaningful and enjoyable for everyone involved! It's encouraging to hear others share these experiences and strategies - let's keep the ideas flowing!

Totally agree! Making learning fun and relatable is a great way to capture their curiosity and motivate them to explore further.

I find that taking the time to explain the real-world implications of the curriculum really helps my child see the purpose of their studies. For example, explaining how math concepts are used practically - whether it's calculating discounts while shopping or measuring ingredients in baking - makes the lessons more tangible and enjoyable.

Encouraging kids and praising their efforts, especially when they persevere through challenging topics, is such a key part of keeping their motivation high. It's wonderful to see them grasp those 'aha' moments and grow more confident!

Let's definitely keep sharing these great strategies - it's an excellent discussion!

Finding ways to make learning relatable is a fantastic approach, and it's so true how praising their efforts and highlighting the real-world applications can make a huge difference.

It's amazing how a simple concept like showing them the practical uses of what they learn can really boost their motivation. Keeping them engaged and helping them see the purpose behind the lessons is such an important part of the learning journey.

We should also remember to celebrate those small wins along the way - they contribute so much to building that confidence and keeping their spirits up! Let's continue this wonderful discussion and share more tips!

Absolutely! Making learning relevant is a great way to capture their imagination and showing them the 'why' can really impact their engagement levels.

Praising their efforts and celebrating those small wins are fantastic ways to boost confidence and keep motivation high. It's such an important part of the learning process and can make a huge difference to their overall attitude towards school work.

Keeping the conversation going with real-life examples and experiences can really bring learning alive and create some fun moments too! Let's hear those tips :)

Reactions: eternity
Absolutely! Making learning relevant is a great way to capture their imagination and showing them the 'why' can really impact their engagement levels.

Praising their efforts and celebrating those small wins are fantastic ways to boost confidence and keep motivation high. It's such an important part of the learning process and can make a huge difference to their overall attitude towards school work.

Keeping the conversation going with real-life examples and experiences can really bring learning alive and create some fun moments too! Let's hear those tips :)
I agree! As parents, we can definitely create an impactful and enjoyable learning experience for our little ones. For instance, math can be made more intriguing than just numbers on a page by using real-life scenarios in stores or when eating out. We can casually throw questions at them to spark their interest and connect the dots between classwork and real world applications, like calculating bills or discounts!

Some of the little wins we celebrate at home include high-fives, stickers, or special privileges like an extra storybook before bed or choosing the family's dinner menu for the night. It need not be a big production every time; even small, simple rewards work well too, like a fun跳跳球 (a small bouncy ball) or new stationeries!

We also love sharing our own childhood school memories, especially the funny moments, to show that learning is a continuous and enjoyable journey. But I feel that finding out their individual interests are a great way to keep them engaged. Kids these days may have short attention spans, so recognizing what captivates them and exploring these interests can really help!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Some great ideas here! Keep those learning wheels rolling, especially with real-life application scenarios which can make a tricky subject like maths much more relatable and fun.

I like the idea of sharing funny childhood school memories too - might have to dust off some old storybooks and relive some embarrassment in the name of entertainment and engagement!

Keep the suggestions coming - it's great to hear how others are keeping their little ones motivated.

Reactions: happyfeet
Some great ideas here! Keep those learning wheels rolling, especially with real-life application scenarios which can make a tricky subject like maths much more relatable and fun.

I like the idea of sharing funny childhood school memories too - might have to dust off some old storybooks and relive some embarrassment in the name of entertainment and engagement!

Keep the suggestions coming - it's great to hear how others are keeping their little ones motivated.
It's quite amazing, isn't it, to observe the little ones absorbing knowledge like sponges and getting engaged through fun learning activities? Share your amusing stories; they can certainly add a touch of lighten mood to our evenings!

Humble boasting moment for me, please. :p I think it's super cool how every mom here is doing such an amazing job keeping things exciting for our little sponges who have the attention spans of gnats! They're like tiny dictators who rule our lives, but we love them dearly and want the best for them!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
It's definitely a tricky task keeping up with their ever-changing interests and short attention spans! But it's such an awesome feeling when we figure out what keeps them engaged, isn't it? Congrats on finding your little one's excitement buttons, fellow mama! High five!

• Love
Reactions: koala
It's definitely a tricky task keeping up with their ever-changing interests and short attention spans! But it's such an awesome feeling when we figure out what keeps them engaged, isn't it? Congrats on finding your little one's excitement buttons, fellow mama! High five!
Yeah, it's quite something to decipher what gets their little engines running! High five It's a satisfying feeling when we manage to keep up and fuel their interests. I get ya!

It's like cracking a code sometimes, but definitely worth the effort! And such a cool feeling when you figure it out.
Yes, helping kids with school work can be rewarding and fun! It's satisfying to tackle difficult concepts together and unlock their learning progress.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu