• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several parents shared their strategies for helping children with complex homework and encouraging them to become motivated, independent learners. Creating an environment where learning is viewed as a process involving mistakes and struggles was a common theme. Asking guiding questions and having children talk through their thought processes were effective techniques, with breaks and physical activity also recommended when kids needed help resetting their perspective. The value of breaking large tasks into smaller, manageable chunks and creating cheat sheets for research practice and motivation was emphasized. Parents acknowledged the importance of honesty when they were unable to help and reached out to teachers for support. This approach taught children that seeking help was acceptable and encouraged them to take ownership of their learning, boosting their confidence. The discussion highlighted the rewards of fostering independent thinking and watching children develop their own successful study strategies.

I'm interested in hearing strategies you all use to help your children focus and make the most of homework time.

I find that with my older kids, the work is more complex and requires a deeper understanding - it's not just memorization and regurgitation like it was in elementary school. It feels like a whole new learning curve for all of us! I'm interested in hearing about your techniques for tackling the harder stuff and helping your kids stay engaged and motivated.

Also, what do you do when you're faced with a situation where you just don't know how to help? I've been there a few times already this year, especially with some of the new Common Core math methods - totally foreign to me! How do you handle that without losing your cool or giving your kid the wrong idea about what "right" looks like?

Looking forward to hearing your tips!

One thing I try to focus on is creating an environment where kids understand that learning is a process; it's okay to make mistakes, struggle, and not immediately understand something especially if it's new and difficult.

When I'm out of my depth , I try to help my child work through the problem themselves by asking guiding questions - sometimes just having them talk through the steps they'd take to solve it helps them clarify their thinking, even if we don't always get to an answer. If I'm really stuck, I'll have a cheat sheet of resources - a simple how-to guide for some of the more complex math concepts, or a list of websites that might explain the concept in a different way.

It's also good to remember that sometimes kids just need a break, and that's okay too - it's useful to schedule some physical activity or a snack break after a particularly frustrating stretch of work.

And if all else fails, there's no harm in admitting to your child that you're stumped and reaching out to the teacher for help - they'd rather know you're doing this than giving incorrect information! I usually try to do this in advance, though, so my kid understands that it's not because their question is 'too hard.'

Would love to hear other people's strategies too; it's a constant challenge!

Great strategy! I totally agree with creating an environment where learning is seen as a process; it's so important for kids to understand that making mistakes is all part of the journey, and helps them develop resilience too.

Asking guiding questions is a fantastic tactic - often helping them talk through their thought process uncovers gaps in their understanding, which can then be addressed without giving away the answer outright.

Having a cheat sheet of resources is a brilliant idea, it must really help to have some go-to sites or guides for those tricky concepts. I also like your approach of being honest with your child when you're out of ideas, and looping in the teacher - better to get help from the expert! It's a great model for the child too, teaching them that asking for help isn't something to be afraid of, and that the teacher is there to support their learning.

I find that breaking down big tasks into smaller chunks helps, especially with longer projects. Also encouraging kids to start with the bits they feel more confident about, which can give them a sense of achievement and motivate them to tackle the harder parts.

It's also so true that breaks are necessary and help reset minds - throwing in some physical activity is a great way to refresh thinking.

I'm so glad we're on the same page regarding the learning process and its intrinsic value, especially the bit about mistakes being an essential part of learning - it's something every parent should instill in their children.

Your tactics are spot on! Keeping the child engaged through conversations that encourage them to share their thought process is a really nuanced way of gauging their understanding, and I'm sure it makes the experience more enjoyable too.

The cheat sheet idea was born out of necessity, but it's also a great way to model good research skills - an important life skill. And yes, there's no use pretending to know everything when we don't; being honest about our own limitations shows them how to deal with such situations gracefully and seek appropriate help.

Starting with the easier parts first is definitely motivating, and breaking down tasks makes them seem more manageable - it's a method that works for adults too! And including some physical activity in breaks is a wonderful idea; I find it helps reset not just their energy levels but also their perspective on the task at hand. They come back refreshed and often with a new idea or two!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Happy to hear you think so highly of the methods! It's quite the rewarding approach when you see children understand and enjoy learning.

The cheat sheet research skill is an important life hack, and I'm glad we're on the same page about modeling honesty and grace when faced with difficult topics. kids often pick up on our cues regarding how to react to challenging situations.

And yes, breaking down tasks makes a huge difference in their perceived difficulty - it's amazing what a little perspective shift can do for motivation! I'm glad you've found value in these tactics too; hopefully, more parents can adopt some of these strategies and see the benefits!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness and nature
The methods sound rewarding, especially with young minds. The cheat sheet life hack is a great tactic to approach research with honesty and grace, which is an important lesson for life. Breaking down tasks - what a wonderful perspective shift to foster motivation! It's always heartening when strategies work out!

The cheat sheet method is a fantastic way to approach research and prepare for any kind of task. Teaching kids to break down bigger tasks into manageable chunks helps them develop essential life skills and keeps them motivated! It's amazing to watch these strategies work their magic.

Breaking larger tasks into cheat sheets is a great way to make homework less daunting for kids. It fosters the development of essential life skills and keeps motivation high - a winning approach! Watching them learn and apply these strategies is rewarding.

That's a wonderful strategy to support children with their homework! Presenting manageable steps and having them summarize the process on cheat sheets can make tasks feel less overwhelming. It's great to intentionally foster skills like time management, organization, and study habits - these will be invaluable throughout their academic journey. And seeing kids adapt and apply these strategies independently is a proud parenting moment. Well done!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Thank you! It's definitely a focus of mine to help them develop those essential study skills - and hopefully, it'll pay off with less stressful homework times down the track. I'm always excited to see them take on board strategies and adapt them for themselves too - it's such a great habit to get into early. It's so encouraging to hear your thoughts!

Absolutely! It's wonderful when children start developing their own strategies and adapting them based on what works best for them - it's a great foundation for independent learning. It can be a challenge, but definitely worth it to see them take responsibility for their own learning and develop those essential skills. Encouraging them to adopt good study habits early on is a fantastic approach!

It's so true - watching them grow into independent learners is rewarding, and laying the foundation for their study skills is such an important part of it. It's a process too - as they grow and develop, what works changes, and being able to adapt and guide them through that is fun and challenging! Seeing them take ownership and pride in their own methods and successes is great.

So true - it's a joy to watch the lightbulb moments happen and for them to figure out what works best for them. The independence and pride that comes with learning how to learn is a great skill and one that will serve them so well! I love hearing their logic and thought processes too as their minds develop - such an exciting journey!

Those moments are certainly rewarding, and it's beneficial to encourage independent thinking from an early age. It instils a great skill set for life-long learning. The confidence gained from working something out for themselves is a real boost too! It's great to hear your enthusiasm; those lightbulb moments are precious :)

I couldn't agree more! It's incredible how empowering it can be for kids to figure things out on their own, and the confidence boost is an added bonus. The goal is to prepare them for a world of continuous learning, and what better way than to cultivate intrinsic motivation and independent thinking skills? Those lightbulb moments are truly special and make it all worthwhile!

Reactions: bananarama
Those lightbulb moments are precious and such a great incentive to continue encouraging self-learning and independence. It's a wonderful strategy to help them develop vital critical thinking skills and adaptability, which are so important in today's fast-changing world. We're setting them up for success with these essential skills that can be transferable across various subjects and situations.

Reactions: koala
Absolutely! It's rewarding to witness those 'aha' moments when kids grasp a concept independently. By fostering self-learning, we empower them with skills that will serve them well across different subjects and scenarios. Critical thinking and adaptability are key attributes for success in today's ever-evolving world. Well said!

I completely agree, it's a wonderful feeling to witness their cognitive gears turning and then having that 'Aha!' moment. We're setting them up for success now and in the future!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu