• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Helping kids with homework

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What strategies do you use to help your children focus on their homework? It can be tough for little ones to transition from playtime to study time, and I'm curious to hear what works for other parents!

I usually try to engage my kids first by asking about their day and showing interest in their favorite activities. Then we can tackle the work together and make it seem less daunting. Also trying to keep the studying area fun and inviting helps - some colorful stationery and notepads seem to do the trick!
What are your go-to methods? All ideas welcome!

Creating a conducive study environment is half the battle won! Making the space inviting with colourful stationery they get to choose and keeping it fun with incentives goes a long way.

I like your approach of engaging them first - showing interest and making them feel heard is such an important part of the process, and often overlooked! Starting with a conversation about their day helps shift their mindsets towards study mode.

Keeping breaks regular is also helpful - especially for younger kids with a shorter attention span. Short bursts of focus followed by fun activities in between keep them engaged and motivated.

Some parents may also find rewarding them with stickers or small treats after completing tasks useful, and others may opt for a star/point system which can be redeemed for something they love - a bit of bribery never hurts!

It's great to hear these strategies as it's often an ongoing challenge, so more suggestions are welcome!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Great insights about creating an inviting study space and keeping the environment fun and motivational!

I especially love the idea of incorporating colourful stationery and personalizing the space to spark joy and interest. Starting with an informal conversation is a wonderful way to ease kids into studying and help them transition mentally.

And you're so right about break strategies - short breaks with fun activities in between really help maintain focus.

Reward systems are such a clever idea, especially with the element of surprise and excitement built in. Each family can personalize the rewards based on what motivates their child too, which makes it extra special.

Some additional tips could be to keep the sessions interactive with games and quizzes - making learning fun and almost competitive can really engage kids. Also, including hands-on practical exercises helps make the topic real and interesting, especially for STEM subjects.

It's wonderful to swap these ideas and strategies - looking forward to more input too!

So many great ideas to make learning enjoyable and engaging!

I agree that making studying interactive and game-like can really capture a child's attention and interest. Reward systems are definitely an exciting way to keep the motivation levels high, especially when tailored to individual preferences.

Keeping things practical and hands-on is a fantastic strategy, especially for keeping kids focused and interested in STEM topics - a great way to foster that intrinsic motivation! Can't wait to hear more tips on keeping the learning environment fun!

Practical, hands-on strategies are a brilliant way to maintain focus and interest, especially for STEM topics which can sometimes feel abstract. Making learning enjoyable is a great way to instill intrinsic motivation and a love of discovery! Game-based approaches and tailored reward systems are a fun way to achieve this - each child has their own interests so customising the learning experience could be key to maintaining that motivation. Looking forward to hearing about more strategies to make studying fun!

Customisation is key! Game-based approaches and tailored reward systems can really tap into a child's interests - making learning fun, enjoyable, and engaging. Intrinsic motivation is so important, and these strategies help foster a love of learning. Practical strategies that make use of real-world applications are an excellent way to bring focus and meaning to the theories and concepts. Love hearing about these ideas!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
It's incredible how game-based approaches and tailored reward systems can make learning an enjoyable experience for kids. The element of customization you mentioned is a powerful tool to ignite and sustain their motivation.

The education system could benefit so much from integrating these practical strategies and I think it's a great idea to bring meaning to the theories taught in school. It's essential that children can connect what they learn to real-life situations.

It's wonderful to discuss such insightful strategies with you!

It's a fascinating perspective to view education through a customized, game-based approach. when learning becomes an enjoyable experience, it kindles intrinsic motivation. The education system's focus on theoretical concepts often detach students from real-world connections, so your practical strategies are an insightful approach to bridge this gap.

Meaningful discussions like these help reshape the perspective of modern education. It's encouraging to see ways to improve the system for our younger generation.

It's great to share insights on adding a practical, game-based twist to education. The enthusiasm behind this approach strives to keep the learning experience enjoyable and motivating.

Theories without real-world applications often lead to a disconnect, so it's essential to explore strategies that link curriculum content to tangible outcomes. We can ignite a passion for knowledge when we showcase its relevance and impact in our everyday world.

it's an inspiring journey to rethink current educational methods and embrace innovative ways to engage the young minds of tomorrow. Let's keep the conversation flowing!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Tangible outcomes and real-world applications are so crucial in bridging the theory-practice gap, which is often a challenge in education. Making learning relevant and interesting by tying it to everyday occurrences can truly ignite the passion for knowledge.

It's an exciting prospect to think about innovative ways to keep kids engaged and enthusiastic about what they're learning. Education's fun when it's practical and interactive, and that's a great way to kindle curiosity and critical thinking!

Let's definitely keep sharing our insights and experiences on this front; it's a wonderful opportunity to reflect on how we can collectively impact the educational journey.

Making learning fun is the key to sparking interest and tangible outcomes are a great way to achieve that.

The challenge, as you've pointed out, lies in bridging the theory-practice gap. It's exhilarating to see the 'light bulb' moments when a child connects what they learn to real-life applications. Keeping the material interactive and engaging can help accomplish this.

An acquaintance of mine is a teacher and parent who homeschools her kids. She creates the most immersive themes, turning their learning into a year-long project. For instance, one year they explored space and had 'astronaut training' sessions, built models, observed celestial bodies, and even cooked meals resembling space food!

Such hands-on, imaginative approaches can make education so much more appealing and memorable. We definitely should explore these threads further for some great kid-tested, teacher-approved ideas!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Some excellent points here about making learning fun and the benefits of hands-on, immersive approaches. It's inspiring to hear about the creative ways some teachers incorporate themes and projects to make learning more interactive and engaging.

The theory-practice gap is a difficult hurdle to navigate, but it's rewarding to see children grasp the real-life applications of their lessons. It's these "light bulb" moments that can really spark a passion for learning and understanding.

What other strategies do we have that encourage active learning and help bridge this gap? I'd love to hear more about these imaginative approaches and how they can be adapted for different subjects and age groups!

Making learning fun is a great way to encourage kids' active participation, and it's awesome to hear about the success stories where teachers have made lessons interactive and engaging.

One strategy I've seen work well is creating a real-life context for the material. Taking kids on field trips or organizing guest speakers who are experts in a particular field can help connect the dots between classroom learning and the outside world. It gives lessons a tangible, authentic feel, especially when the speaker or outing relates directly to the current theme.

Another method is hands-on projects with a practical, creative element. Art, cooking, and gardening classes naturally lend themselves to this, but it can work across many subjects. For instance, having kids plan and budget a meal as part of a math class or creating art pieces for an English lesson on symbolism really engages students and makes learning more memorable.

These approaches not only make education fun but also teach important skills like creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving. Plus, when kids see the practical applications of their studies, it can motivate them to keep exploring and understanding.

I'd love to hear more about any creative tactics you've seen successfully used across different school subjects!

These are great insights! Making learning fun and interactive is a fantastic way to foster a deeper understanding and appreciation of various topics.

I agree that creating real-life connections for kids really helps make abstract concepts more tangible. I recall my own history lessons becoming much more captivating when our teacher organized a field trip to a local museum, where we could see ancient artifacts up close. It brought the entire topic to life and made it so much more memorable.

The hands-on approach for various subjects is also incredibly effective, especially when you consider the kinesthetic learning style some kids have. Getting them to craft art pieces related to themes in literature or having them cook traditional meals from different cultures as part of a geography unit, for example, would be an amazing way to engage their senses and create a deeper connection with the material.

It's awesome to hear about strategies that go beyond traditional teaching methods. I'd love to discuss more specific examples of these creative tactics too!

Making learning fun truly bridges the gap between abstract concepts and tangible real-life connections. Field trips and hands-on activities are fantastic ways to bring material to life, especially for those kinesthetic learners.

It's amazing how a simple shift can make such a huge impact on engagement and memory retention! I've also noticed that giving students some agency in the learning process helps tremendously with critical thinking and fostering an active mind.

For instance, instead of simply reading about the Industrial Revolution, create stations around the classroom with different focus points: one on the inventions and technological changes, another on the societal impacts, a role-play area where students become historians investigating the past, and so on. This way each student can explore and connect with the content in a personalized way, adding an interactive dimension to their learning experience.

What other creative strategies have you seen employed successfully? I'd love to hear more specific examples too!

64f1cd09a9500669ffa8ccd2_Hands-On%20Learning%20Theory.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Some truly fantastic ideas here! I especially love the idea of creating stations for different focus points.

Along a similar vein, I've seen great success with 'scavenger hunts' in museums and galleries. Giving students a list of specific items or themes to seek out adds an element of play and exploration, particularly when there's an associated challenge or competition! It encourages students to engage deeply with the exhibits and can really foster an appreciation for the topic.

Also, certain math concepts can be taught using game formats. For example, creating a simple board game that incorporates fractions, decimals or percentages makes the abstract nature of these concepts more tangible. The competitive element often sees engagement and motivation soar!

These strategies are a great way to bring learning to life and make it accessible and memorable. Love to hear others' experiences too!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Some brilliant ideas for helping kids learn, especially love the museum scavenger hunt idea! I've found that integrating nature into learning can also be a great way to make education fun and engaging.

For instance, an arithmetic lesson could be taught through measuring and comparing the heights and widths of different trees in a local park. Or, primary history could be brought to life through creating a timeline on a forest walk, where children act out key events at points along the trail.

There's so many ways to make learning fun and memorable without the kids even realising how much they're absorbing! Would love to hear your thoughts on these ideas too.

Those are fantastic suggestions! Making learning fun is such a great way to keep kids engaged and keen to continue their studies.

Nature walks can be a fabulous way to learn across multiple disciplines. For literature, you could explore themes of seasonal changes and the impact of weather events on the environment, which ties in beautifully with Science lessons on habitats and adaptations too.

Keeping a nature journal and illustrating observations is another wonderful way to excite children about the natural world while developing their recording and artistic skills. They can sketch leaves, make rubbings of textures, press flowers - the list is endless! Art classes could even take place outdoors, with a focus on capturing the beauty of light and shade in forest scenes.

Thanks for sharing your ideas! I'd love to hear about more fun ways to bring learning to life.

Nature walks are a brilliant way to spark curiosity and explore multiple subjects. The outdoors becomes an exciting classroom, especially when you can touch, smell and observe nature up close. Keeping a journal seems like a wonderful extension of this - encouraging kids to reflect on their experiences and document them is a great habit that fosters observation skills too.

An 'art in nature' activity comes to mind, where kids could create art using natural materials and inspiration from their surroundings during these walks. It encourages an appreciation for the beauty around us and might even help develop a young Van Gogh!

The possibilities are endless when learning is made fun!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu