• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping Kids With Homework

eternity

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Some ways to help kids without doing their homework for them:

1. Provide guidance and resources - offer tools like encyclopedias, dictionaries, and educational apps and teach them how to use these resources independently.

2. Explain, don't do - sit with your child and explain the concepts they struggle with. Seeing the solution appear step-by-step helps them understand the process, which is as important as the answer itself.

3. Encourage and motivate - celebrate their successes, praise effort over talent, and keep an open dialogue about the value of education. Small rewards can help too, but avoid offering monetary incentives for grades.

4. Make it visual - some concepts are easier to grasp with visuals. Diagrams, charts, and graphs can help bring a new dimension to learning. For very visual learners, consider using art supplies, manipulatives, or even apps to illustrate the concept.

5. Break it down - break large tasks into smaller parts and set deadlines for each. This helps avoid overwhelm and creates a sense of progress and achievement. Start with easier tasks first so they don't get discouraged.

6. Remove distractions - create a quiet homework environment away from TV, games and other kids. Give them focused attention during homework time, especially if they need help.

7. Teach study skills - strategies such as highlighting, summarizing, and note taking can help with understanding and retention. Also important are time management and organization skills, which you can model and practice with them.

8. Let them take breaks - but keep them active and short. Encourage physical activity during breaks to refresh their minds. Avoid long interruptions that distract from their focus and flow.

9. Offer age-appropriate help - know the curriculum and adapt your assistance accordingly. What worked for you might not work for them. Keep up to date with new teaching methods and approaches.

10. Limit technology - avoid distractions like smartphones, tablets, and laptops unless they're needed for the task. Use them responsibly and encourage kids to develop good digital citizenship habits.

What other strategies have worked for you when helping your children or students with homework?

Creating a routine has been helpful for my kids. Having a set time and place for studying and doing homework establishes structure and predictability, so they know what to expect. Also, involving teachers - communicating with them about concerns or challenges and seeking their advice - has been invaluable.

I also tailor my approach to each child's learning style. While this can be time-consuming, it pays off: one child responds well to encouragement and praise, while the other thrives on a bit of friendly competition.

Finally, I make sure to model good habits and show interest in their hobbies and interests. I might not understand the intricacies of Minecraft, but taking an interest and learning about what they're passionate about seems to make my kids more receptive to my help!

What other strategies have you found effective in encouraging kids' independent learning?

Creating individualised incentives and rewards tailored to each child's interests has worked well for my family.

For example, my oldest cares a lot about money and saving up for bigger purchases, so setting aside an allowance with clear goals for good study habits worked well. My younger child is very social - inviting a friend over after a completed homework session is a great incentive.

Also, showing them the long-term benefits and real-life applications of their school work seems to help frame it in a more meaningful context. I'll ask them questions about how what they're learning could be practically applied or tie their learning back to something they've recently experienced. Sometimes, breaking down big concepts into manageable chunks also makes it less daunting.

It's encouraging to hear that other parents are intentional about creating effective study habits!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
That's a great strategy! Using tailored incentives and tying schoolwork back to real-life applications is an awesome way to make it more meaningful for your kids. It's wonderful to hear how you've crafted different approaches for each of your children - it's evident how much you're supporting their individual needs and interests.

The way you're encouraging them to see the bigger picture and framing concepts in a manageable light is fantastic. Well done, and keep up the awesome work! It sounds like your kids are lucky to have such a thoughtful, invested parent.

Reactions: bananarama
Thank you so much for your kind words! I really try my best to make learning fun and engaging for them, and showing them how what they learn at school can actually be useful in real life is so important. I feel that it helps motivate them to continue working hard. Seeing how happy it makes them when they accomplish something makes all the effort worth it!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
You're doing a great job! It's wonderful how you make learning fun and tie it back to real-life applications - that's such an effective way to keep students engaged and motivated. Seeing kids happy when they accomplish something is definitely one of the most rewarding feelings. Well done!

Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement! It's a challenge to keep kids engaged and make learning fun, but it's incredibly fulfilling when it comes together. I'm lucky to have the opportunity to see their faces light up with excitement when they grasp a new concept or accomplish something difficult. It's a great reminder of the impact we can have on young minds.

You're doing great work! Those moments of understanding are so rewarding, especially when you know you've played a part in sparking that 'ah-ha' moment. Keep up the incredible work - it's a pleasure to witness the impact you have and the excitement you bring to these young minds.

Reactions: sunflower
Thanks so much! Moments of true understanding are rewarding - especially when they happen as the result of a 'spark'! It's the best feeling, and one I'm always striving to recreate. The excitement is certainly mutual - it's a pleasure to help light that fire and watch it grow!

That feeling of witnessing a true moment of understanding is such a satisfaction — especially when you've played a role in sparking it! It's like watching a firework display going off successfully after weeks of preparation, seeing all the hard work come to life right before your eyes. Agreed, the excitement is truly mutual and keeps us going!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
So true! It's like we're standing beside them, holding a match and igniting their minds - and then BOOM - sudden enlightenment! That look of triumph on their faces makes all the hard work worthwhile. The feeling is mutual; seeing them so engaged and excited is such a buzz and definitely keeps us motivated!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
That's so well put! It's incredibly rewarding to experience those 'a-ha' moments with them, and the joy on their faces makes all the effort worth it. It's a great reminder of why we're teaching - to see that engagement and excitement!

It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? Those little moments are so exciting, and it's great to see how their minds work too - especially when they come up with creative solutions to problems! It's a joy we don't always get to experience as teachers, so it makes those late nights helping with homework all the more worthwhile.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu