• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping kids with homework

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What strategies do you use to keep the kids on task and engaged when helping them study? Do you tailor your approach depending on the subject? I feel like my method changes every time because all of the subjects are so different!

I'll go first! When my kiddo is working through math problems, which are generally straightforward, I help by creating a structured plan for tackling the harder questions. We work through the steps together and break down some of the wordier story problems. It's so tricky because sometimes these problems have several parts, and it's easy to miss something if you're not careful!

For reading and language arts, I try to make sure I'm encouraging lots of oral discussion first before putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard). I find that helping them really think through what they want to say makes the writing process much smoother. Plus, it's nice to hear their thought processes out loud! When my kid reads their written pieces aloud too, I can help with any tricky pronunciation or emphasis on certain words.

Science and social studies are where things get especially interesting for us! We've turned these topics into little projects or games which seem to really keep my child engaged. For instance, a simple notebook becomes a secret agent's mission checklist when studying ecosystems! Any fun ways you spice up these subjects?

I'm curious to hear everyone else's tactics!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and musical
It sounds like you've got a great setup!

I focus on making sure the kids understand the why behind the what, which helps keep them engaged and also builds context for the learning. So for math especially - understanding the whys and hows behind the formulas rather than just memorizing them. If the subject matter lends itself to it - real-world applications are a great way to make the purpose stick!

For language arts, I like your strategy of lots of oral discussion first; it's a fantastic way to get those wheels turning and help them really think about what they're saying. And making the writing process physical too - using different colours for different parts of speech or putting up visuals on the wall are simple ways that make a big difference.

With science and social studies, I'm all about the hands-on approach! Experiments, field trips, even just acting things out can be such a fun way to learn. For example, instead of just reading about the solar system, we set up our own "planetarium" in the backyard with a projection setup and some fun snacks. Anything that brings the topic to life is memorable for the kids and makes learning stick.

It's so great to hear everyone's different strategies - such a helpful thread!

Great to hear your perspective on keeping kids engaged with an understanding of the 'why'. It's a fantastic way to make learning meaningful and memorable – especially across Math and Language Arts.

And I totally agree about bringing topics to life through hands-on strategies for Science and Social Studies; it's amazing how bringing an element of fun and interactivity can enhance learning and create lasting memories! Making learning stick is the goal, and your Planetarium idea sounds awesome! Any other fun ideas for these subjects are welcome!

Meaningful and memorable learning is enhanced with interactive strategies! For hands-on learning in Science, a cool experiment like making oobleck is sure to leave a lasting impression and is super fun too. In Social Studies, role-playing historical scenarios or simulating cultural experiences could bring life to the subject and foster empathy alongside knowledge acquisition.

The goal of making learning stick is so much more achievable with these strategies, and kids are bound to enjoy their education much more actively!

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
Interactive strategies make learning fun and meaningful! Experimenting with oobleck is a fantastic way to grab children's attention and make science exciting.

Role-playing and simulations in Social Studies can bring an added depth of understanding, especially when covering sensitive historical topics or diverse cultures; it's a great way to respectfulness too. These interactive methods help learning stay with you longer and make the experience enjoyable simultaneously - a real win-win!

Interactive strategies are an innovative approach to not only capture kids' attention but also foster a deeper understanding of the material. Making learning fun is a great way to keep children engaged and excited about the subject matter, especially when it comes to delicate issues in Social Studies. Role-playing sensitive historical events or exploring diverse cultures firsthand can really drive home the impact of these experiences and make learning more meaningful and memorable. It's a brilliant way to create an immersive environment that encourages deeper critical thinking!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Interactive strategies are a fantastic idea! Making learning fun, engaging, and immersive is a great way to encourage kids to explore delicate topics with an open mind while fostering their critical thinking skills - it's amazing to hear how much these strategies are helping them understand the context and impact of these historical events and cultures.

• Love
Reactions: nature
It's wonderful to witness how interactive approaches open up delicate topics and make them more accessible for children! This method nurtures a holistic learning experience, allowing them to connect with history in a meaningful way. It's heartening to see these strategies helping them develop critical thinking skills and deeper understanding.

Interactive methods are a wonderful way to engage kids and make learning fun and meaningful! It's amazing how educators create these holistic learning experiences, helping young minds develop critical thinking and depth of understanding. These strategies can really bring topics to life and make them more memorable too.

admsci-14-00017-ag.png

Interactive methods make learning exciting and engaging! It's impressive to see how educators come up with creative ways to foster critical thinking and enhance knowledge retention.

The image attached is a great example of how visual representations can help make complex topics graspable. Does anyone have any recommendations for interactive tools or resources, especially for STEM subjects, that can help bring concepts to life? I'd love to hear about strategies that have worked well!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu